Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 won't print following paper preset addition  (Read 3641 times)

Dward

z3100 won't print following paper preset addition
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:44 pm »

I have a z3100, plain vanilla, and a Mac G5 PPC with Photoshop CS3.   Things have worked fine with this configuration for over a year.   The printer is hardwired  directly to the computer, connected via Ethernet.  I added a new paper preset two days ago and since then whenever I try to print, Photoshop "unexpectedly quits".  I've tried adding/subtracting printers in Print Setup Utility, as well as the HP Printer Utility, and restarting both the computer and printer several times.  The printer DOES show up in both utilities (i.e., the computer sees the printer OK).  I've run Disk Utility and Drive Genius 2, all to no avail.   And, naturally I have customers who needs prints asap.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

meierm01

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:46:16 pm »

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue with a similar setup (PPC G5 Mac, CS3, just added a new paper and updated the driver).
Made one print successfully, and now PS quits anytime I try to print to the Z3100.  Every other printer works just fine, BTW.

Anyone have ideas?

mark meier

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:02:43 pm »

I'm having slightly different issues, but also related to loading a new paper preset.
I tried loading the one for HP Paper Backed Satin Silk through the web browser/server approach.  It said that it was successfully loaded in the browser and the printer restarted, but no new preset.  Stranger though, was that it changed the IP address of my printer.  After a manual reset of the address, I tried again with the printer utility.  Same behavior, but this time no change in the networking.
After a lengthy call to tech support, with them conferring amongst themselves many times, they said that they would need to research it more and call me back on Monday.
I'm connected through a direct ethernet connection and JetDirect, on a Mac running OS10.5.6.  I have a 44" Z3100ps GP, with the latest firmware.  Just for grins, I also tried it through USB and tried loading other paper presets, to no avail.  I have done this many times in the past, with some glitches (like screwing up my ability to update the custom paper list), but never with a failure to load the paper presets.
Strange doings . . . so far, though, no issues with Photoshop (thankfully!).
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

meierm01

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 01:03:27 am »

Actually, EVERY program now crashes when I try to print with the Z3100, even Word!!!

mark meier

Dward

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:17:22 am »

Quote from: georgek
I had similar problems with Photoshop crashing from my PC running Windows XP. Solution was to make Z3100 the default printer. Don't know if this works on a Mac but you can give it a try...

I'm the original poster, and I finally had to delete the new paper preset (it was the stain baryta) to get the printer to work again.  I'd love to know how to be able to add paper presets without creating this problem.  BTW, the z3100  is and was my default printer at the time of the problem.

Thanks again,
David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:05:01 am »

Quote from: Dward
I'm the original poster, and I finally had to delete the new paper preset (it was the stain baryta) to get the printer to work again.  I'd love to know how to be able to add paper presets without creating this problem.  BTW, the z3100  is and was my default printer at the time of the problem.

Thanks again,
David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com

Probably worth a call to HP tech support. My experiences with them were generally pretty good. On a Windows XP system I had repeated crashes of CS3 every time I tried to print, and they immediately recognized that I had installed the latest printer driver without completely removing the previous version. They walked me through the fix very nicely. Took an hour or so, though.

I love the Z3100, but it surely has the squirreliest driver on the planet.

EvoM

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:00:25 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Probably worth a call to HP tech support. My experiences with them were generally pretty good. On a Windows XP system I had repeated crashes of CS3 every time I tried to print, and they immediately recognized that I had installed the latest printer driver without completely removing the previous version. They walked me through the fix very nicely. Took an hour or so, though.

I love the Z3100, but it surely has the squirreliest driver on the planet.

Geoff could you elaborate on removing the previous driver please. i am about to upgrade driver/firmware but a bit nervous with all the issues!

meierm01

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:20:54 am »

Problem now solved.

Like David, I had installed the new HP Baryta preset and had profiled Photo Rag Baryta.  My solution was to first export my custom profile using the Print Utility.
I then deleted both the Photo Rag Baryta profile and the HP Baryta profile from my computer and the printer, deleted the print driver, restarted the printer and computer and, finally, re-installed the driver.

After the driver was installed, I verified that everything worked before using the Print Utility to import my previously saved Photo Rag Baryta profile.

All is working again.  Phew!

mark meier

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:24:59 pm »

Mark, or others that this solution has worked for:

Have you been able to successfully load the HP Barite paper preset gain, after wiping the slate clean?  I don't plan on using anymore of their Barite itself, but want to use the Hahnemuhle PR Baryta, and think I will still need the Barite paper preset, or another with the same paramaters (which HP no longer publishes, as in:  ink limit, quad, PK or MK settings, etc.) to make the Hahnemuhle paper perform.  I don't expect that I will need to get rid of the PR Baryta ICC profile, so I should just need to choose an appropriate HP paper preset to go with it (right?).  If I wind up with any difference in the paper preset settings, I'm sure fresh profiles will be needed.

For my particular problem, HP Tech Support says that they know of no issues derived from their paper preset, and they are recommending a complete zeroing out of my onboard HD, or replacing it altogether with a new formatter.  Frankly, I'd rather only go there as a laaaaast resort.  

Thanks,
Ron

PS:  I just had my first service contract on-site repair since recently moving to Hawaii.  They replaced my pinch rollers with the new design.  They had many opportunities to do with a cross town trip while I was still in San Francisco.  In finally coming through here, with the right parts (sent the wrong ones with the right part number again, though), it required a round trip plane flight, a rental car, and an entire day spent for a two hour service call.  Well handled on this end, however, and polite and efficient customer service.  Perhaps it will ironically prove to be better service on a rock in the middle of the Pacific than in the Bay Area?

Quote from: meierm01
My solution was to first export my custom profile using the Print Utility.
I then deleted both the Photo Rag Baryta profile and the HP Baryta profile from my computer and the printer, deleted the print driver, restarted the printer and computer and, finally, re-installed the driver.

After the driver was installed, I verified that everything worked before using the Print Utility to import my previously saved Photo Rag Baryta profile.
-Ron H.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:48:01 pm »

Quote from: georgek
Ron, I find the best preset for Hahnemuhle PR Baryta is the HP Professional Satin. Deeper blacks and no GD. Give it a try.

George
Sweet.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tip.
-Ron H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up