Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocks, Seascapes  (Read 3061 times)

Christos Andronis

• Christos Andronis Photography
Rocks, Seascapes
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:51:10 am »

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member on the LL forum. I'd like to introduce myself with two photos from the Mani peninsula, a rugged area in the south of Greece. Both photographs were taken in the sunset and make use of a fascinating (well, at least in my eyes) rock formation to depict my view of this seascape at that time of the day.

Thanks in advance for your comments and critique.

- Christos

[attachment=11680:RD_CA_MG...t_flickr.jpg] [attachment=11681:C1_CA_MG...1_flickr.jpg]

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:26:04 am »

I much prefer the second photo (portrait orientation) with the rock outcrop on its own.  The subtle shades of the sky and sea give the picture a sense of tranquility, makes me want to sit out there and enjoy the end of a fine day.

With regard to the first photo, the biggest thing for me is that I find the upper right (bright yellowish area) too bright (possibly blown).   The point of land on the horizon is also distracting to me.  The diagonal half of the photo at he lower right I find pleasing for the same reasons as I mentioned on your second photo.

There are probably ways that you can tone down the bright yellow area on this photo, and bring up the shadows in the shaded areas but I am not Photoshop competent enough to tell you how to do so.

Hope that was useful to you.

Regards,

Andrew
[size=12p

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:53:40 am »

I'll just second Andrew : I really like the second one with its simple composition. Perfection stands where there is nothing more to cut, rather than nothing more to add (I think it's been written by StExupéry).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

francois

Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:51:54 am »

I also prefer the vertical composition. It is simpler than the first photo, better balanced and tonalities are smoother. The framing on the first one is a bit too tight. The yellow color is distracting, it breaks the smooth surface of the sea... The top of the photo would need to be cropped. This powerful rock and the sea is all your photo needs.
Francois

dalethorn

Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:57 am »

I agree on the second image, except I think the first could be improved if one of the rock formations, top or bottom, were a different shade of color. Maybe lighten the rocks at the top and change the shade.

Christos Andronis

Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »

Thanks to all of you for your comments. It is interesting that most of you prefer the second image - I always thought that the first one was more powerful. This is an area I visit very often and have tried quite a few shots on the same subject. The second image is a much more recent photograph. Lately, I find myself drawn to more minimalist views of the landscape. The second photo is such an example - I'll post more in the near future.

Quote from: AndrewKulin
With regard to the first photo, the biggest thing for me is that I find the upper right (bright yellowish area) too bright (possibly blown).   The point of land on the horizon is also distracting to me.  The diagonal half of the photo at he lower right I find pleasing for the same reasons as I mentioned on your second photo.
Quote from: francois
I also prefer the vertical composition. It is simpler than the first photo, better balanced and tonalities are smoother. The framing on the first one is a bit too tight. The yellow color is distracting, it breaks the smooth surface of the sea... The top of the photo would need to be cropped. This powerful rock and the sea is all your photo needs.

The intense yellow color is the result of the late sunrise sunlight (extremely powerful during the Greek summer) and its reflection on the water. Although, I used a 3 stop ND grad, it seems (following your comments) that it wasn't enough. I'll give it a shot in Photoshop and see what I get.

@Francois: I do have two more versions of the first photo without the distant hills. The first one still caries the intense light reflection on the water, whereas the other one was taken at an earlier time of the day and therefore, the reflections and colors are "better" controlled. Let's see how these work!

Thanks again,

- Christos

[attachment=11685:RD_CA_MG_1751.jpg]  [attachment=11686:C1_CA_MG_2573.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 06:39:27 pm »

Hi Christos, and welcome to the list!  My first thought when looking at the two images was that the first one was bettter than the second, but that the shoreline in the background needed to be removed.  Although it adds a sense of scale, it also detracts from the main subject.  And then I scrolled down and discovered you'd done exactly that.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 03:35:03 am »

Quote from: candron
@Francois: I do have two more versions of the first photo without the distant hills. The first one still caries the intense light reflection on the water, whereas the other one was taken at an earlier time of the day and therefore, the reflections and colors are "better" controlled. Let's see how these work!
[attachment=11685:RD_CA_MG_1751.jpg]  [attachment=11686:C1_CA_MG_2573.jpg]
I like the second of these. The first is, I think, far too tightly cropped: it feels uncomfortable.

As regards the first two you posted, I'm with the crowd. The second, vertical shot has a wonderfully peaceful feel to it.

Jeremy

francois

Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 03:59:36 am »

Quote from: candron

Thanks again,

- Christos
Christos,
Those two are much better. The first one is also affected by the "violent" reflection but I find it almost OK. The issue here is the tight crop and your second photo addresses this issue. Not only the rock has room to breath but colors are more subtle. This photo and the vertical version both share a serene mood, a sense of tranquility that I like very much.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:01:04 am by francois »
Francois

Christos Andronis

Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:43:27 am »

Quote from: francois
Christos,
Those two are much better. The first one is also affected by the "violent" reflection but I find it almost OK. The issue here is the tight crop and your second photo addresses this issue. Not only the rock has room to breath but colors are more subtle. This photo and the vertical version both share a serene mood, a sense of tranquility that I like very much.

Once more, thanks for your comments. Francois, thanks for having a second look at the photographs.

- Christos

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
Rocks, Seascapes
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 06:18:03 am »

The vertical composition works for me, too--thanks for sharing.
-Sean [ we
Pages: [1]   Go Up