Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd lightroom behaviour  (Read 3738 times)

sniper

Odd lightroom behaviour
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:03:52 pm »

I'm using Lightroom 2.3 on Windows XP pro, it's been working ok all along since the upgrade from V1.4, today it's started behaving very oddly.  First I noticed some of the sliders (exposure etc) reset themselves after an ajustment, they just went back to default, the first couple of times I though I'd moved them by accident or something till I saw one move on it's own, they don't do it all the time but now and again.  Then while ajusting the fill light on 2 images (auto sync) the preview image turned upside down (and possible back to front as well) then I got a pop up box saying lightroom has encountered a problem,and needs to shut down, then it did.
It restarted ok and seemed to work ok for the few minutes I tried it.  Is this a known problem? (I haven't heard of it) is it worth me trashing preferences and if so how do you do it with LR? I know that fixes some odd things with photoshop.  Thanks  Wayne

Tklimek

Odd lightroom behaviour
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:58:50 am »

Wayne.......

That's very strange.  This may be completely unrelated but for some reason struck a chord with what you are saying.  I have been working in Photoshop Premiere Elements recently trying to make a DVD out of several hundred pictures exported from Lightroom (version 2.3 on Vista 32).  Sometimes I noticed that after working for quite a while, in my "timeline" the previews would be upside down.  Usually shortly thereafter I would receive a message telling me to save my work and proceed cautiously as Premiere was running low on memory.  Of course if I closed the program and restarted it would work for a period of time before the odd behavior would happen again and I'd restart again.  In your case, is this persistant behavior or just a one time event?  I wonder if the my type of event and yours are releated..even though different programs (same company).

Cheers...

Todd

Quote from: sniper
I'm using Lightroom 2.3 on Windows XP pro, it's been working ok all along since the upgrade from V1.4, today it's started behaving very oddly.  First I noticed some of the sliders (exposure etc) reset themselves after an ajustment, they just went back to default, the first couple of times I though I'd moved them by accident or something till I saw one move on it's own, they don't do it all the time but now and again.  Then while ajusting the fill light on 2 images (auto sync) the preview image turned upside down (and possible back to front as well) then I got a pop up box saying lightroom has encountered a problem,and needs to shut down, then it did.
It restarted ok and seemed to work ok for the few minutes I tried it.  Is this a known problem? (I haven't heard of it) is it worth me trashing preferences and if so how do you do it with LR? I know that fixes some odd things with photoshop.  Thanks  Wayne

sniper

Odd lightroom behaviour
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »

It's only happened the once (although the sliders may have moved in previous sesions without me noticing) in my case the sliders moved maybe a dozen times or so over a couple of hours, the upside down bit just the once, and only the main window was inverted, I'm fairly sure the thumbnails stayed the right way up (although not positive) I only used it briefly after to finish the pics I was working on and export (I was working on a wedding) and didn't want to loose my work, it exported ok.
They do sound similar-ish issues.
Thanks  Wayne

chasgroh

• Chashots
Odd lightroom behaviour
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:37:24 pm »

Quote from: sniper
It's only happened the once (although the sliders may have moved in previous sesions without me noticing) in my case the sliders moved maybe a dozen times or so over a couple of hours, the upside down bit just the once, and only the main window was inverted, I'm fairly sure the thumbnails stayed the right way up (although not positive) I only used it briefly after to finish the pics I was working on and export (I was working on a wedding) and didn't want to loose my work, it exported ok.
They do sound similar-ish issues.
Thanks  Wayne

...on a similar note, when using the brush to burn-in or dodge, I get the same error message.  At first it wasn't a big deal, but now it's getting serious because if I'm not careful I have to start over on the file I'm working on, instead of LR picking-up where it left off when I get back...I mean, it'll go to grey screen!  After using the Task Manager under the performance tab and seeing how computer resources are allotted while using the brush...egad!  HUGE usage...really spikes.  I think the solution may be that my processor just doesn't have the poop to do the job...any other ideas???

Charlie Groh
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:39:36 pm by chasgroh »
Charlie Groh

...only dead fish go with the flow.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Odd lightroom behaviour
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »

Quote from: chasgroh
...on a similar note, when using the brush to burn-in or dodge, I get the same error message.  At first it wasn't a big deal, but now it's getting serious because if I'm not careful I have to start over on the file I'm working on, instead of LR picking-up where it left off when I get back...I mean, it'll go to grey screen!  After using the Task Manager under the performance tab and seeing how computer resources are allotted while using the brush...egad!  HUGE usage...really spikes.  I think the solution may be that my processor just doesn't have the poop to do the job...any other ideas???

Charlie Groh

Are you still using version 2.2. That had "memory leak" problems on several systems (including mine)
Downloading version 2.3 RC (Release candidate = better than Beta but not fully final/pretty close) solved the problem for me.
You can find it on the Adobe Labs website here
Hope it will solve your problem as well.
pieter, aka pegelli

chasgroh

• Chashots
Odd lightroom behaviour
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »

Quote from: pegelli
Are you still using version 2.2. That had "memory leak" problems on several systems (including mine)
Downloading version 2.3 RC (Release candidate = better than Beta but not fully final/pretty close) solved the problem for me.
You can find it on the Adobe Labs website here
Hope it will solve your problem as well.

Thank you, sir! If this is, indeed, the fix, you have saved me some time and maybe some hard-to-come-by bux too!    
(sheesh...I've been meaning to do this...heh...)

cg
Charlie Groh

chasgroh

• Chashots
Odd lightroom behaviour
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »

Quote from: chasgroh
Thank you, sir! If this is, indeed, the fix, you have saved me some time and maybe some hard-to-come-by bux too!    
(sheesh...I've been meaning to do this...heh...)

cg

...seems like it's running good!  Thanks again!

cg
Charlie Groh

mcmorrison

Re: Odd lightroom behaviour
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:53:33 pm »

Hello,

I am using LR3.4RC, OSX 10.6.7, 8 GB RAM, 2.93 GHz i7.

I am having a similar issue. When I put the cursor over a slider to make it active, use the up and down arrows to adjust, the adjustment is made as expected. Then, a few moments later, 10 to 15 seconds, the adjustment reverts to the previous setting all by itself. This happens, at least, with the white balance, exposure, brightness sliders, and many of the brush sliders.

I can sometimes get this to stop by immediately moving the cursor off the slider, but even this doesn't seem reliable. I am processing ARW files from a Sony A-850, though I think this also happens with scanned images. This is, of course, a frustration!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up