Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rooky question 2814  (Read 1960 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Rooky question 2814
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:08 pm »

I'm configuring a new paper type for my z3100. The paper is hp premium plus photo satin.

I'm in the hp color center, in the section to create and install an ICC profile.

There is a check box next to an option for  “Gloss Enhancer”

Wait for it......

Here it is...............Is gloss enhancer used on satin paper?

Geoff Wittig

Rooky question 2814
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:07:33 pm »

Quote from: Justan
I'm configuring a new paper type for my z3100. The paper is hp premium plus photo satin.

I'm in the hp color center, in the section to create and install an ICC profile.

There is a check box next to an option for  “Gloss Enhancer”

Wait for it......

Here it is...............Is gloss enhancer used on satin paper?

Yes indeed. The gloss enhancer is the clear gloss coat applied to glossier papers to equalize surface gloss regardless of coverage with other inks. HP's satin papers all look best with gloss enhancer applied. This will be true for most other manufacturers' satin papers as well, with the sôle exception of Hahnemüle's photo rag satin. HPR satin is a unique paper with a cotton rag base that takes on an unsual sheen in inked areas, but I've gotten best results not using gloss enhancer with it.

Hope that helps.

Avalan

Rooky question 2814
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »

Hello Justan

General answer: You can use optional gloss enhancer on all papers accepting PK inks including satin papers. At page 9 on the following link you may find more info:

http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/file/view...per_6.0.0.8.pdf

But before continuing to profile I would suggest you to check and see if "premium plus photo satin is compatible with z3100. The following list does not say so. You may need to check direcyly with HP. If the paper is designed for dye based inks, the pigment ink will rub off.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF...5-78362015.html

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Rooky question 2814
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:59:24 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Yes indeed....HP's satin papers all look best with gloss enhancer applied. This will be true for most other manufacturers' satin papers as well, with the sôle exception of Hahnemüle's photo rag satin. HPR satin is a unique paper with a cotton rag base that takes on an unsual sheen in inked areas, but I've gotten best results not using gloss enhancer with it.

Hope that helps.

It does indeed. Thanks! I'll come back to this (again) when i crack out the Hahnemüle from its box...

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Rooky question 2814
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:20:12 pm »

Quote from: Avalan
Hello Justan

General answer: You can use optional gloss enhancer on all papers accepting PK inks including satin papers. At page 9 on the following link you may find more info:

http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/file/view...per_6.0.0.8.pdf

I did not realize the role that gloss enhanser plays. Until this day, i didn't know that gloss enhanser would become part of my lexicon. Hmmm.

But before continuing to profile I would suggest you to check and see if "premium plus photo satin is compatible with z3100. The following list does not say so. You may need to check direcyly with HP. If the paper is designed for dye based inks, the pigment ink will rub off.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF...5-78362015.html

Sigh. Naturally that would be the case. Thanks for pointing it out. I bought this one and a roll of the premium plus glossy when I started to do studies using a HP 130 and guessed (cough) that it would be okay.

But what is the risk? At what point will the ink rub off? I tried to scratch it off with my fingernail and it did not budge. Is this a factor of time or color quality as well?

Also is the comparable compatible HP paper their Premium Instant-dry Satin Photo Paper?

I guess that makes it up to about 2818...

Avalan

Rooky question 2814
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:20:06 pm »

Some papers are made ONLY for dye-based inks. “Ilford Gallerie CLASIC pearl” is such a sample. Pigment ink will rob off on these papers.
Most of the papers nowadays are compatible wit both dye and pigment inks. “Ilford Gallerie Smooth pearl” is a sample of this kind.

A good paper manufacturer should clearly state on each box or roll of paper that it is compatible with which kind of ink. Dye based only, pigment and dye both, etc.

HP papers can be confusing in this regard. On some of the boxes you cannot find any clear info in this regard. I digged out an old box of “HP premium photo satin”. On the box it says: “for inkjet compatible printers, including hp designjet 30 series, designjet 130 series, deskjet 9300and 9600 series printers.” Not an indication if this paper is compatible with pigment inks or not.

A bit confusing and from HP website it is a challenge to find this kind of info.
It is why I suggested contacting HP and finding out if this paper is compatible with pigment inks.

If you print on a paper designed for dye-based inks only, the pigment inks will not be stable.

Good luck

Avalan

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Rooky question 2814
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 01:27:04 am »

I got a re-supply of paper and did a comparison. The difference in output between the approved hp premium paper and the non-approved hp premium plus paper was astonishing. Evidently everything else being the same, the output on the premium plus is much lighter than on the premium. So based on that, it makes a huge difference if one doesn’t use a supported paper.

> If you print on a paper designed for dye-based inks only, the pigment inks will not be stable.

I haven't had it long enough to comment on that but it wont produce the same saturation levels as a comparable supported paper.

Thanks once again for pointing this out! I would have spent at least several trials figuring out WTH I couldn’t get consistent results.

I’ll have to contact HP to see if they’ll accept a return or exchange on the unopened box. Not holding my breath for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up