Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS410 bit monitor output  (Read 2232 times)

lbenac

• http://www.LucBenacPhoto.com
Photoshop CS410 bit monitor output
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:10 pm »

Hello,

I am considering very soon changing my Dell 2001FP to something better.
Following reading the posts in this forum and reviews I have narrowed down my choice between the NEC 2490 sRGB and the NEC 2690 aRGB with the calibration package.
I have read the various discussion about the advantage of each one of this monitor depending on the gamut of the image and/or the indented output web/printer.
If I understand correctly the issue comes from Photoshop/Windows providing the video card/DVI/monitor with 8 bit data only. If that was not the case than the whole pipeline would be 10 bit providing enough precision for a wide gamut monitor to handle sRGB images perfectly???
Since the comments made by Karl Lang where dated 2005 or 2006 and technology evolves (usually not at the same pace  across the board  ) would CS4 64 bit on Vista 64 have the same limitation. Being in 64bit has nothing to do with outputting 10bit preview but one progress might have triggered another one maybe  

I mostly take picture of natural subjects so limited gamut is primarily involved and I mostly output to web with limited printing on a cheap Canon inkjet - so the NEC 2490 seems like the best choice. That said I would also like to be a little bit future proof if it is possible and of course the attraction of the new...like wondering what my pictures really look like if the full gamut was presented on screen  

Thank you.

Luc.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:08:03 pm by lbenac »
Luc Benac
Amateur Photos from Canada, Fr

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Photoshop CS410 bit monitor output
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:26:24 am »

Quote from: lbenac
Hello,

I am considering very soon changing my Dell 2001FP to something better.
Following reading the posts in this forum and reviews I have narrowed down my choice between the NEC 2490 sRGB and the NEC 2690 aRGB with the calibration package.
I have read the various discussion about the advantage of each one of this monitor depending on the gamut of the image and/or the indented output web/printer.
If I understand correctly the issue comes from Photoshop/Windows providing the video card/DVI/monitor with 8 bit data only. If that was not the case than the whole pipeline would be 10 bit providing enough precision for a wide gamut monitor to handle sRGB images perfectly???
Since the comments made by Karl Lang where dated 2005 or 2006 and technology evolves (usually not at the same pace  across the board  ) would CS4 64 bit on Vista 64 have the same limitation. Being in 64bit has nothing to do with outputting 10bit preview but one progress might have triggered another one maybe  

I mostly take picture of natural subjects so limited gamut is primarily involved and I mostly output to web with limited printing on a cheap Canon inkjet - so the NEC 2490 seems like the best choice. That said I would also like to be a little bit future proof if it is possible and of course the attraction of the new...like wondering what my pictures really look like if the full gamut was presented on screen  

Thank you.

Luc.

Nothing really changed. The only workaround of the problem I know is the IPU (image procesing unit), that converts 8-bit signal to 10 bit output. It's implemented in some high-end, very expansive Quato Intelli Proof displays.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up