Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre CS4 Menu Problems  (Read 1989 times)

Diamond D

Bizarre CS4 Menu Problems
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:42:46 pm »

Hi all, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to what's going on here. I am operating PS CS4 on Windows XP with 3GB RAM. I have occasional problems with the program "disappearing" on me during an intensive edit (no "Stopped Responding" message, it just vanishes, and I have to restart the program). But other than that, I have had no problems until the other day.

I was following along with a Lynda.com training video on preferences, and when I got to the Cursor and Transparency screens, I realized "hey, why doesn't my screen look like that"? I know these screens used to be normal, but now there is no second cursor in that menu, and in the transparency menu all the colors are incorrect (check the screenshot). I've also noticed that when I do alt-right click-drag to change cursor size, the size changes properly, but there is no colored preview as there was in the training video.

I tried deleting the preferences file, and that did not fix it. Then I re-installed the whole program, and the problem is still there! Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong, and what I should do? I guess it's not a huge deal, but it seems that if these parts are acting up, there may be other problems that I can't see. Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:46:29 pm by Diamond D »

Eyeball

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:22:31 pm »

I have seen some reports of weirdness similar to this posted in other forums and in many cases it seems to be related to plug-ins.  Are you using plug-ins from developers such as Nik or Imagenomic?

Diamond D

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »

Quote from: Eyeball
I have seen some reports of weirdness similar to this posted in other forums and in many cases it seems to be related to plug-ins.  Are you using plug-ins from developers such as Nik or Imagenomic?

Hmmm, Nik Color Efex Pro plugins came with my recently-purchased Spyder 2PRO. I haven't found much use for them yet, I'll try uninstalling and report back. Thanks for the lead!

Diamond D

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:17:19 pm »

I uninstalled Nik from the Control Panel, and nothing happened. Then I went into the CS4 folders and deleted the Nik folder from the Plugins area. Bingo! Menu back to normal.

I reinstalled the program once more just to make sure everything is restored, and it all looks good. Thanks very much for the solution eyeball!
Pages: [1]   Go Up