Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4880 and nozzle clogging  (Read 4153 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Epson 4880 and nozzle clogging
« on: February 22, 2009, 04:50:03 pm »

I did not print anything for about 10 days and now I have clogged nozzles. Is this to be expected? Do I need to make sure to print something once a week or so to prevent clogging - if only the nozzle test pattern?

Thanks,

Peter

Tklimek

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:30:21 pm »

Roh roh....I'm not entirely sure, but I ran into a problem similar to yours (time frame was longer though).  I now have purchased a package of 100 sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper and have a reminder on my calendar to make a print every 2 weeks.  This really seems to have helped, and the small prints keep me in practice.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: PeterAit
I did not print anything for about 10 days and now I have clogged nozzles. Is this to be expected? Do I need to make sure to print something once a week or so to prevent clogging - if only the nozzle test pattern?

Thanks,

Peter

David McCaughan

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:28:31 pm »

I don't know if it is to be expected, but if I'm not printing, I print a test every week. If I forget for just one week, I can expect to have to run a auto clean cycle. I still come out way ahead vs. 3800, but it's frustrating, I know. I do print on both ends of an 8.5x11 so ink+paper per week is minimal, but going through the paces is an unexpected PITA.
Dave

Chris Gilroy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 03:15:23 pm »

Peter,

The 4880 is actually really well built and subject to very few clogging issues in comparison to the oldies. How's the humidity in your area? If you are only printing very short runs (a couple sheets every other week) then this may be an issue for you. If that's the case, gang up your printing so you're pumping out more ink when you do print. It's not so much about the frequency of printing as it is how much ink pushes through the printhead when you are printing. My suggestion: instead of printing 1 project this week and another project in two weeks try to print them back-to-back......we have many Epson's here (4800, 7880 and a 7900) that sit for weeks at a time and we have no issues. However, when we do use them they are printing a few dozen feet of paper & ink.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:21:56 pm »

Quote from: Chris Gilroy
Peter,

The 4880 is actually really well built and subject to very few clogging issues in comparison to the oldies. How's the humidity in your area? If you are only printing very short runs (a couple sheets every other week) then this may be an issue for you. If that's the case, gang up your printing so you're pumping out more ink when you do print. It's not so much about the frequency of printing as it is how much ink pushes through the printhead when you are printing. My suggestion: instead of printing 1 project this week and another project in two weeks try to print them back-to-back......we have many Epson's here (4800, 7880 and a 7900) that sit for weeks at a time and we have no issues. However, when we do use them they are printing a few dozen feet of paper & ink.

Thanks for advice.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up