Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My beautiful book!  (Read 32038 times)

yasinclair

My beautiful book!
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:33:56 am »

Here's a shameless plug for my beautiful book Seasons of the Moon, which is still available at a discount price at http://www.focusmag.info/index2.htm

For more of my work, please visit http://www.seasonsofthemoon.com.

The book has been published by Focus Publishing and I want to thank David Spivak for doing an outstanding job on the printing at a very competitive price.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:35:06 am by yasinclair »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
My beautiful book!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:19:56 am »

Quote from: yasinclair
Here's a shameless plug for my beautiful book Seasons of the Moon, which is still available at a discount price at http://www.focusmag.info/index2.htm

The book has been published by Focus Publishing and I want to thank David Spivak for doing an outstanding job on the printing at a very competitive price.
Posting a message such as this on one occasion would raise eyebrows. To do it three times is beyond anything which could be considered acceptable here.

Jeremy

LoisWakeman

My beautiful book!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:55 am »

Here's a shameless plug for my beautiful book Seasons of the Moon
Shameless indeed - you aren't Frank Gallagher's alter ego by any chance?

Seriously, if you want a reputation as a spammer, you are going just the right way about it. How about contributing something helpful here by answering other posts rather than just expecting us to cough up on your behalf? Because this is an online community doesn't excuse you from the normal rules of polite society. (And surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder - so you come across as arrogant too. Not a good start.)

yasinclair

My beautiful book!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:35:37 am »

Quote from: kikashi
Posting a message such as this on one occasion would raise eyebrows. To do it three times is beyond anything which could be considered acceptable here.

Jeremy

My apologies.  I wasn't aware that announcing my book was unacceptable. How do I remove these messages?
thanks

yasinclair

My beautiful book!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:03 am »

Quote from: LoisWakeman

Seriously, if you want a reputation as a spammer, you are going just the right way about it. How about contributing something helpful here by answering other posts rather than just expecting us to cough up on your behalf? Because this is an online community doesn't excuse you from the normal rules of polite society. (And surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder - so you come across as arrogant too. Not a good start.)

Please forgive me. I wasn't aware that what I did was impolite. Who is Frank Gallagher?

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:10:01 am »

Hold on, hold on. I did look at your link and I like a lot of your photographs and I want to wish you congratulations on the publishing of your book.

I also tried to find it on Amazon.com and BN.com but was unable to and I was wondering if the Focus Magazine folks will do that for you?

Also, what was the minimum number of copies that Focus Magazine required?

How much per copy did Focus Magazine charge?

Where there any other charges or fees, in addition to the per book charge?

What promotion will Focus Magazine do for the book you just published through them?

Who did you work with over at Focus Magazine? Would you recommend them to other photographers?

Also, where are the copies stored, at Focus Magazine or is there a warehouse for later distribution?

Again, congratulations and good luck with the new book!

Kind regards,
Derek

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
My beautiful book!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:02:08 am »

Yaakov,
Welcome to Luminous Landscape.  Your work is really excellent.  Congratulations on the new book.  Sorry that we jumped at your SSP (Shameless Self Promotion).  We all do it, just most of us try to wait until we have more than a handful of posts.  Your work is excellent and easily worthy of extensive discussion on these boards.  Your writing is thoughtful and thought-provoking.  I particularly liked your broken-down cemetery, A VANISHED WORLD, with your discussion of Ansel Adams and the holocaust.  Fascinating juxtaposition.  Please join our community.  I think you have a lot to contribute.

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
My beautiful book!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:23:13 am »

Beautiful work Yaakov, I'm glad that you posted the link here otherwise I would have never known about it, I purchased my copy, good luck with rest.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:28:38 am by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
My beautiful book!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 11:30:30 am »

Quote from: kikashi

Jeremy

That's only your opinion, some of us are happy and want to hear of such news. I'm sorry but this isn't your private forum to impose your values on others, just don't respond if you don't like it. This is photography forum and his book is on photography, Yaakov has every right to share with us.

Lois, before preaching etiquette to others you should check your own first, who do you think you are to judge others and their work?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:28:09 am by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
My beautiful book!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:00:14 pm »

Quote from: fike
Yaakov,
Welcome to Luminous Landscape.  Your work is really excellent.  Congratulations on the new book.  Sorry that we jumped at your SSP (Shameless Self Promotion).  We all do it, just most of us try to wait until we have more than a handful of posts.  Your work is excellent and easily worthy of extensive discussion on these boards.  Your writing is thoughtful and thought-provoking.  I particularly liked your broken-down cemetery, A VANISHED WORLD, with your discussion of Ansel Adams and the holocaust.  Fascinating juxtaposition.  Please join our community.  I think you have a lot to contribute.
I agree - my comment was directed at the three identical posts and not at the work. It appears that there may be some people here who need to read something three times in three different places before it sinks in (and even then don't manage to spell correctly), but I suspect they are in the small minority.

Yaakov, your images are truly lovely and I enjoyed visiting your site.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:01:36 pm by kikashi »

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 04:55:01 pm »

I can't by the life of me understand why would somebody be bothered because a photographer could finally make it to print a book and share it with his/her colleagues. A quixotic venture indeed it is. Very few can get their work thru to be published. Maybe it is just plain envy some feel. Let me congratulate you Yaakov, not only for your outstanding work, but for your perseverance to get it published. I know what it takes for the ink to meet the paper.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:28:09 pm »

Very impressive photography. Very inspiring. Thanks.

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:40 pm »

Quote from: sergio
I can't by the life of me understand why would somebody be bothered because a photographer could finally make it to print a book and share it with his/her colleagues. A quixotic venture indeed it is. Very few can get their work thru to be published. Maybe it is just plain envy some feel. Let me congratulate you Yaakov, not only for your outstanding work, but for your perseverance to get it published. I know what it takes for the ink to meet the paper.
His book was printed, not published.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:39:02 am »

While I have not seen the book. Yaakov's work is marvelous IMO. I don't think there is any doubt of that. The issue raised is what constitutes spam. There may be many opinions of that. I know on the site where I am a moderator, the Large Format Forum, three basically identical posts promoting some product you are selling would be considered spamming and two of the posts would be deleted. You are allowed only one posting in our Announcements section. This is true for shows and other forms of personal PR too.

Hope you do well with it Yaakov. The book looks exceptional.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:42:36 am by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

DavidSpivak-Focus Magazine

My beautiful book!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 02:27:13 am »

Quote from: russell a
His book was printed, not published.

Incorrect.

The book has been printed by my publishing company in a contract between my publishing company and the printer. His book has an official ISBN that links directly to my publishing company. The book has been paid for by people who have ordered it. To be published is to have a book printed and have it put into circulation. It is available on Rabbi Sinclair's website, my website, and photobookconnoisseur.net. It will soon be available on Amazon.com. People can order the book today and have it delivered tomorrow from either Rabbi Sinclair's, or three of my own websites.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:36:32 am by DavidSpivak-Focus Magazine »

DavidSpivak-Focus Magazine

My beautiful book!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 02:36:53 am »

Quote from: jecxz
Hold on, hold on. I did look at your link and I like a lot of your photographs and I want to wish you congratulations on the publishing of your book. I also tried to find it on Amazon.com and BN.com but was unable to and I was wondering if the Focus Magazine folks will do that for you?

Yes, we will do that for him for Amazon. As far as BN, I believe they only list books that are sold in their retail bookstores. Having a book distributed in a retail bookstore like B&N is very expensive and not very profitable. We are, however; in discussions with a couple of potential distributors for the book. My own schedule has prevented this from happening sooner because of the economy and Focus Magazine.

Quote from: jecxz
Also, what was the minimum number of copies that Focus Magazine required?

There is very little price difference in the printing of a book between 500 and 1000. We can do 500, but it's not cost effective. Instead of paying $20 a book, you'd be paying $41 or $42. And that's just off the top of my head.

How much per copy did Focus Magazine charge?

I'm sorry, but this is private information that I cannot share with you. If Rabbi Sinclair wishes to, that's his decision.

Where there any other charges or fees, in addition to the per book charge?

There were, but I won't go into amounts. Focus Publishing was responsible for 100% of the layout and design of this book plus design of the dust jacket. Again, if Rabbi Sinclair wishes to disclose that information, it's up to him.

What promotion will Focus Magazine do for the book you just published through them?

We have aleady promoted it in our last issue by giving Rabbi Sinclair a multi-page spread of his photography plus his book was promoted on our subscriber cards where people who wanted to subscribe to the magazine, could also order a book. He will continue to have advertising in Focus for 5 additional consecutive issues plus advertising on our websites.

Who did you work with over at Focus Magazine?

Me.

As I said in another thread - there are people out there who want to print their own book, but the time and the hassle and the money of going to a printer and working with a printer can be lengthy especially if your vision is unclear. If Rabbi Sinclair had gone to either Meridian, Stinehour, Dual Graphics or Hemlock (LensWork's printer), he would have paid a great deal more, would have had to hire an outside designer, wouldn't have had anywhere close to as gorgeous of a dust jacket as he currently has and would be 100% responsible for handling all orders of his book. Instead, we dealt with the printer, designed the book and handle all shipping. Plus he has already received and will continue to receive free advertising.

In my opinion and I believe the Rabbi's as well, he got a heckuva deal. But it was worth it. The internet doesn't offer justice to how gorgeous the book is. At 9.5 x 11.5, on high quality hard cover boards and 115# galerie art silk text paper, the book weighs a good 3 or 4 pounds and is printed by the same printer that prints Focus Magazine.. and they do an AMAZING job.

Being Jewish myself, I took this project very personally and wanted to ensure the very best outcome possible.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:44:19 am by DavidSpivak-Focus Magazine »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
My beautiful book!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 04:42:04 am »

David, thank you for your honest replies.

Yacov, sorry some people were very negative towards you, try to ignore them, and again, congratulations on the book.

Kind regards,
Derek

LoisWakeman

My beautiful book!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 05:01:07 am »

Quote from: ddk
Lois, before preaching etiquette to others you should check your own first, who do you think you are to judge others and their work?
I was not complaining about the work - which is beautiful - just the notion that an online community doesn't need to abide by the normal rules of society. If I walked into a room of complete strangers and repeatedly promoted myself without first taking the time to get to know anyone, I think I would be regarded as pushy at best.

I'm sorry that my somewhat hasty reply came across as ruder than I intended.

LoisWakeman

My beautiful book!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 05:04:02 am »

Please forgive me. I wasn't aware that what I did was impolite. Who is Frank Gallagher?
I don't need to forgive you - what you did was hardly wrong - just not considered usual behaviour in many online communities. Your work and writing are beautiful and inspiring - so I wish you good luck with the book and your online ventures. Ignore the off the cuff remark about Shameless - as in the link I posted - it's a British TV comedy.

yasinclair

My beautiful book!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 06:37:04 am »

Dear Lois,

I appreciate your reply. To be honest, I never really thought of a forum being like a room of people, rather more like a notice board. I think the term used to be "bulletin board"

Obviously I am trying to get as many people as I can to look at my work, but I don't want to come across as pushy or arrogant. Although no-one can be too humble and I have work to do there, I'm sure.

Also, to be honest, I have a large family, thank G-d, of somewhere in excess of 9 children. The oldest just turned 18 and the youngest isn't three months, so life is a little busy to say the least, and I grab time for my photographs and try to maximize my efforts.

I do appreciate your best wishes and those or everyone else here.

May we all merit to live in world of peace.

Yaakov Asher Sinclair

I don't need to forgive you - what you did was hardly wrong - just not considered usual behaviour in many online communities. Your work and writing are beautiful and inspiring - so I wish you good luck with the book and your online ventures. Ignore the off the cuff remark about Shameless - as in the link I posted - it's a British TV comedy.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up