Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: problemskin  (Read 12641 times)

ziocan

problemskin
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »

Quote from: woof75
Oh go on then, I can't resist myself. Here, for a start it seems your way dark, that accounts for half of it, is the model caucasian? I did a few tricks too, what do you think?
You actually Jurgentellerized this photo.

DesW

problemskin
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 05:34:08 pm »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
Des, I've been wondering how the smooth skin look is achieved, now I know.  It works great, thanks!  Now how do I apply that to a car?  Jim

Morning James,

Luv ya work by the way-- now with the sorta dosh you'd be earning --don't tell me you have to do your OWN retouching?

Hmmm-- probably not on an infinite  colour depth subject like a Car surface as the technique is to retain some "texture"

Maybe it could add some more orange peel if required--Ha!

Good Stuff

DesW

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
problemskin
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 07:13:22 pm »

Des, It didn't work too well on my test Citroen but I'll use it for my people work.  Remember, I'm in Detroit where the world is ending!  (At least as we know it.)  I'm shooting for half the dosh I'd get a couple of years ago and yes, for some of my clients, I do the retouching too (not many, but some).  Anyways, thanks for the tip, I'd never have figured it out!  By the way, how about some pictures of the Great Barrier Reef?   Jim

Graham Mitchell

problemskin
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 11:25:40 am »

Quote from: Willow Photography
Now we only want to know how you did it  

Willow

Well, it took some time for me to work out my own personal favourite skin solution, and I hope you understand that I make part of my living from retouching, so I can only offer my services as a retoucher

pixjohn

problemskin
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »

Its a little strange to say, hay look I can do it but i am not sharing how I did it. Why bother posting? I don't think posting that type of info here is going to hurt business.  You never learned something from this forum?

Quote from: foto-z
Well, it took some time for me to work out my own personal favourite skin solution, and I hope you understand that I make part of my living from retouching, so I can only offer my services as a retoucher
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:57:28 pm by pixjohn »

E_Edwards

problemskin
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:25 pm »

Quote from: pixjohn
Its a little strange to say, hay look I can do it but i am not sharing how I did it. Why bother posting? I don't think posting that type of info here is going to hurt business.  You never learned something from this forum?

Actually, Pixjohn, although I too love it when people share their secrets, I completely understand foto-z or anyone who keeps their tricks close to their chest.

It has probably taken him hours and hours of experimentation to perfect his technique, so why would he share it with all and sundry.

The theory is that if nobody shared, we would still be in the Stone Age, and that's probably true. On the other hand, the tools are there for everybody to use, just use them and you may learn something new quite by chance.

Edward

csp

problemskin
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »

Quote from: pixjohn

let him feel cool and special , go to retouchpro.com and search a little you sure learn more than he can offer.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
problemskin
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 06:44:27 pm »

I dont think ive ever found anything on retouchpro worth looking into, probably because I give up after 5 minutes of seeing the same posts over and over again.

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
problemskin
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 07:09:20 pm »

To be honest - I respect and understand why he doesnt want to share his knowledge.
I sure like to know how he did it because he had the best version, but I respect he doesnt want
to reveal it.

Willow Photography

Snook

problemskin
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 07:18:03 pm »

1) QUALITY skin retouching takes TIME. No quick software filters or 4-step technique
applies to everything. Please reread this sentence for as long as it takes to sink in.
2) TEXTURE is about how the LIGHT affects the surface. Understand what that means
and you can understand the techniques behind pros and amateurs alike.

ZOOM in close. For every bump, or pimple....there is DARK side of it and a LIGHT
side of it. For every large pore, the same holds true.
The direction of the light determines which side is which. The "softness" of the light
we use in photography determines the contrast between the DARK and LIGHT. This is
why softboxes placed close to the model produces a more pleasing skin texture.
Those of you who shoot with strobes or hard light will see skin texture more
pronounced.
now....
The professional retoucher's technique is to "Lighten" the DARK sides and to "Darken"
the LIGHT sides -- which produces and more consistent skin texture. Often they work
at the pixel level with a 2px brush. VERY Meticulous, VERY time consuming. For most
of us, a 4px or 5px brush would suffice.
Method 1:
1) Fill a NEW layer with 50% Gray.
2) Change this Layer's Mode to SOFT LIGHT.
3) With a paint brush (3-5px, 80% Hardness) Paint the Dark pixels with WHITE.
1) Fill a NEW layer with 50% Gray.
2) Change this Layer's Mode to SOFT LIGHT.
3) With a small paint brush (3-5px, 80% Hardness) Paint the Light pixels with Black.
When you are done, adjust the Opacity levels to suit your taste.... Or you can set the
Opacity of your brush to begin with (No less than 40%).
Method 2:
1) Create new layer, lock the layer positioning so it doesn't move.
2) Create a clone brush (3px, 75% Hardness, Opacity = 8% "Sample All Layers =
ON") brush that is set to LIGHTEN.
3) Paint Dark pixels to lighten them. Multiple strokes will lighten it with each pass.
1) Create new layer, lock the layer positioning so it doesn't move.
2) Create a clone brush (3px, 75% Hardness, Opacity = 8% "Sample All Layers =
ON") brush that is set to DARKEN.
3) Paint Light pixels to darken them. Multiple strokes will lighten it with each pass.
Method 3:
Use low Exposure Dodge & Burn brushes to directly affect the pixels. This is not
recommended as it is destructive to the pixels.
These are VERY GENERAL techniques, but it outlines the foundation for evening out
the texture in the skins surface.
The reason why pros DO NOT BLUR is because it affects pixels beyond the scope of
the area you wish to fix, and eliminates the chaotic patterns of real skin texture.
What about skin tone?
Most skin has some sort of tonal imbalance. Red spots, Dark Spots, Scars, etc. For
the most part these can be clone over with a clone brush at 90% opacity and then
corrected at the pixel layer to blend in with surrounding skin texture.
If a person has large colored spots or sunburn, these can be adjusted more globally
using the Hue/Saturation filter and adjusting the RED channel. This technique is found
in the book SKIN by Lee Varis.
Tips:
1) Always use a MUA for portrait work, the 20 minutes she spends can save you
countless hours of retouching.
2) Use hard or soft lighting and know the advantages and disavantages of each as it
pertains to how it affects skin texture.
3) Invest in a Wacom Pen Tablet or something similar. For those who have always
used a mouse it will take about 2 days to get used to, but the change will pay off in
ways you can't yet imagine.
4) Know your audience.... a 40 year old woman is not made to look like an 18 year
old, so retouch accordingly.

1) Copy the entire image on a new layer then turn the layer off. (This is your Backup!
...and will be used later.)
2) Use Surface Blur at a low setting to even out the skin tones and splotches in your
SPECIFIED area (not Globally). Using a layer mask to affect just the part you want.
Now that you have used Blur you need to put some texture into that affected area.
Using your Backup Layer....
1) Turn on Backup Layer and place above your final composition
1) Use Filter/Other/HighPass  at 1 pixel.
2) Change the layer to Soft Light.
You may need to repeat this process if the texture you put back into the image is not
strong enough. Repeat at 1 pixel.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:31:02 pm by Snook »

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
problemskin
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 07:41:57 pm »

Jason Fried (37signals) has a different attitude about sharing one's expertise, ideas being copied, etc.

http://www.businessinnovationfactory.com/i...if4-jason-fried

Nice of you to post  your process here, Eric.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:02:07 pm by DFAllyn »

Snook

problemskin
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »

Quote from: DFAllyn
Jason Fried (37signals) has a different attitude about sharing one's expertise, ideas being copied, etc.

Nice of you to post  your process here, Eric.

It is just one of many I use taken from the internet. Dodging and burning, although tidiuos, is the best way for retaining texture.
But many ties I used faded smoothing layers also.
Snook

yaya

problemskin
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 06:20:43 am »

Quote from: DFAllyn

Thank you for the link Dale, that was refreshing!

Yair

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
problemskin
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 12:07:10 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Thank you for the link Dale, that was refreshing!

Yair

Glad you enjoyed it, Yair. I enjoyed it when I first saw it too.

Best,

Dale
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up