Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone NOT like their Z3200?  (Read 7684 times)

dwood

Anyone NOT like their Z3200?
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:44:54 am »

I'm trying to make a decision regarding which way to go in moving up to a 24" printer...currently have an IPF5100. Reported troubles with the Epson 7900 are making me a bit nervous about that choice and while an IPF6100 looks like it would be a fine way to go, there appears to be some compelling features that suggests a Z3200 may be a good choice to consider. For me, print quality is job #1, followed by reliability and after-the-sale support. If any Z3200 owners would care to comment on any problems they've encountered with this printer/HP support, I'd appreciate the input.

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:54:10 am »

Quote from: dwood
I'm trying to make a decision regarding which way to go in moving up to a 24" printer...currently have an IPF5100. Reported troubles with the Epson 7900 are making me a bit nervous about that choice and while an IPF6100 looks like it would be a fine way to go, there appears to be some compelling features that suggests a Z3200 may be a good choice to consider. For me, print quality is job #1, followed by reliability and after-the-sale support. If any Z3200 owners would care to comment on any problems they've encountered with this printer/HP support, I'd appreciate the input.

I can comment on the Z3100 if you wish. I've had it for a couple years. Let me know if you might find it helpful. I also have a CanonIPF 9100, if you would like info on that.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

dwood

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:21:32 am »

Quote from: marcsitkin
I can comment on the Z3100 if you wish. I've had it for a couple years. Let me know if you might find it helpful. I also have a CanonIPF 9100, if you would like info on that.

Thanks Marc. I'm most interested in the Z3200 but sure, I would appreciate to hear about your HP experience. The IPF8100 or 9100 would require an addition onto the house.

felix5616

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:47 am »

Thanks Marc. I'm most interested in the Z3200 but sure, I would appreciate to hear about your HP experience. The IPF8100 or 9100 would require an addition onto the house.
i have the 44"PS Z3200, what would you like to know?

mikev1

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:37:51 am »

The IPF8100 or 9100 would require an addition onto the house.

Come on, you don't really need a bed in your room do you?

dwood

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:46:01 am »

Quote from: felix5616
i have the 44"PS Z3200, what would you like to know?

I'm looking for feedback on any specific problems that owners of these printers have encountered, how reliable they've been in service and if there have been/are problems, how has HP been about dealing with them.

mlmcasual

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:40 pm »

Hi,
I use a z3200PS 44" used for prints and trade show graphics.  Previously I used a 24" designjet30 so this is a huge upgrade. Going from a dye to pigment I was concerned about the gamut but am very impressed with the 3200's color gamut.

I have not encountered any major problems though I have had issues getting it to load polypropylene rolls on the first try. Other papers have been no problem and loaded on the first try.

The auto profiling sequence works without a hitch in color center. Going through the color cal to profile automatically. It did confuse me at first but  if you put in a non-hp paper you need to choose an hp paper preset in the process of making a custom preset. I suspect this is the same it works in the 3100 series as well.

I did come across a complex large  cs4 PS file that the printer would not accept. giving me an unrecognized file format when I went to print. I still need to resolve with HP (I just haven't had time to call) to figure what is going on. My work around was to convert to pdf.  

There are some little quirks in general. or example how you can't create a length shorter   then the width.  why is that?
The new red is nice and really pops but is not what I would all a screaming vibrant red like I was expecting.  Either they oversell the red or the z3100 red must have been really bad.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:31:58 pm by mlmcasual »

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:19:44 pm »

The Z3100 has done a good job printing on canvas, photogloss and semigloss, and fine art papers, with the exception of reds on anything but the canvas. The profiling and calibration is straightforward and works well. It can be a bit temperamental to load the machine, and there is no counter and imprint system to track media. Also, no roll takeup.

Software/firmware upgrades can be painful, and the machine can fall of the network from time to time. The drivers are flaky, and HP is a pain to get support from. The website has been a disaster to navigate for years. The phone support can be a miserable experience, and that's gotten worse over the years (I've had HP5000's and 5500's since 1999).

HP has made some improvements with their ink handling system. Running out no longer wipes out a whole print. You can replace a cart on the fly. Hp has also done a good job documenting media settings, and giving recommendations on choosing appropriate settings for varius media types.

There has never been a problem with nozzles clogging or dropping out. That's been true with the bigger 5000's as well.

I've just put the Canon into production. It's been an absolute pleasure. The drivers are solid, the photoshop plugin works as it should, good metering on paper, and the ink usage is incredibly low.

The first place I go for documentation is the Canon Wiki, which is great, and Canon Support has been super. Easy to find downloads on the website, and phone support is one menu choice and a ring or two away. Techs are patient and knowledgeable.

The output from the Canon is beautiful, and the reds are where they should be. We profile with Monaco, and have generated RGB profiles successfully  for use with the driver, and CMYK+RGB for use with a RIP. The printer works with QImage perfectly.

Output speed seems to be faster, and the paper handling is easier and less fussy.

If I were making the choice, I'd base it on how many different materials I'd need to profile and manage, and whether I could profile offline. One advantage of the Canon is that it can be brought to a known factory calibration state, which means third party profiles might be more accurate for this machine. Time will tell!
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

dwood

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 02:55:12 pm »

Quote from: marcsitkin
The Z3100 has done a good job printing on canvas, photogloss and semigloss, and fine art papers, with the exception of reds on anything but the canvas. The profiling and calibration is straightforward and works well. It can be a bit temperamental to load the machine, and there is no counter and imprint system to track media. Also, no roll takeup.

Software/firmware upgrades can be painful, and the machine can fall of the network from time to time. The drivers are flaky, and HP is a pain to get support from. The website has been a disaster to navigate for years. The phone support can be a miserable experience, and that's gotten worse over the years (I've had HP5000's and 5500's since 1999).

HP has made some improvements with their ink handling system. Running out no longer wipes out a whole print. You can replace a cart on the fly. Hp has also done a good job documenting media settings, and giving recommendations on choosing appropriate settings for varius media types.

There has never been a problem with nozzles clogging or dropping out. That's been true with the bigger 5000's as well.

I've just put the Canon into production. It's been an absolute pleasure. The drivers are solid, the photoshop plugin works as it should, good metering on paper, and the ink usage is incredibly low.

The first place I go for documentation is the Canon Wiki, which is great, and Canon Support has been super. Easy to find downloads on the website, and phone support is one menu choice and a ring or two away. Techs are patient and knowledgeable.

The output from the Canon is beautiful, and the reds are where they should be. We profile with Monaco, and have generated RGB profiles successfully  for use with the driver, and CMYK+RGB for use with a RIP. The printer works with QImage perfectly.

Output speed seems to be faster, and the paper handling is easier and less fussy.

If I were making the choice, I'd base it on how many different materials I'd need to profile and manage, and whether I could profile offline. One advantage of the Canon is that it can be brought to a known factory calibration state, which means third party profiles might be more accurate for this machine. Time will tell!

Thanks for your insights here Marc. It's disappointing to hear about your experience with HP support as after the sale support is important to me. My IPF5100 has worked like a champ and the one time I had a problem, (tank failure) Canon was a pleasure to deal with and the problem was resolved quick like a bunny. Your comments are very useful to me. I appreciate it.

Anyone have anything good to say about HP support or problems they've encountered with Z series printers?

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:03 pm »

Thanks for your insights here Marc. It's disappointing to hear about your experience with HP support as after the sale support is important to me. My IPF5100 has worked like a champ and the one time I had a problem, (tank failure) Canon was a pleasure to deal with and the problem was resolved quick like a bunny. Your comments are very useful to me. I appreciate it.

Anyone have anything good to say about HP support or problems they've encountered with Z series printers?

I am on my last day for my Z3100 warranty! Scary, but to buy a service plan extension would be too expensive for me. That said, the HP service has been extremely good over the past year. I am not talking about the poor HP website. The telephone support has been very good. I also had a technician come out to put in the new rollers, I forget what the part is called exactly, no charge. He worked hard at it.

I do not have a Canon or Epson printer so I can not compare the quality of either prints or support. But, compared to other tech companies I have dealt with, from Apple, Microtech, Adobe, Samsung - the HP support has been pretty good.

Howard

Roscolo

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »

44" z3100 for 21 months. No problems. Best printer I've ever used. B&W quality and ease of use is the best B&W digital output I've ever seen. Uses only shades of grey inks for B&W; prints are perfectly neutral. Easy to dial in an infinitely customizable bit of warmth if you like a warm-tone look. Print mostly on HP Litho, HP ID Satin, some canvas and some 3rd party watercolor papers and HP Adhesive Vinyl. Customers love the prints. It's great because many of the customers who are used to traditional photographic prints think that is what they are getting thanks to the gloss enhancer (huge plus for this printer). No clogs. Called HP Support once when I updated firmware. HP Support is great when you make sure you are talking to the right person. The problem with HP Support isn't the support itself, it's the routing. Many people waste time talking to the wrong support personnel. If they don't know what a z3100 is, that is your clue that you are talking to the wrong person and you need to ask to be routed to the Designjet support techs. Guy talked me through the firmware update and then even called me back the next day to make sure everything was working as it should and then sent me some free ink on top of that! All this, and my printer was well out of warranty. YMMV

dwood

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:56:34 pm »

Thanks to all for your input. It's helpful and appreciated.

Rockarchive.com

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 06:58:11 am »

Quote from: howseth
I am on my last day for my Z3100 warranty! Scary, but to buy a service plan extension would be too expensive for me. That said, the HP service has been extremely good over the past year. I am not talking about the poor HP website. The telephone support has been very good. I also had a technician come out to put in the new rollers, I forget what the part is called exactly, no charge. He worked hard at it.

I do not have a Canon or Epson printer so I can not compare the quality of either prints or support. But, compared to other tech companies I have dealt with, from Apple, Microtech, Adobe, Samsung - the HP support has been pretty good.

Howard

!!!!! GET THE SERVICE WARRANTY !!!!!!! If you don't have this, then as soon as the warranty runs out, HP technicians will cost £1000 to visit you and fix the problem. Don't worry, what ever parts are needed will be included in the £1000.

Utah

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 11:38:45 pm »

I highly recommend you validate the "reported problems" on the Epson 7900--I've use all and the Epson excels in every category including ability to print on just about anything, profiling and ICC availability and of course, image quality.
Don't give up yet.

Utah

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:35:15 am »

There are somethings to like about it and others still lingering items that need to be be reviewed.
The reds are really fixed and very good on both photo and matte.
GCR though continues to be drawback , which isn't BTW any better on Canon. Epson still have the edge on image quality, yet unexpectedly , the 9900s are having some reports of quirks and failures as they are hitting the streets.
Although the up and downs of the 3100 required  too many firmware and software updates the 3200 is solid. IF there are firmware updates they should be very minor , essentially required for media additions, not bug fixes.
There are still things in software not working as expected, rather announces than broken elements.
I haven't had time to try to resolve any problems yet with tech support so I can't say if any improvements are making it easier for 3200 owners.
I never had any need for the 3100s anyway but I am able to fix most things myself if not waiting for a firmware update.
I do find the 3200 more reliable in the sense of communication, and off/idle time. No time outs or loss of comm at all, and after two weeks powered off it printed today with zero problem as had been in the past with the 3100s.

dwood

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 12:11:16 pm »

As an update to this thread, I decided to leap-frog the 24" printer category and now have a Canon 8100 on the way. While it's more printer than I currently need, Shades of Paper had a very compelling price on this printer which was simply too good to pass up.

doncody

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 12:27:35 pm »

As an update to this thread, I decided to leap-frog the 24" printer category and now have a Canon 8100 on the way. While it's more printer than I currently need, Shades of Paper had a very compelling price on this printer which was simply too good to pass up.

Hi Doug,

Curious as to what ultimately compelled you to go with the 8100 over ther HP?

Thx,
Don

dwood

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:03 pm »

Quote from: doncody
Hi Doug,

Thx,
Don

Hi Don,

For one, I've been pretty happy with the results from my 5100 so I knew that the 8100 wouldn't disappoint. One of the things about the Z series that interested me was the profiling capabilities but in thinking this through a bit more, I realized I'd be paying quite a bit for this feature and that it would be far more cost effective to have profiles custom made when needed. Finally, the price I was able to purchase the 8100 for was less than either a Z3200 or Epson 7900. I get a 44" printer, if the need arises, and 300ml tanks of ink. Hard to pass up. Now I just need to figure out how I'm gonna get this beast into my tiny office.

-Doug

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:09 pm »

Quote from: doncody
Hi Doug,

Thx,
Don

Well the price alone is justification. There is more than enough info on the Canon Wiki pages to sort out any hiccups in software, and a few remaining hardware obstacles.

Good choice, good printer, now you just have to free up wall space!
Pages: [1]   Go Up