Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: My beautiful book!  (Read 32037 times)

dalethorn

My beautiful book!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2009, 08:33:46 am »

Quote from: ncjohnboy
This seems to be headed in a flame direction, which was not my intent, and for which I apologize for any involvement.
dalethorn - Please check your PM folder. I sent you a PM.
John

It turns out that one need not have followed the link - the religious rant was included in the post at Landscape and Nature Photography / Seasons Of The Moon. I assume that that post's reactions carried over here for more than one person.

One unfortunate(?) aspect of modifying a post after the fact is when it's already been quoted elsewhere. The boys in Washington have to deal with that every second, which seriously dilutes the quality of their conversation with us. I hope we don't get so uptight here that we're afraid to be candid and spontaneous.

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 01:18:13 pm »

Sorry if my editing caused any confusion. I would rather propagate a little confusion than fan the beginning of a series of flames.

Dalethorn is correct. Yaakov Sinclair did mention religion in a post on another thread of the LL forums, which I had not seen. In his post, which can be viewed HERE Rabbi Sinclair provided a bit of personal history, and explained how his book came to be published. In addition to discussing some interesting technical aspects of his photos, he also told the story of how his project changed from a written work with religious themes illustrated with a few photographs, to a photographic work with religious themes that still contained a little writing.

I think Yaakov's rather long post was a heartfelt and lucid description of the journey taken by one artist to publish a book of his photographs. I don't think it qualifies as a rant, and I don't think Yaakov is pushing his religious beliefs on these forums. I don't see anything wrong with explaining how one's religious beliefs influence his art. Apparently, dalethorn sees things differently. We will just have to agree to disagree.

The matters of faith that are most critical to me this weekend and next are those concerning the basketball gods. Go Tar Heels!

John

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
My beautiful book!
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 01:34:34 pm »

I'm amazed at the amount of pettiness that I see in this thread, the world as we know it is literally falling apart around us, yet some around here seem to have nothing else to worry about but why someone is announcing book. Come on, please put pettiness aside and show some decency, allow a fellow photographer his 5 minutes of joy. Rising a little above small emotions wont cost you anything.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

dalethorn

My beautiful book!
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2009, 05:12:35 pm »

Quote from: ncjohnboy
Sorry if my editing caused any confusion. I would rather propagate a little confusion than fan the beginning of a series of flames.
Dalethorn is correct. Yaakov Sinclair did mention religion in a post on another thread of the LL forums, which I had not seen. In his post, which can be viewed HERE Rabbi Sinclair provided a bit of personal history, and explained how his book came to be published. In addition to discussing some interesting technical aspects of his photos, he also told the story of how his project changed from a written work with religious themes illustrated with a few photographs, to a photographic work with religious themes that still contained a little writing.
I think Yaakov's rather long post was a heartfelt and lucid description of the journey taken by one artist to publish a book of his photographs. I don't think it qualifies as a rant, and I don't think Yaakov is pushing his religious beliefs on these forums. I don't see anything wrong with explaining how one's religious beliefs influence his art. Apparently, dalethorn sees things differently. We will just have to agree to disagree.
The matters of faith that are most critical to me this weekend and next are those concerning the basketball gods. Go Tar Heels!
John

I enjoy religion immensely, and have posted a few instructional mini-articles elsewhere. I think it's great that Mr. Sinclair enjoys it as well. The difference I see with the postings here is that I don't get offended unless someone starts preaching. Many of the specific tenets of religions instruct us in photography and in these forums without us even being aware of it. All of that is good. My negative response took into account the SPAM nature of the long post, along with the advocacy of a particular religion, rather than tenets of that religion.

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:31 pm »

Those are some very powerful images my friend. Nice work indeed. I may have to get one of those to show up at my doorstep soon!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up