Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Haze under glass of framed prints  (Read 8780 times)

Randy Carone

Haze under glass of framed prints
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 07:24:22 pm »

I think the suggestion of (old school) baby diapers is good or an old, worn out cotton t-shirt, cotton towel or the like.
Randy Carone

Bill Koenig

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:35 am »

When cleaning glass before framing I use a product called "Invisible Glass". Also, I don't use paper towels, I use news paper. This combo leaves NO streaks or residue of any kind.
Check out there web site.

http://www.invisibleglass.com/
Bill Koenig,

jjlphoto

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 12:02:21 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone
Most paper towels contain a binder, usually Vinyl Acetate Ethylene, which can leave invisible streaks that can then trap airborne vapors.

Great tips on not using paper towels. Didn't know they had stuff in them. I use worn out cloth diapers (from my kids) that have been through the wash over 100 times  
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Randy Carone

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 01:10:19 pm »

Bill,
Do you know if Invisible Glass contains ammonia? I couldn't find that info on their site.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:11:10 pm by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

colinm

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 01:18:45 pm »

It shouldn't. It's marketed specifically at the auto market, and ammonia's a big no-no there.
Colin

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »

Quote from: jjlphoto
Great tips on not using paper towels. Didn't know they had stuff in them. I use worn out cloth diapers (from my kids) that have been through the wash over 100 times  
Is that 100 times since they were last used for their intended purpose?

Jeremy

jjlphoto

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 03:06:13 pm »

Quote from: Bill Koenig
When cleaning glass before framing I use a product called "Invisible Glass". Also, I don't use paper towels, I use news paper. This combo leaves NO streaks or residue of any kind.
Check out there web site.

I went to the web site, can't tell if it has ammonia. Anything on the product label about it?
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

whawn

• The Daily Photographâ„¢
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »

This may seem heretical, and maybe it is, but I've found that newsprint sold for artist's use is very good at sucking the juices from a print.   It's cheap and reusable, and the pads come in several sizes, small to huge.  The downside may be that newsprint is 100% unbuffered wood fiber and could transfer acids to the print paper.  I'm thinking that, if it happens, the print paper's own buffering should neutralize any acid.  I place each print in the pad, with at least five sheets of newsprint between prints, for 24 hours.  I leave the prints on a normal drying rack for another day or so before framing, but I'm not sure that's necessary.  The newsprint pad must itself dry until the paper is no longer rippled before it's used again.  I see no out-gassing on prints framed three years ago.
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

Mary K

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 04:18:12 pm »

I've been using newsprint to outgas my prints for several years, and I haven't had any problems with the glass on my framed prints fogging up.  I buy the 24" rolls from Uline, and I also purchased the roll dispenser from them.  I use each piece once, then throw it away after 24 hours.  

Mary
Mary Konchar

framah

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 05:41:35 pm »

Is that 100 times since they were last used for their intended purpose?

Jeremy

Well, if you are  getting a brown haze on the glass,  this might be the problem.  

Just a shot in the dark on this!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up