Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which compact camera will produce best HD video?  (Read 30670 times)

Mark Regan

• http://
Which compact camera will produce best HD video?
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:41:06 am »

Hello,
I'm looking for a compact camera that produces good HD video.
Can you point me to a specific model? ( Not bridge)
I was thinking about the Panasonic LX 3. It records in QuickTime Motion JPEG.
The newer Panasonic DMC-TZ7EG-S uses AVCHD Lite (??). Which one would be
better, especially with moving objects?
Thank you.

dalethorn

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:27:55 am »

Quote from: Mark Regan
Hello,
Thank you.

I have the LX3 and TZ5, both HD, and the new TZ7 will replace the TZ5, not the LX3. The new TZ7 will undoubtedly do better, if for no other reason than it offers two different codecs. I find with the LX3 that it's very cumbersome to switch between stills and video, not because of the mode switch on top (the TZ7 has a separate film button which is a better design), but because the LX3 needs a different setting for EV and metering between video and stills, and changing those all the time is very inconvenient. So I do nearly all of my video with the TZ5.

Actually, I get the best video results with the LX3 in the same places I get the best LX3 stills - shooting indoors at meetings and conventions, in available light.

Mark Regan

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:13:48 pm »

Thanks for your answer. I just realised that a lot of exciting stuff is presented at PMA. I have to see first, before I decide ( tempted by Panasonic G1 HD)

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:15:19 pm »

Quote from: Mark Regan
Thanks for your answer. I just realised that a lot of exciting stuff is presented at PMA. I have to see first, before I decide ( tempted by Panasonic G1 HD)

If you don't mind paying 3 times as much, and carrying several times the weight, the GH1 will give *much* better quality, including more than double the HD video resolution (assuming it's 1080 not 720).

Er1kksen

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:57:54 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
If you don't mind paying 3 times as much, and carrying several times the weight, the GH1 will give *much* better quality, including more than double the HD video resolution (assuming it's 1080 not 720).

It does 720 at 60fps and 1080 at 24fps. I would tend to suspect that the 720p quality from the GH1's sensor will be a good bit better than the LX3's as well, not to mention the greater flexibility and ability to play with dof.

dalethorn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:48:14 pm »

Quote from: Er1kksen
It does 720 at 60fps and 1080 at 24fps. I would tend to suspect that the 720p quality from the GH1's sensor will be a good bit better than the LX3's as well, not to mention the greater flexibility and ability to play with dof.

Yes, and I've decided to get the GH1.  Even under very good lighting, you can see digital artifacts in the LX3 video, so I'm hoping for something cleaner.  Apparently, the GH1 is going to be issued in all cases with the 14-140 (35mm equiv. = 28-280 ) kit lens.  I would have preferred two lenses - like a 24-90 and 100-400 (again, in 35mm equiv.) but that's not going to happen.

dasheen

Re: Which compact camera will produce best HD video?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 04:42:34 am »

I came across an excellent compact camera with full HD video and even slow motion video
here http://dasheen.hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-HD-Compact-Camera-With-Slow-Motion

Hello,
Thank you.

burrencrawler

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 04:10:43 pm »

Three Cameras worth mentioning:
Canon SX-220
Sony DSC-HX 9V (with built in steadi cam, nice)
The Latest Canon G1 (out at the end of Feb 2012)
All 1080p
    The SONY one seems particularly good despite the huge Canon 7D type sensor on the G1.

jalcocer

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:55:28 pm »

I have the ELPH 100hs and it is a really nice camera, very good in low light and with pretty decent video. They say the 300hs is even better, although I don't see that much of a difference. There are new models available, the 310hs and the 110hs now with 1080 at 30fps. I was looking for something with 1080 the past holidays and the canons where the only ones with 1080 at that price point. If you want a compact digital with good video quality I guess you'll be good to go with these canons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up