Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson V750 help  (Read 2340 times)

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Epson V750 help
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:44:42 pm »

At Focus on Imaging today, I was satisfied that a V750 using wet mounting in combination with Silverfast will provide me the resolution from my 35mm negs that I require.  I will be buying one this week.  Unfortunately, Nikon's are now discontinued.

The scans that I saw from my negs at the Epson stand were of a resolution visually comparible to that that I was getting from a Coolscan 9000.  I know that many disagree with me on this - and I would suggest that the error is mine - in not getting the most from the software.  I would therefore appreciate your advice on scanning workflow.

I understand that the scanning software should be used simply to extract the most information from the file rather than make it pretty.  Given this, what adjustments should - and perhaps more importantly, should not be used within the scanning software?  For instance, will using a curve on a file enable more DR to be captured or will it simply give me less to work with in post?

The man from Silverfast told me that I ought to sharpen slightly first in the scan software, then use PK or similar to essentially do a 3 stage sharpening method using input and output sharpening which sounds different to the advice offered by many on this forum.  Since I prefer to use LR rather than PS for my workflow, is are the sharpening tools within it sufficient for scanned tiffs?

Many thanks

Charly

dmerger

Epson V750 help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:45:32 pm »

Dean Erger

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Epson V750 help
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:21:22 pm »

Okay, it's arriving tomorrow

I need to get the supplies for fluid mounting.  Epson advise using Haynes Graphic Art Supplies to buy a starter pack but £69.99 sounds an awful lot for some fluid, mylar, a lint free cloth, some "scanner wipes" and some cotton gloves.  Am I being a cheapskate and if not, what should I be looking for?  The fluid recommended is Kami btw and I would be interested to hear opinions on it's ease of use and any damage it might cause to negs.

Many thanks
C
Pages: [1]   Go Up