Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blown out highlight warning onD100, not on S2  (Read 1986 times)

Joe Hardesty

Blown out highlight warning onD100, not on S2
« on: August 25, 2003, 03:46:50 pm »

Nemo,

It depends how you like to work. The hilite indicators are nice if you are using the large preview that does not show the histogram. Obviously, if you are using the histogram, it provides all the info you need. The only other advantage of the of the hilite indicators is that they are a little more noticeable--you might not notice the histogram pushing against the right side, but you can't miss the flashing red hilite areas.
Thanks for the memories!

Nemo Hoptoy

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 01:17:01 pm »

I come from a PJ background and am sticking my nose under the wedding photography tent. While assisting a local shooter I see that his Canon has a feature whereas the LCD shows what areas of the shot are blown out by flashing it, much like a Photoshop Gamut warning.
I've been leaning toward the Fuji S2 or D100 (closer to the S2 so far). I see the Nikon D100 has this feature wheras the Fuji S2 does not.
Does anyone, especially wedding shooters, miss this feature on the S2? Or does the histogram cover this just as well?

Thanks for the help.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 09:55:17 pm »

Having never shot wedding with a D100, I might not be able to help much.

I can however tell you that the blinking highlight mode is the default display mode on my D100 when I shoot landscape. I find it to be a great tool that is faster to interpretate than the histogram.

Overall though, I personnally find that the D100's exposure is not super accurate in many circumstances. I do never trust the camera without checking for blow out highlights. This is no problem at all when you shoot landscape, but it might be a problem for wedding or PJ work. From what I read, other DSLR don't perform much better though.

Best regards,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up