Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's complaining about the D3x price?  (Read 5085 times)

NikosR

• http://
Who's complaining about the D3x price?
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:24:25 am »

Prices at warehouseexpress today:

Canon 1DsIII 5899 pounds.
Nikon D3x 5246 pounds.

No comments...
Nikos

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:45:55 am »

Will be different in the future, but just for the record today:

1DMkIII     2940 pounds
D3             2890 pounds
5DMkII      2094 pounds
D700         1699 pounds
A900         1689 pounds

Probably not fully fair comparison due to different times after launch, but still today .....

Edited : Well spotted Bernard \/ \/ \/  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:52:41 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:15:22 am »

Quote from: pegelli
D700         1699 pounds
A700         1689 pounds

Probably not fully fair comparison due to different times after launch, but still today .....

I don't think they must be selling too many A700s at that price point...

Cheers,
Bernard

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:12:47 am »

Here in OZ the D3x is around  $ 12,500 and the DsIII is a bit under $10,000

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:12:47 am »

Quote from: David Anderson

Yeah, well, 20% more to pay for AF that actually works. Which pro is gonna complain about that ?

I have no idea about the D700, but I expect the D3 is the same - frankly I'm surprised that on a forum where every minor disfunction gets avalanched, the fact that the D3/D3x work as specced hasn't turned them into a best-seller recommendation.

As regards real-world sales, fact is most working pros are locked in by the investments in their lens collections, which is why the change-over rate from brand C to brand N is probably pretty low. Brand S plays to a different audience.

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:14:15 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:06:27 am »

Yeah, well, 20% more to pay for AF that actually works. Which pro is gonna complain about that ?

Sorry I must missunderstand... are you saying there is a problem with the 1DS MK3 focus?

Because I beg to differ - I shoot with a 1DSMK3 daily and I am hear to tell you its focus is spot on the money.

Be that as it may [and it IS].. I like the Nikon and Canon cameras - each has their pros and cons - and each pro will tell you why they like and dislike both.

As for brand 'S' playing to a different audience - complete BS. Every pro I know is constantly evaluating the market to ensure they are staying ahead of the bell curve. Sony is in the game - investment in lens be dammed. MR is the perfect example.

Its only the fan boyz that feel the inferiority complex and the need to brand bash. And I thought you were better than that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:15:06 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:07:49 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
Sorry I must missunderstand... are you saying there is a problem with the 1DS MK3 focus?

Because I beg to differ - I shoot with a 1DSMK3 daily and I am hear to tell you its focus is spot on the money.

Be that as it may [and it IS].. I like the Nikon and Canon cameras - each has their pros and cons - and each pro will tell you why they like and dislike both.

As for brand 'S' playing to a different audience - complete BS. Every pro I know is constantly evaluating the market to ensure they are staying ahead of the bell curve. Sony is in the game - investment in lens be dammed. MR is the perfect example.

Its only the fan boyz that feel the inferiority complex and the need to brand bash. And I thought you were better than that.

Regarding brand "S", I don't think they're the competing for the fast-focus low-light market with their present flagship. Before I got the N I tried an S with the Zeiss 85; I didn't feel this is what I wanted to use to snap quick shots with in low light. Personal opinion, not test results.

Now, regarding the 1Ds3, I am happy you have one that works. I did some tests, one of a model with studio flash and focus with modeling lights, one of a static subject, with different cameras supplied by C. In both cases the single-shot focus was less accurate than my Mamiya. Chalk it up to operator incompetence if you will, but as I'm the operator I don't care about other people's results. My 1Ds never had focus issues, the Mamiya is on-focus and the N is equally. I had an unusable 1DII, an initially bad 1Ds2 that was eventually fixed, and simply didn't want an other camera that performs like the 1Ds3s that *I* tested. In the future, I am not purchasing any new C without testing the actual body serial I will purchase.

As regards brand "N", it would seem that the D3 was well received, and (luckily) it seems the focus action of the body design transfers to the necessary accuracy at the tolerances needed for the D3x. I find it encouraging that people are screaming only about pricing issues.

By the way, I purchased my N at a pro shop which allowed me to test it before buying. I also purchased an 85/1.4, and here the first sample offered by the shop was tested soft, in the shop, the second was sharp. The design variation between lens samples was known to the shop, they indicated other customers had similar experiences. However they also said that they had no adjustment returns on the N D-series bodies, and considerable after-sales issues on the C brand.  This is pure hearsay, however I would think that this means that Nikon adjustment and QC are doing a careful job on the D3x in the factory, and buyers are being billed for it.

And yes, I will say something more - I'm actually a brand C fanboy, I still prefer both their lenses and camera ergonomics. Thanks for giving me another pretext for stating my personal preferences.

Let's both keep our opinions on the equipment we've seen and tried. It's quite allowable to have differing findings and opinions, and I don't think the worse of anyone who disagrees with me (because I know I'm always right)

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:27:13 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:04:30 pm »

Regarding brand "S", I don't think they're the competing for the fast-focus low-light market with their present flagship. Before I got the N I tried an S with the Zeiss 85; I didn't feel this is what I wanted to use to snap quick shots with in low light. Personal opinion, not test results.

Fair enough - cant argue with that methodology.  

Now, regarding the 1Ds3, I am happy you have one that works. I did some tests, one of a model with studio flash and focus with modeling lights, one of a static subject, with different cameras supplied by C. In both cases the single-shot focus was less accurate than my Mamiya. Chalk it up to operator incompetence if you will, but as I'm the operator I don't care about other people's results. My 1Ds never had focus issues, the Mamiya is on-focus and the N is equally. I had an unusable 1DII, an initially bad 1Ds2 that was eventually fixed, and simply didn't want an other camera that performs like the 1Ds3s that *I* tested. In the future, I am not purchasing any new C without testing the actual body serial I will purchase.

Sounds like you have just been unlucky if that has been your experience.

As regards brand "N", it would seem that the D3 was well received, and (luckily) it seems the focus action of the body design transfers to the necessary accuracy at the tolerances needed for the D3x. I find it encouraging that people are screaming only about pricing issues.

Agreed - it is a good thing when all there is to complain about is price.

By the way, I purchased my N at a pro shop which allowed me to test it before buying. I also purchased an 85/1.4, and here the first sample offered by the shop was tested soft, in the shop, the second was sharp. The design variation between lens samples was known to the shop, they indicated other customers had similar experiences. However they also said that they had no adjustment returns on the N D-series bodies, and considerable after-sales issues on the C brand. This is pure hearsay, however I would think that this means that Nikon adjustment and QC are doing a careful job on the D3x in the factory, and buyers are being billed for it.

Its highly probable N are going to extraordinary lengths to maintain QC on the D3X - after all, it really is the first serious camera they have to compete against the Canon 1D series. And they appear to charging head long to take the lead. Competition in this regard is good for the industry.

And yes, I will say something more - I'm actually a brand C fanboy, I still prefer both their lenses and camera ergonomics. Thanks for giving me another pretext for stating my personal preferences.

Your welcome.  

Let's both keep our opinions on the equipment we've seen and tried. It's quite allowable to have differing findings and opinions, and I don't think the worse of anyone who disagrees with me (because I know I'm always right)

So say we all.  
Wild Nature Photo Travel

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:48 pm »

Canon prices across the range have taken a big hike in the UK making them very uncompetitive. Very recently you could get a 1Ds3 body for £4395, now they're at £5899. That's a massive price hike but not wholly representative of price rises across the Canon range. Happily I bought mine a while ago and don't need any additional lenses. Want, yes, need, no. Will wait!
Pete Truman

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 02:32:59 pm »

Quote from: David Anderson

Over the ditch in NZ, 1DSIII $ 12125 and the D3x $17000.

Professional

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 03:15:53 pm »

WOW, i just bought my 1DsIII on September with about US$7000 including the taxes and the shipping to UAE, i don't know what is the price of D3x in UAE but the 1DsIII is about US$8600, i am so lucky to bought that 1DsIII before i travel to New Zealand in November 2008, had fun and it was perfect and zero regret, the focus was and still rocket same as my 1DIII, amazing, because of that i never look back at 5DII or D700 or even D3X, i directly went to Hasselblad H3D and i couldn't be happier than now.

Jonathan H

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 12:18:30 am »

Quote from: pegelli
Will be different in the future, but just for the record today:

1DMkIII     2940 pounds
D3             2890 pounds
5DMkII      2094 pounds
D700         1699 pounds
A900         1689 pounds

Edited : Well spotted Bernard \/ \/ \/  

Woah, that's crazy.  Ha ha, if any of you UK'ers want, I'll buy one for you here and ship it to you at US prices.  Hell, it might even be worthwhile to fly over and buy one in the states yourself!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:18:54 am by Jonathan H »
Long walks on the beach, nights by the f

NigelC

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:53:12 am »

Quote from: Jonathan H
Woah, that's crazy.  Ha ha, if any of you UK'ers want, I'll buy one for you here and ship it to you at US prices.  Hell, it might even be worthwhile to fly over and buy one in the states yourself!

I know this has been debated endlessly before, but remember UK prices include VAT @ 15%. Usually need to add US local sales taxes to quoted price. If you go over to US, you should get tax rebated, but then you will have to pay import duty and VAT on top of tax-free US price. I believe (!)

ChrisJR

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:34 pm »

I can't believe the price hikes even with the pound falling in value. I just spent 3 weeks in Taiwan and saw the 1ds mk3 for around £4600 and the 5d mk2 for £1600. Absolutely fantastic country to visit and in the case of the 1ds mk3 it's actually cheaper to take a holiday there and buy the camera than buy it in the UK. Crazy!

John S C

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:11:44 am »

If you look at the way the Pound has been falling against the Yen it's not really surprising  we are seeing price increases in the order of 25-30%

In August last year the Pound would buy about 210 Yen, today it's less than 140.

Glad I got my 1Ds last year.

nhung

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 06:47:46 pm »

far too expensive for what it gives you can get a leaf refurb 22 mg px for the same price and Nikon is not selling much of it lets wait for the downgrade
Pages: [1]   Go Up