Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo vs NEC  (Read 12130 times)

headproductions

Eizo vs NEC
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:42:28 am »

My Sony Artisan is dying. I am having a hard time deciding between the Eizo CG241W and the NEC LCD2690WUXi2! Eizo has the reputation - NEC has IPS. Has anybody seen these side by side?

Hermie

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:21:04 am »

> NEC has IPS.

I've had both on my desk. In this specific comparison of CG241W vs. 2690, the difference is negligible IMO. I've had people at my desk who thought the EIZO was the display with IPS :-)

In the end, I went for the EIZO to replace my Artisan. The NEC is the better deal, but I liked the EIZO better.

If you have the opportunity, you should compare them side-by-side yourself.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:25:55 am by Hermie »

headproductions

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:44 pm »

If the difference is negligible what made you go for the Eizo? I would love to see them, but I can't find these monitors anywhere on display here in Chicago.

karrphoto

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:45 am »

I'll give you one more option.

HP LP2475W, which is the newest of the IPS panels, H-IPS.

Picked mine up for $625 from egghead and I LOVE it.  Calibration is easy, more inputs than I know what to do with (2xDVI, DisplayPort, HDMI, Component, Composite, Digital?)

Not even Eizo has a monitor out yet with this tech, only the HP.

Just to throw something else into the mix.  If you are in Chicago, I'm in NW Indiana, right on the state line (about 4 blocks) and you'd be more than welcome to check it out if you'd like.

Oh, comes with ALL cabled too.  HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, DVI->VGA, so you aren't left to buy your own $50 cable for connecting the monitor, something pretty good for a monitor at this price point.  1900x1200 resolution.

Hermie

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:22:53 am »

Quote from: headproductions
If the difference is negligible what made you go for the Eizo? I would love to see them, but I can't find these monitors anywhere on display here in Chicago.

A number of reasons:

- I found the uniformity of the EIZO CG241W to be better.

- Longer guarantee on the EIZO plus lack of support by NEC Europe. NEC USA is a completely different story I've heard.

- Two different software products for the NEC and each software package is tied to a specific region.
In Europe/Australia the NEC comes with basICColor software and in the US with NEC's own software. It was the US software in combination with the display that performed so well in Karl Lang's tests, but I just couldn't buy the software in Europe.

- At the time I had to make a decision, the NEC didn't come with a colorimeter optimized for the display.
The EIZO doesn't either, but instead EIZO's software includes the calibration/correction matrices to optimize supported calibration devices for this wide gamut display.

The newer 2690WUXi2 however, is available with a customized colorimeter, but personally I prefer EIZO's approach using calibration/correction matrices for a specific display in their software rather than in the hardware (NEC), since the former method doesn't render the colorimeter useless on other displays.

headproductions

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:03:47 am »

Thanks for your input. I wish I could see them side by side. But here in Chicago I can't find them on display at all.

headproductions

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:35:41 pm »

Placed an order for the NEC. Seems like the EIZO is not a clear winner and their decision not to bring the new CG242W to US was really disappointing!

headproductions

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 06:38:37 am »

Finally I received my NEC and 10.5.7 is out so I can calibrate it. The wide gamut is not all fun! These over saturated colors are making using my new NEC 2690wxui2 with spectraview unpleasent to use outside of photoshop. I've sent this feedback to Apple:

"Can we please have a way to control the over saturated colors on wide gamut monitors. Maybe a setting to treat all non color managed applications to be treated as sRGB or ColormatchRGB, with independent gamma control. I notice that the window buttons in iTunes look normal on a wide gamut monitor but in all other apps including the finder they are very over saturated. Is iTunes the only app that is color managed?"

The buttons on iTunes 8.1.1 look normal on this WG monitor, while all others are way off. So I wonder if iTunes is color managed?

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:35:35 am »

Hi
The challenge I have with the new Eizo is that you cannot view them more than a 30 degree angle. I know of a major retouching house that bought the Apple 30" instead of the Eizo for that reason. Working with a retouch artist you sit more than a 30 degree angle. The older models were fine as is our Quato.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 05:23:47 am »

Finally I received my NEC and 10.5.7 is out so I can calibrate it. The wide gamut is not all fun! These over saturated colors are making using my new NEC 2690wxui2 with spectraview unpleasent to use outside of photoshop. I've sent this feedback to Apple:

"Can we please have a way to control the over saturated colors on wide gamut monitors. Maybe a setting to treat all non color managed applications to be treated as sRGB or ColormatchRGB, with independent gamma control. I notice that the window buttons in iTunes look normal on a wide gamut monitor but in all other apps including the finder they are very over saturated. Is iTunes the only app that is color managed?"

The buttons on iTunes 8.1.1 look normal on this WG monitor, while all others are way off. So I wonder if iTunes is color managed?

There is an option to switch to SRGB mode on these monitors.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

headproductions

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 11:23:42 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
Hi
The challenge I have with the new Eizo is that you cannot view them more than a 30 degree angle. I know of a major retouching house that bought the Apple 30" instead of the Eizo for that reason. Working with a retouch artist you sit more than a 30 degree angle. The older models were fine as is our Quato.
Denis

Denis Are you talking about the CG241W or another model? The CG241W is not a IPS panel.

headproductions

Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:28 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
There is an option to switch to SRGB mode on these monitors.

Yes I know. It's just not very practical to switch from wgRGB to sRGB every time you leave photoshop.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:58:03 pm »

Quote from: Hermie
A number of reasons:

- I found the uniformity of the EIZO CG241W to be better.

Was ColorComp on? Its off by default (don't ask me why).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Eizo vs NEC
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:50 pm »

Yes I know. It's just not very practical to switch from wgRGB to sRGB every time you leave photoshop.

True - but you shouldnt really need to switch to SRGB every time u leave photoshop or Lightroom.

I only bother to switch over to SRGB when checking images I want to upload for the web, or doing web work that is color critical - otherwise, not really any point in switching to SRGB. Leave it in WGRGB.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up