Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Metrics - A spreadsheet  (Read 10248 times)

Kim Bentsen

Camera Metrics - A spreadsheet
« on: February 22, 2009, 07:34:49 pm »

These days a lot of measuring takes place of cameras using the dxomark benchmark.

I was wondering who it would be useful for. Not many, relatively speaking.

If you have no investments in any DSLR system, and any system would meet your functional needs, then I guess it would make sense to scrutinize the offerings from all the makers of DSLR systems.

Photographers with investments in pro lenses would need to have extremely good reasons to jump to a different manufacturer, as it would be very costly. Both Canon, Nikon and Sony is pretty close i quality. No matter how brilliant Nikon and Sony would be, there is no way I would sell a suitcase of L-lenses and buy lenses from that other brand, just because they sell a slightly "better" camera. Canon would have to be absolutely and utterly hopeless and without future, compared to Nikon, for that to happen. And that is unlikely.

Chances are that the next generation of camera will match or exceed the competition whatever brand we are talking about.

My point is, that we are buying a camera system, and not a camera.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:19:37 pm »

Quote from: Kim Bentsen
My point is, that we are buying a camera system, and not a camera.

Kim, I agree completely with this point. I did prepare a trial version of this spreadsheet accordingly but we decided not to polish and publish it just now. There is the added complexity of the worksheet, instruction set and the length of the article to help insure that readers use it meaningfully. To guild this lilly comprehensively, it must be designed to take different buyer circumstances into account: for example, (1) those starting greenfield - the least complicated case; (2) those who are into a system with some equipment and would be selling and replacing at the same time, anf finally, of course it doesn't start and stop only with lenses - there are all kinds of other gizmos depending................. As it stands now, anyone in either category can make a short-list of bodies with the help of the tool provided here, then do the research and adding and subtracting of accessories to get a final comparative system cost. I think this is highly desirable to get a complete picture of relative end-costs.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

samirkharusi

• http://www.geocities.com/samirkharusi/
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:05 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
As it stands now, anyone in either category can make a short-list of bodies with the help of the tool provided here, then do the research and adding and subtracting of accessories to get a final comparative system cost. I think this is highly desirable to get a complete picture of relative end-costs.
With such a huge proliferation in models, I find the spreadsheet useful, even within one brand. Eg Canon offers a 450D, 50D, 5D2, 1Ds3 (also the 1000D) and when one is looking for a second camera then indeed the spreadsheet is an excellent tool. I think for many regulars on this site, their opinion on which first camera they want is carved in marble, legacy lenses and all that.
Bored? Peruse my website: [url=http://ww

jeremyrh

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:11:41 am »

[attachment=11703:cam_metrics.jpg]

Interesting to dust off my Excel skills and crossplot resolution and DxOmark. At one level there is a general correlation, but some groups show an inverse correlation, and there are some outliers. For example, I was interested in the Canon G10, which has good "resolution" (well, it has a lot of pixels) but poor DxOmark. On this basis it is not as attractive as the Pana G1.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:15:55 am »

Quote from: jeremyrh
[attachment=11703:cam_metrics.jpg]

Interesting to dust off my Excel skills and crossplot resolution and DxOmark. At one level there is a general correlation, but some groups show an inverse correlation, and there are some outliers. For example, I was interested in the Canon G10, which has good "resolution" (well, it has a lot of pixels) but poor DxOmark. On this basis it is not as attractive as the Pana G1.

Jeremy,

This is a very interesting representation. There are of course different ways of interpreting it - all useful. What struck me the most in looking at it is the existence of three "silos" and a cluster. The cluster is the high-end stuff to the North-West, and the three silos are the three vertical bands rising from the Resolution axis Northward. Within each of those ranges of Resolution, there is a very large spread of the DxOMark. Another way of looking at it is that there are several models within a breath of the highest DxOMark ratings, but lower in resolution, (and lower in price), so if you don't need the megapixels but want the quality, those look to be good bets. This is all grist for the mill which could be helpful to logical choice.

image66

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:09:15 pm »

I'm looking for the metric dealing with the intangible:  "Peer Pressure"

If we're really honest with ourselves, we'll acknowledge that price/performance metrics mean very little.  For the sports/wildlife photographer, nobody wants to show up with anything other than a HUGE Nikon or Canon lens when we know that our peers are doing the same and will be there.  If the F4 lens is just as good as the F2.8 lens and 1/4 the price and weight, we'll still haul out the F2.8 lens.

This also applies to new mega-mega-pixel cameras.  For all but the very rare print will there be any visible difference in the final print between a 12MP photograph and a 21MP photograph. Yet, we're going to get these latest/greatest full-frame 20+ MP cameras because of something other than a spreadsheet of price/performance data.  We've finally reached the point of diminishing returns and for the vast majority of photographers, buying the latest/greatest has little to do with true justification, but more to do with "we want it".

When a person truly understands and is able to separate emotion from facts, we will discover that the numbers game is just that--a game.  This week, it's the Sony that is on top, then next week, the D3X and the following week the Canon 5Dmk2.  But somebody will twist their RAW converter another way and the ordering of the three cameras is all changed.

None of these cameras are junk.  We've reached the point where anybody can get excellent results with any of these cameras.  Like somebody else said, you have to approach this from a "system perspective".  I have little time or respect for those who are constantly changing systems because of the "camera of the week".

Ken

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:26 pm »

Quote from: image66

I think it's directly proportional to "buyer's remorse", which could explain why you see so many people buying and then re-selling new DSLR equipment...

dalethorn

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 02:34:00 pm »

Someone like Michael, who owns many of these and has experience across the lines, should be able to add some value to this, at least by noting exceptions where the numbers don't correlate with the visual results.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:45:38 pm »

Quote from: image66

If we're really honest with ourselves, we'll acknowledge that price/performance metrics mean very little.  For the sports/wildlife photographer, nobody wants to show up with anything other than a HUGE Nikon or Canon lens when we know that our peers are doing the same and will be there.  If the F4 lens is just as good as the F2.8 lens and 1/4 the price and weight, we'll still haul out the F2.8 lens.

This also applies to new mega-mega-pixel cameras.  For all but the very rare print will there be any visible difference in the final print between a 12MP photograph and a 21MP photograph. Yet, we're going to get these latest/greatest full-frame 20+ MP cameras because of something other than a spreadsheet of price/performance data.  We've finally reached the point of diminishing returns and for the vast majority of photographers, buying the latest/greatest has little to do with true justification, but more to do with "we want it".

When a person truly understands and is able to separate emotion from facts, we will discover that the numbers game is just that--a game.  This week, it's the Sony that is on top, then next week, the D3X and the following week the Canon 5Dmk2.  But somebody will twist their RAW converter another way and the ordering of the three cameras is all changed.

None of these cameras are junk.  We've reached the point where anybody can get excellent results with any of these cameras.  Like somebody else said, you have to approach this from a "system perspective".  I have little time or respect for those who are constantly changing systems because of the "camera of the week".

Ken

Ken,

There are situations in which f/2.8 does more for you than f/4, because it means a doubling of shutter speed under lower lighting conditions, which for action photos can make the difference between a good shot and a miss. What you need depends on purpose, circumstances, audience, etc. If f/4 is good enough for you, that's fine, but it's appropriate to acknowledge that others may find the extra speed/light really useful and therefore are willing to pay for it.

As for resolution, there can be HUGE differences between a 12 and 21 MP - again depending on circumstances. You can either make much larger prints at any given PPI with the higher resolution camera, or you have much more headroom for cropping and still get excellent quality from the hi-res equipment. But like the case above, again is depends on your needs, shooting style, etc.

So, this needn't be a "numbers game" - but like any tool, its usefulness depends on whose hands it's in. Of course there are those people for whom money is no object, and who irrationally insist on being at the bleeding edge of the latest gear to hit the market. A tool like this wouldn't be much use to them, because they're buying whatever anyhow. It is meant for the more discerning, which there is reason to believe would include most people.

frugal

• http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »

I think the key is this is a useful tool, but it's part of a number of available tools. It gives you another way of looking at the DXOmark scores but that's not the whole picture. For instance, a huge consideration is what lenses you already have. For those with a large collection of expensive lenses, chasing small improvements in another manufacturer doesn't really make a lot of sense unless there's a very compelling feature, especially when you consider how much the manufacturers leap-frog each other, chasing who's on top right now would have you switching systems all the time.

A similar concern would be how old your current body is, and when you think a new body from that manufacturer will come out (and what it will cost).

For me, this is a very useful tool though because I'm coming to this fresh. I've always shot film but am getting ready to dive into my first DSLR now that full-frame bodies are available in the form-factor I want, and for a price I might be able to actually pay. With my 35mm gear I've shot old Olympus OM system gear so the collection of lenses I have aren't a big concern (all were bought used so not a lot of money in them and they won't work on any existing system without an adaptor and loss of functionality).

One comment I'd make that might improve the usefulness of the spreadsheet would be to adjust the comments for "reduction" to match when there's an increase. "Reduction" can mean anything from a very small difference in DXOmark score or a very wide margin, it would be nice to see something like "negligible reduction" vs. "substantial reduction".

Gary Gray

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:53 am »

I'll have to admit, I was curious enough to take a look at the spreadsheet.  An interesting exercise is measurbating is the conclusion I came to.  Not that somebody out there will not find this useful, but for me, the conclusion I've made is that all of this mathematical analysis of a camera (DXO Mark, Spreadsheets, etc...) may actually result in paralysis by analysis when it comes to making a good decision.  So many variables never enter into the equation.

Example... the 5DMKII measures very well mathematically and produces a very nice looking large print...no doubt of this.  However, given a choice of taking a 5DII to Antartica (for example) or a Nikon D2Xs (for example), which camera is going to give me better results?  In lieu of the reported 25% failure rate of the 5DII in slightly damp conditions, one must conclude that one may run a serious risk of never getting a shot if one leaves the house with their measurably better camera.  

Where does this factor in?

Another thing that is painfully obvious, is that the camera manufacturers have pretty much done all of this for you to begin with.  In essence, the price point.  Spend as much as you can afford and you stand a very good chance of getting as good a camera as possible at that price.

Just look at the price, plain and simple.

benInMA

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 12:12:07 pm »

One thing that is quite amusing about all this "numbers" talk here on this website is that 3-5 years ago my whole reason for coming here was to see Michael's non-quantitative comments on cameras.   (e.x. which cameras are horrible to operate while wearing gloves)   The site has come full circle in this way.

The numbers mean very little to me, it would be very difficult at this stage for me to justify purchasing anything new, the money could be better spent on workshops, travelling, etc..

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:49:34 pm »

Quote from: benInMA
One thing that is quite amusing about all this "numbers" talk here on this website is that 3-5 years ago my whole reason for coming here was to see Michael's non-quantitative comments on cameras.  

The numbers mean very little to me, it would be very difficult at this stage for me to justify purchasing anything new, the money could be better spent on workshops, travelling, etc..

Yeah - I feel the same way about myself - no need to buy new equipment at this stage - spend the money on making photographs. But you and I are not the only people who matter - there are others making decisions about buying or changing equipment for whom this may be helpful, depending. So this contribution was directed at those who may be in a mode to find it useful.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:55:07 pm »

Quote from: frugal
I think the key is this is a useful tool, but it's part of a number of available tools. It gives you another way of looking at the DXOmark scores but that's not the whole picture. For instance, a huge consideration is what lenses you already have. For those with a large collection of expensive lenses, chasing small improvements in another manufacturer doesn't really make a lot of sense unless there's a very compelling feature, especially when you consider how much the manufacturers leap-frog each other, chasing who's on top right now would have you switching systems all the time.

A similar concern would be how old your current body is, and when you think a new body from that manufacturer will come out (and what it will cost).

For me, this is a very useful tool though because I'm coming to this fresh. I've always shot film but am getting ready to dive into my first DSLR now that full-frame bodies are available in the form-factor I want, and for a price I might be able to actually pay. With my 35mm gear I've shot old Olympus OM system gear so the collection of lenses I have aren't a big concern (all were bought used so not a lot of money in them and they won't work on any existing system without an adaptor and loss of functionality).

One comment I'd make that might improve the usefulness of the spreadsheet would be to adjust the comments for "reduction" to match when there's an increase. "Reduction" can mean anything from a very small difference in DXOmark score or a very wide margin, it would be nice to see something like "negligible reduction" vs. "substantial reduction".

With a bit of extra formulating and formatting we could provide an "extent of reduction" indicator, but we thought that once you know a mosre expensive camera does less in one respect than its less expensive comparator, that gets the main point accross. You can easily infer how much less by looking at the numbers in the chart. All the base information is there.

As I've mentioned to Ken, I agree completely that for those who already have an investment in lenses, this becomes a real factor in switch-over decisions. Even for those starting fresh, it's good to look at which lenses you want, do some comparing and adding, and get a more comprehensive comparative cost estimate from a system perspective rather than the camera body alone - although the latter provides a starting point.  I mentioned above why we chose not to design it into thie exercise just now.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:18 pm »

Quote from: Gary Gray
I'll have to admit, I was curious enough to take a look at the spreadsheet.  An interesting exercise is measurbating is the conclusion I came to.  Not that somebody out there will not find this useful, but for me, the conclusion I've made is that all of this mathematical analysis of a camera (DXO Mark, Spreadsheets, etc...) may actually result in paralysis by analysis when it comes to making a good decision.  So many variables never enter into the equation.

Another thing that is painfully obvious, is that the camera manufacturers have pretty much done all of this for you to begin with.  In essence, the price point.  Spend as much as you can afford and you stand a very good chance of getting as good a camera as possible at that price.

Just look at the price, plain and simple.

Well, if it paralyses you, so be it. But I think there are many other people out there who can accommodate both quantitative and qualitative factors in their minds when making a major expenditure decision. And if you read the accompanying article properly, you would have observed that we said - repeatedly - the numbers are only part of the story. Useful but not necessarily determinative.

Unfortunately, just looking at price is indeed plain, but not simple - simplistic would be more to the point. Affordability is an elastic concept and within any reasonable price range for any consumer, there will be choices that simply aren't fully reflected by price alone. I believe it is more realistic to view price as one variable amongst others in deciding what to buy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:07:22 pm by MarkDS »

adi

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 09:11:17 pm »

Hello,  

Concerning the spreadsheet I think it's a quite valuable tool for somebody who is intending to buy a new camera or just plays with the options to determine whether he should buy a new camera. I don't want to repeat the article or previous discussion, however I quite agree with the point that the DxO Mark is a disturbingly partial quality measurement considering that it does not take into account resolution.

Actually in the resolution area I would like to propose an amendment, which helps to assess the actual benefit of a higher resolution sensor given the limitations of required lens quality and diffraction (e.g. see the article 'Understanding Lens Diffraction' on this site).  For crop format sensors at and above a roughly estimated 12MPixel only a very good, normally pro quality lens can deliver a matching resolution - and only if not stopped down beyond roughly F8 (due to diffraction) - or for not as good quality lenses additionally only in the central image area.  For full format sensors at least the diffraction limit, which is always present regardless of lens quality, is substantially increased in proportion to the increase in physical size of the image as given by the size of the sensor.  Consequently a full format sensor is able to deliver substantially higher resolution than a crop sensor using the same lens, provided the resolution of the crop format sensor (or of both sensors) exceeds the diffraction limit and provided a lens quality which avoids excessive resolution loss at the image periphery captured by the full format sensor, but not by the crop sensor.  

Additionally, a lens' resolution limit is physically given in line pairs per mm (and similarly most lens imperfections), therefore the no. of resolved line pairs is increased by a full format sensor compared to a crop sensor with the same amount of MPixels, simply because the physical image size (= sensor size) is larger.

Therefore I propose to include also the sensor size in the spreadsheet, in the most simple way to indicate the sensor size. A quantifiable and in my view better indication is to standardise the sensor resolution measured in no. of pixels in sensor height direction by the physical image height, i.e. to multiply the sensor's no. of pixels in sensor height direction with the sensor height (in mm).  Effectively, this corresponds to a measure of line pairs per image height.

What do you think?

frugal

• http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:18:28 pm »

I think that the big issue that can crop up from too much numbers-based analysis is when you start seeing things designed solely to produce good numbers but at the expense of everything else. A good photo example would be lenses that put out great resolution numbers but the character of their images just aren't good.

With other industries, you can even see cases where manufacturers try various methods to produce the highest numbers in the artificial test conditions which don't bear out in real world situations. A great example of this was a few years ago video card manufacturers would detect the 3dMark program and optimise various settings in order to provide the highest possible score in that test, but those settings would be completely useless for real world situations where the input isn't known ahead of time. It wouldn't surprise me to see a camera manufacturer try the same thing with DXOmark if they were to determine how their testing methodology works and try to "fake" numbers for that test, or at the very least to start designing sensors to create good scores on that test even if it's at the expense of real world image quality.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 09:25:07 am »

Quote from: adi
Hello,  

Concerning the spreadsheet I think it's a quite valuable tool for somebody who is intending to buy a new camera or just plays with the options to determine whether he should buy a new camera. I don't want to repeat the article or previous discussion, however I quite agree with the point that the DxO Mark is a disturbingly partial quality measurement considering that it does not take into account resolution.

Actually in the resolution area I would like to propose an amendment, which helps to assess the actual benefit of a higher resolution sensor given the limitations of required lens quality and diffraction (e.g. see the article 'Understanding Lens Diffraction' on this site).  For crop format sensors at and above a roughly estimated 12MPixel only a very good, normally pro quality lens can deliver a matching resolution - and only if not stopped down beyond roughly F8 (due to diffraction) - or for not as good quality lenses additionally only in the central image area.  For full format sensors at least the diffraction limit, which is always present regardless of lens quality, is substantially increased in proportion to the increase in physical size of the image as given by the size of the sensor.  Consequently a full format sensor is able to deliver substantially higher resolution than a crop sensor using the same lens, provided the resolution of the crop format sensor (or of both sensors) exceeds the diffraction limit and provided a lens quality which avoids excessive resolution loss at the image periphery captured by the full format sensor, but not by the crop sensor.  

Additionally, a lens' resolution limit is physically given in line pairs per mm (and similarly most lens imperfections), therefore the no. of resolved line pairs is increased by a full format sensor compared to a crop sensor with the same amount of MPixels, simply because the physical image size (= sensor size) is larger.

Therefore I propose to include also the sensor size in the spreadsheet, in the most simple way to indicate the sensor size. A quantifiable and in my view better indication is to standardise the sensor resolution measured in no. of pixels in sensor height direction by the physical image height, i.e. to multiply the sensor's no. of pixels in sensor height direction with the sensor height (in mm).  Effectively, this corresponds to a measure of line pairs per image height.

What do you think?

Hello Adi,

I see you have just joined - welcome - and thanks for sharing your suggestions on this exercise.

You have a number of clearly relevant factors here, so let me try to work through them with you. Firstly, I think you can appreciate that many of these camera bodies can accommodate a huge variety of lenses, each one of which has unique performance characteristics - which change with each f/stop! It would really be a massive exercise to construct a spreadsheet which deals adequately with the resolution of lenses, and as I don't have the time or materials to do that, much as it would be nice, I wouldn't be the one to attempt it.

Secondly, you have correctly identified a key constraint influencing resolution - that being the performance of the lens. It is true that our highest resolution sensors can out-resolve many of the lenses we put over them, so the binding constraint on resolution becomes the lens rather than the sensor. In fact, this was true even six years ago when Canon produced the first 11 MP professional DSLR. Their cheaper lenses showed their limitations quite clearly on this camera body. So it is even more pronounced nowadays.

Thirdly, it is in general terms correct that lenses perform better in the center than at the edges, so if you are using a camera with a full-frame sensor you would get more of the lens' less desirable edge effects than if you were using a "crop-sensor" where a larger proportion of coverage is from the higher quality portion of the projected image. But that doesn't make or break the desirability of using a full-frame sensor - it speaks more to the desirability of having and using better lenses. The resolution of the sensor and the resolution of the lens are independent variables governed by different factors. In the case of the sensor, one of the main issues affecting resolution and image quality in general is the pixel density - the higher it is (i.e. the more photosites that are crammed on to a given space) the noisier the sensor is likely to be regardless of what lens you put over it. This characteristic of sensor design - the relationship of pixel count to sensor size and its effects - seems to be well-captured by DxOMark, so I think we shouldn't add variables for this - it would appear to be redundant. In fact, when I started this exercise, the first draft did include quite closely what you are suggesting - a metric of pixel density as a quality indicator, but then part way through the preparation, DxOMark came along with a much more far-reaching approach which includes it, so I scrapped that and went with DxOMark.

In the case of lenses, as you have noted, and by the way also explained quite thoroughly at Cambridgeincolour the aperture has a major impact on diffraction which in turn impacts resolution. So indeed, you can spend huge amounts on the highest resolution sensor available, and undo some of its potential by using poor quality lenses or using good lenses sub-optimally. The best one can do about this is to try using the lens at its optimal aperture as much as circumstances allow, and this situation/advice applies regardless of the sensor.

So conveying this into an approach for deciding on a camera-lens combination, rather than trying to construct and interpret large complex databases for the multitude of sensor/lens combinations and lens apertures one can imagine, the more tractable approach would be to focus first on the camera body and optimize that, resulting say in a short-list of best candidates for your needs - then look at the MTF charts available for the various lenses of interest to you and useable with the bodies on your shortlist. If your objective is to maximize resolution and image quality, work back and forth between the camera bodies and the lens data to see which combinations are each best in their own right relative to your needs, and compatible with eachother.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Gary Gray

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:38:59 am »

No paralysis here, I've a fairly sound and reasonably functional brain.

Mark, I'll be quite honest about the fact I didn't even read the article, much less read it "properly", as I simply wanted to look at the spreadsheet and see what it was about and then make my own assessment of its value.  The spreadsheet is fairly simple to operate, the results are fairly easy to interpret therefore, I didn't feel compelled to read subjective reasoning for what it is all about.  It's sort of like explaining the purpose of a tire on a bicycle.  Had I been confused, I would have read the article for clarification.

The reason I mentioned the price point thing is that what occurred to me upon reviewing the spreadsheet, by plugging in a few of my bodies (knowing full well the capability of those bodies) along with the other bodies available on the market for sample comparison, it is became quite obvious that what the spreadsheet was reporting was more or less a more convoluted way of looking at the overall image quality/potential value of a camera body vs the price of that camera body.  An evaluation that doesn't really require a spreadsheet.  From what I sampled, and I didn't try every combination or permutation, the only cameras that stood out to me as being a bit over-priced for their relative performance would be the Olympus E3, with perhaps the Nikon D300 being a little over-priced for what it is delivering by today's standards.  The end result, if looking at a lowest common denominator is to provide a tool for judging rather or not a camera body is a good value or not.

I'm in full agreement with the statements by others concerning a systems approach, and have always been a believer that the body is the least of your "high dollar" concerns in general.  The lenses we choose have a far greater impact on our results than the bodies we choose.

In general, the spreadsheet takes a relatively simple task and makes it a more organized and more convoluted simple task.

What I'd really love to see is someone or group or something take all of these bodies out, and work each of them until they break and then create a reasonable analysis of how well these things are going to operate relative to one another in the hands of experienced photographers and how well they are going to respond, perform and survive different shooting conditions other than in the living room with the cat on the sofa.  Nobody seems to have done this better in the past than Michael and LL.  Unfortunately, I feel the DXO and subsequent tag-along mathematical analytics of cameras is a serious side-show to the reality of being a photographer and not really worthy of the attention it's getting.

Quote from: MarkDS
Well, if it paralyses you, so be it. But I think there are many other people out there who can accommodate both quantitative and qualitative factors in their minds when making a major expenditure decision. And if you read the accompanying article properly, you would have observed that we said - repeatedly - the numbers are only part of the story. Useful but not necessarily determinative.

Unfortunately, just looking at price is indeed plain, but not simple - simplistic would be more to the point. Affordability is an elastic concept and within any reasonable price range for any consumer, there will be choices that simply aren't fully reflected by price alone. I believe it is more realistic to view price as one variable amongst others in deciding what to buy.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 11:22:04 am »

Quote from: Gary Gray
I'm in full agreement with the statements by others concerning a systems approach, and have always been a believer that the body is the least of your "high dollar" concerns in general.  The lenses we choose have a far greater impact on our results than the bodies we choose.

I also agree that a systems approach is best, as I've said above. But the body is not necessarily the least of the high dollar concerns. It depends on what body and what lenses. I use a 24-105 L on my 1Ds3 - it meets 90% of my lens requirement and the cost ratio is about 5:1 body:lens. All three high-end Canon lenses I own are still together about 50% the price of the body. With a 5DMk2, the equation changes.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up