Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop/Bridge/ACR CS4 - Windows Vista 64bit  (Read 3988 times)

Dinarius

Photoshop/Bridge/ACR CS4 - Windows Vista 64bit
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:17:47 am »

System: Intel Core™2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00Ghz, Windows Vista x64, 8Gb RAM (set to 60%), NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 (Driver 7.15.11.8120, dated 26/12/2008)

Firstly, as someone indicated in another thread I started about ACR, ACR 5.2 (as it is now) is reason enough to upgrade to CS4. It's simply incredible and pretty much a one-stop-shop in editing terms for the kind of work I do. (The Adjustment Brush is worth the price of the upgrade on its own. You're effectively getting PS 11 thrown in for free!) As someone said to me recently, PS is now only for the fun stuff.

However, I have a few quibbles and I should say in advance that if these are due to Preference/Settings choices on my part, then please tell me.

Overall, CS4 (PS, Bridge and ACR) is noticeably slower than CS3. All programs take longer to "settle" (for want of a better word) after opening. Bridge, in particular, takes much longer to fully load a folder of RAW files.

In PS, if I zoom in and then start using the Hand Tool to move round an image, the image continues to move for a second or so after I have let go the mouse button. It kind of skids to a halt. Also, while dragging the image around, it becomes indistinct over large areas and has to redefine itself after I let go the mouse button. A bit odd that.

While it is fantastic to now have a Heal tool as well as the Clone tool, the Clone tool doesn't always behave the same way as it does in CS3. I always have the Opacity set to 100, yet I am finding, on occasion, that I am left with a ghost impression of what I am trying to clone left behind. This never happens in CS3. Also, when I return to a cloned correction after making other changes, and click on the visible circle, the red and green circles don't always reappear.

That's pretty much it. But, I've only had it for a week or so.

D.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:23:54 am by Dinarius »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:42:13 am »

Quote from: Dinarius
System: Intel Core™2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00Ghz, Windows Vista x64, 8Gb RAM (set to 60%), NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 (Driver 7.15.11.8120, dated 26/12/2008)

Firstly, as someone indicated in another thread I started about ACR, ACR 5.2 (as it is now) is reason enough to upgrade to CS4. It's simply incredible and pretty much a one-stop-shop in editing terms for the kind of work I do. (The Adjustment Brush is worth the price of the upgrade on its own. You're effectively getting PS 11 thrown in for free!) As someone said to me recently, PS is now only for the fun stuff.

However, I have a few quibbles and I should say in advance that if these are due to Preference/Settings choices on my part, then please tell me.

Overall, CS4 (PS, Bridge and ACR) is noticeably slower than CS3. All programs take longer to "settle" (for want of a better word) after opening. Bridge, in particular, takes much longer to fully load a folder of RAW files.

In PS, if I zoom in and then start using the Hand Tool to move round an image, the image continues to move for a second or so after I have let go the mouse button. It kind of skids to a halt. Also, while dragging the image around, it becomes indistinct over large areas and has to redefine itself after I let go the mouse button. A bit odd that.

While it is fantastic to now have a Heal tool as well as the Clone tool, the Clone tool doesn't always behave the same way as it does in CS3. I always have the Opacity set to 100, yet I am finding, on occasion, that I am left with a ghost impression of what I am trying to clone left behind. This never happens in CS3. Also, when I return to a cloned correction after making other changes, and click on the visible circle, the red and green circles don't always reappear.

That's pretty much it. But, I've only had it for a week or so.

D.

You're having the infamous 'Open GL' problem. Try updating your video card software and see if that helps. If it doesn't then switch off Open GL in the settings and then you will find that Bridge CS4 is faster (slightly) than it was in CS2 and a couple of light years better than the awful kludge that was Bridge CS3.

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:56:42 am »

Pom,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

As you can see from the date of my graphics driver, posted above, it's right up to date.

So, how do I change this Open GL setting you refer to?

Thanks.

D.

Edited! Found it. Will uncheck that box and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:00:21 am by Dinarius »

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:08:24 am »

Furthermore...............

Found this article> http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...rnalId=kb404898

Obviously, I have the required graphics features because Enable Open GL is turned on in my Performance Settings.

So, why do I have a problem? I've checked my graphics stats and I have Total Available Graphics Memory of 2558Mb, with Dedicated Video Memory of 512Mb, considerably more than the 128Mb minimum suggested in the article.

So, why is it so much slower across the board than CS3?

D.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:25:49 am »

Slower? Mine fairly rockets compared to CS3.
I realize this isn't helping your problem    so I wish you luck. OTOH, I can't get ACR 5.2 to load into CS4!

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:09 pm »

Preferences->General

Turn off 'Enabled Flicked Panning'

The only problem I have with 64-bit CS4 is synchronising settings between PS32 and PS64 and being able to choose which version of PS I want to launch from bridge. The reason being that not all plug-ins work in PS64 and it is necessary to use them in PS32 hence the need to choose at launch.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:30:37 pm by DiaAzul »
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Dinarius

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 03:40:54 pm »

Thanks for the tip.

One other thing..........

I just noticed that the dreaded "There was not enough memory" error issue when saving out a lot of files has still not been solved. Very annoying.

D.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:01:00 pm »

Thanks for the tip.

One other thing..........

I just noticed that the dreaded "There was not enough memory" error issue when saving out a lot of files has still not been solved. Very annoying.

D.

It's solved in the ACR 5.3 RC but when I loaded it onto my system it killed my ACR completely and I had to uninstall and reinstall so I'm leaving off 5.3 till it comes out of beta.

Dinarius

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:45:38 pm »

Good to know.

I should have said that I can save any number of Canon (120Mb) files. But, I can only save about 6-8 Hasselblad files (225Mb) at a time.

Why that is, I have no idea.

D.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:01 am »

One thing I have noticed with the Vista 64 bit platform, is that Microsoft incorporated a lot more governing on the user accounts.  This is done with the UAC.   Which I have turned off for
my user account.

I have also found that if I run CS4 from a admin prompt, I can process more work without a lockup.  For some reason the admin account seems to have more direct access to the processors and
memory.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Dinarius

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:10:49 am »

Paul,

Interesting you should mention lockup. This is something I have never had with BridgeCS3/ACRCS3, except when processing Hasselblad files and I get the "There was not enough memory" error.

But, I've just had a new problem with ACR CS4.

I had about 10 Canon files open and I was applying lots of changes to them. When I got to the eight or ninth file, things started to go awry. I went back to a file to apply an additional Spot Removal edit and when I then clicked on the Hand Tool, the Spot Removal circles didn't disappear.

I closed ACR and reopened the same 10 files again from Bridge. But, it wouldn't open fully. I could see the Bridge window behind half the ACR window. Very odd.

UAC is turned off on this machine. It annoys the hell out of me. Automatic installation of updates is also off.

But, I think that there are resources issues with CS4.

I think that there may also be problems with differences between the ACR histogram and the CS4 histogram of the same file after processing, but I'll come back to that.

D.

Dinarius

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 10:10:38 am »

Oops!

Just had the "There was not enough memory" error while trying to process a mere 12(!!) Canon files.

This is the first time that this has ever happened to me with Canon files.

Gotta say, with the exception of the incredible Adjustment Brush, Bridge/ACR CS4 is starting to bark and wear a lead.

Not good.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up