Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library folder not showing photos, even though they are present  (Read 3003 times)

NickJB

Library folder not showing photos, even though they are present
« on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »

I did a shoot yesterday. Injested photos onto my (Mac) laptop using Lightroom. Created 5 folders for different scenes. Today I hooked my laptop up to my Burly Bay 5 drive enclosure (where all my images are stored) and in the Library Panel of Lightroom I drug the folders, one by one, from the Pictures folder into the appropriate root folder on my external HD. However, 2 of the folders on the external HD have no images displayed in Lightroom. The files moved. They are there on the external HD, and, weirdly, the folder in LR has the correct # of files listed. It says there are 24 images files there, which is the correct number, but it is not actually showing the images. Even stranger, there are previews in the root folder. I use a modified Peter Krogh DAM setup.

Studio 1
RAW_001_0901; RAW_002_0902 etc
Job_name_setup_1; Job_name_setup_2 etc

The missing previews are not showing in the Job_name_setup_1 folder (but it says there are 24 files there), but those image previews are showing up in the RAW-002_0902 folder. If I select the correct  previews from the RAW-002_0902 folder and try to drag and drop them into the correct folder, they will not move. They can be moved to the other folders (Job_name_setup_2, 3 etc), but not the correct folder.

I checked and as far as I can see, I have no filters set that would prevent me seeing the previews. I have tried synching the folders, no luck. Also importing again, but a dialog comes up saying the files are duplicates, so I can't import from disk.

Anyone know what I've done wrong or how to fix this. I rather not go back and reimport from the cards or the backup unless I have to. I don't want to lose my metadata. Plus I'd love to know how to prevent this in future.

Many thanks!

nick

NickJB

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:49:43 pm »

This is weird....

Now a handful of the previews have shown up. In the folders that had no previews a couple of hours ago there now are 9 previews (should be 12) and in the other there are 7 (should be 32).
I have no idea why these few have shown up and not all the previews. All the previews are still there in the next level up folder.

Confused and kinda concerned......

nick

francois

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:57:31 am »

Quote from: NickJB
This is weird....

Now a handful of the previews have shown up. In the folders that had no previews a couple of hours ago there now are 9 previews (should be 12) and in the other there are 7 (should be 32).
I have no idea why these few have shown up and not all the previews. All the previews are still there in the next level up folder.

Confused and kinda concerned......

nick
It is weird, indeed. I would try to sync the problematic folder and also try to re-render previews. Optimizing the library index might also help.
Francois

NickJB

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:14 pm »

Thanks Francois!

Thought I'd better start LR up again to see if anything had changed and yes indeed, those two folders are now populated correctly. That is the weirdest thing..... It's like it took all night, with LR not open,  to sync the folders???? I did have LR open for 2-3 hours in the background yesterday to see if it needed time to run the sync, and then closed and reopened LR, but that didn't seem to do it. I've read some comments on LR 2.2 being slow, but that is just strange........ I'm off to the Adobe site to see how to send them performance updates.
Think I'll optimize the library index too.

francois

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:28:30 am »

Quote from: NickJB
Thanks Francois!

Thought I'd better start LR up again to see if anything had changed and yes indeed, those two folders are now populated correctly. That is the weirdest thing..... It's like it took all night, with LR not open,  to sync the folders???? I did have LR open for 2-3 hours in the background yesterday to see if it needed time to run the sync, and then closed and reopened LR, but that didn't seem to do it. I've read some comments on LR 2.2 being slow, but that is just strange........ I'm off to the Adobe site to see how to send them performance updates.
Think I'll optimize the library index too.
It shouldn't take a night to update a folder, even if it contains 10,000 files. Something is definitely wrong. Do you have the "automatically write changes into XMP" option checked? You could also try to run Activity Monitor (Utility folder) to see CPU usage.

Anyway, good luck!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up