Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tokio 5 and 6 Gigapixel ( world largest images with focusblending)  (Read 9928 times)

julian kalmar

These two images I took about two month ago, are the largest images using focus blending technique.
Using this technique enables you to integrate near and far objects in the sigle images which normaly isn´t possible due to Dof problems with tele lenses.
Of course using focusblending with Gigapixelimages makes it difficult to stitch the panorama, because with changing the focus, you are changing the focal lenght too (only a little, but enough to make problems).
I worked nearly one year to find a solution to use this technique without spending weeks to correct all stitching errors. In the images there are some hotspots, so you can open the second image with the hotspot included.
In the second image ( with Mount Fuji) I used exposureblending too, but I had some troubles with little earthquakes, so not everything is 100% sharp, but on the other side the weather is not very often that clear, so I decided not to stop the shooting

http://photoartkalmar.com/ZOOMIFY/tokyo-2.html
http://photoartkalmar.com/ZOOMIFY/tokyo.html

DUE TO SERVER LIMITATION SOMETIMES YOU WILL GET EITHER ERROR MASSAGES DURING WATCHING OR A 503 ERROR: UNFORTUNATELY ONLY 50 CONNECTIONS AT THE SAME TIME ARE POSSIBLE:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:36:05 am by julian kalmar »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Tokio 5 and 6 Gigapixel ( world largest images with focusblending)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:29:13 pm »

Quote from: julian kalmar
These two images I took about two month ago, are the largest images using focus blending technique.
Using this technique enables you to integrate near and far objects in the sigle images which normaly isn´t possible due to Dof problems with tele lenses.
Of course using focusblending with Gigapixelimages makes it difficult to stitch the panorama, because with changing the focus, you are changing the focal lenght too (only a little, but enough to make problems).
I worked nearly one year to find a solution to use this technique without spending weeks to correct all stitching errors. In the images there are some hotspots, so you can open the second image with the hotspot included.
In the second image ( with Mount Fuji) I used exposureblending too, but I had some troubles with little earthquakes, so not everything is 100% sharp, but on the other side the weather is not very often that clear, so I decided not to stop the shooting

http://photoartkalmar.com/ZOOMIFY/tokyo-2.html
http://photoartkalmar.com/ZOOMIFY/tokyo.html

DUE TO SERVER LIMITATION SOMETIMES YOU WILL GET EITHER ERROR MASSAGES DURING WATCHING OR A 503 ERROR: UNFORTUNATELY ONLY 50 CONNECTIONS AT THE SAME TIME ARE POSSIBLE:

The level of detail and DOF is staggering... I would really appreciate if you could share your DOF technique. I've done up to a few hundred megapixels with exposure stacking, but haven't dared to try DOF stacking yet.

Also, what's the panorama plugin you use? I use zoomify which is great (and free), but unfortunately doesn't have full-screen mode.

julian kalmar

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:44:23 pm »

Quote from: feppe
The level of detail and DOF is staggering... I would really appreciate if you could share your DOF technique. I've done up to a few hundred megapixels with exposure stacking, but haven't dared to try DOF stacking yet.

Also, what's the panorama plugin you use? I use zoomify which is great (and free), but unfortunately doesn't have full-screen mode.
for focusblending I use CombineZM, but the technique for not getting hundreds of stitching errors I will not share. I worked nearly one year on this, and now I´m the only photographer who is able to do such panos and I prefere to stay the only one.
The viewer is krpano. It can use the zoomifytitles.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:45:29 pm »

for focusblending I use CombineZM, but the technique for not getting hundreds of stitching errors I will not share. I worked nearly one year on this, and now I´m the only photographer who is able to do such panos and I prefere to stay the only one.

That's not very nice  

teo.karp

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:40:14 pm »

wow that is incredibile... i could actually read the maxell sign on a building that was the size of a needle point(the building,not the sign) on the overall image

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:16:33 pm »

There'e a nudy in the window in that tower just 6 miles away to the right.  
Quote from: teo.karp
wow that is incredibile... i could actually read the maxell sign on a building that was the size of a needle point(the building,not the sign) on the overall image

elf

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:34:42 am »

I wouldn't bet a lot of money that you're the only one in the world that can do focus stacked panos with no stitching errors     All it requires is keeping all of the horizontal and vertical rotations centered on the entrance pupil.

p.s. It looks like there's a problem with your site:
INFO: Flashplayer WIN 10,0,12,36 ActiveX
INFO: registered to: julian kalmar
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-2-0.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-3-0.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-2-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-3-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-12-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-13-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-0-3.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-1-3.jpg" failed
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:36:47 am by elf »

julian kalmar

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:26:17 am »

Quote from: elf
I wouldn't bet a lot of money that you're the only one in the world that can do focus stacked panos with no stitching errors     All it requires is keeping all of the horizontal and vertical rotations centered on the entrance pupil.

p.s. It looks like there's a problem with your site:
INFO: Flashplayer WIN 10,0,12,36 ActiveX
INFO: registered to: julian kalmar
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-2-0.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-3-0.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-2-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-3-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-12-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-13-2.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-0-3.jpg" failed
ERROR: download of "tokyo/TileGroup0/4-1-3.jpg" failed
Try to reload, normaly this helps. Unfortunately my server can do only 50 connections at the same time. If there are more, such errors happens.
As far as focusblending concern: Try to find anyone who dose focusblending with Gigapixelimages. With changing the focus, you are changing the focal length too. that´s the problem. It has nothing to do with the entrance pupil.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:17:30 pm »

These comments make me think where is the best place to put ones photographic treasure. I would choose to develop a personal photographic discourse that is honest to myself, than in some technique that will eventually be replaced by some funky plugin for a few dollars. Where would you?

elf

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 09:16:15 pm »

Try to reload, normaly this helps. Unfortunately my server can do only 50 connections at the same time. If there are more, such errors happens.
As far as focusblending concern: Try to find anyone who dose focusblending with Gigapixelimages. With changing the focus, you are changing the focal length too. that´s the problem. It has nothing to do with the entrance pupil.

When the focal length changes, you're also changing the entrance pupil.  It's interesting that you've found a software solution.  I've had focus stacked panos where the focus was changed in the normal manor by using the lens that stitched very well and some that were way off.  My solution is hardware and is a spherical panorama head with a bellows that allows focusing from infinity to super macros (8X or more).  I have zero parallax errors when stitching.

In any case, the number of people that have the inclination and the time to do multi-gigapixel is very limited and I doubt if sharing your technique would impact your business.

p.s. The images look very well done, but I think you need a better system to display them.   I'm still seeing errors on both images. You may want to take a look at Microsoft ICE at http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/red...groups/ivm/ICE/.  I haven't seen these types of errors with it.

Panopeeper

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:30:42 pm »

Changing the focal length between the frames is nothing special; a decent stitcher (i.e. one, which is based on Panorama Tools) has no problem with that. I am shooting for panos almost always with refocusing between the frames, in order to increase the DoF. If parallax error is a problem, then one should find a lens, which does not change (or at least not much) the entrance pupil location with focusing.
Gabor

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 04:33:51 am »

Nice result, thanks for sharing.

As far as you quoted comment, I would personnally call this "over-confidence", but that is just me.  

Anybody willing to invest money in a Claus Rodeon head and Breeze Pro can achieve what you have done without breaking a sweat. The only slightly challenging part is with the sky part, but Autopano Pro 2's support for the Claus rodeon log files will soon make this a total breeze.

The you just need the right hardware and some patience...

At the risk of being a bit harsh, I will be even more impressed by the achivement when the 5 gigapixel photograph will feature an interesting subject in an interesting location at an interesting time of the day...

Cheers,
Bernard

julian kalmar

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:00:10 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Nice result, thanks for sharing.
Anybody willing to invest money in a Claus Rodeon head and Breeze Pro can achieve what you have done without breaking a sweat.
The you just need the right hardware and some patience...
Cheers,
Bernard

That´s exactely one of the problems: you can´t do focusstucking with an automatic haed because some images you have to make twice ,others three times with different focusing points and others only one time. This is not possible with an automatic head because the sense of this heads are to shoot the entire pano automaticly.
and a second thing: the little changes of  the entrance pupil doesn´t matter anything with long tele lense.

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
As far as you quoted comment, I would personnally call this "over-confidence", but that is just me.  
I´m really soory for this.
I know, that sometimes what I´m writing isn´t really good to read. This is because English isn´t my  mother tongue.

Quote from: Panopeeper
Changing the focal length between the frames is nothing special; a decent stitcher (i.e. one, which is based on Panorama Tools) has no problem with that. I am shooting for panos almost always with refocusing between the frames, in order to increase the DoF. If parallax error is a problem, then one should find a lens, which does not change (or at least not much) the entrance pupil location with focusing.
As you wrote, refocusing is not the problem in the most cases- only sometimes.
But if you try to mix focusstucked images with "normal images, this will result in much more issues. Sometimes PTgui can handle this but if you have many strait and vertical lines ( like in city panos) you will see, what I´m talking about.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:15:27 am by julian kalmar »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:45:27 am »

But if you try to mix focusstucked images with "normal images, this will result in much more issues. Sometimes PTgui can handle this but if you have many strait and vertical lines ( like in city panos) you will see, what I´m talking about.

Then perhaps PTgui is not the right software for these applications?

Cheers,
Bernard

MarkL

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 08:04:51 am »

Photoshop will handle images that are differently sized due to a different focus point. Many of my panos use different focus points making the need for focus blending only occasional.

PS won't handle gigapixel images of course....

julian kalmar

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:08:14 am »

Quote from: MarkL
Photoshop will handle images that are differently sized due to a different focus point. Many of my panos use different focus points making the need for focus blending only occasional.

PS won't handle gigapixel images of course....
That´s the point. Not everything what works with small things works with large things too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up