Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Film MF  (Read 6953 times)

Professional

Film MF
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:04:27 pm »

Hey there,

Just wondering, which is the best Film medium format there? or let's say what are the best film medium format cameras out there?

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Film MF
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:56 am »

I think it is hard to say which is best. It is all a question of which features/ergonomics you find works best for your
style of photography.

I currently use the Hasselblad H2. I like the way it works ... for me.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Plekto

Film MF
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:32:32 am »

I agree.  It's all about your need.  I love range finders and TLRs due to their simplicity and low noise/unobtrusive nature.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Film MF
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:16:33 am »

Quote from: Plekto
I agree.  It's all about your need.  I love range finders and TLRs due to their simplicity and low noise/unobtrusive nature.

Me too.  I won't give up my TLR for a long, long time, but for someone shooting sports or fashion, it would be useless.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Professional

Film MF
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:55:00 am »

OK, let's ask this way, which brands i should look at as film MF? oh, i forgot to say that if i will choose a film MF in the future then i will use it only for portraits [fashion, beauty, glamor, headshots,....] and still life or products and landscapes.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Film MF
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 07:24:32 am »

Quote from: Professional
OK, let's ask this way, which brands i should look at as film MF? oh, i forgot to say that if i will choose a film MF in the future then i will use it only for portraits [fashion, beauty, glamor, headshots,....] and still life or products and landscapes.

Sorry Bro, this question isn't any less unhelpful  than the first one you posted. You're basically asking "what camera is best for everything?"  

No idea why you think the answer to this question, or series of questions, would be any different that with digital cameras.  It can't be answered without knowing what you shoot, what you are going to shoot, what your workflow will be, what your end use will be, where you live, how much money you have, how large your hands are....etc, etc.

Buy a camera and use it.  

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Professional

Film MF
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:11:15 am »

Quote from: ndevlin
Sorry Bro, this question isn't any less unhelpful  than the first one you posted. You're basically asking "what camera is best for everything?"  

No idea why you think the answer to this question, or series of questions, would be any different that with digital cameras.  It can't be answered without knowing what you shoot, what you are going to shoot, what your workflow will be, what your end use will be, where you live, how much money you have, how large your hands are....etc, etc.

Buy a camera and use it.  

- N.

I said i will use it for portraits, products and landscapes.

So should i answer all your questions so then you can decide which i can get? i shoot landscapes and portraits and still life, should i explain more what i want to shoot? workflow is just any workflow, in labs or send the films or slides to the labs, end use will be mostly for galleries or exhibitions and so, i may use them for walls in my house, where i live: in United Arab Emirates, money? say not more than $1000000 and not less than $1000    how large my hands? Medium or average, that's why i said Medium format not large format.  

Seems good luck for me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:11:43 am by Professional »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Film MF
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:39:50 am »

"Professional",

there is no stupid question. But choices in MF bodies accepting film are various, even speaking about new cameras (and I guess that you are looking for new). The second-hand market is full of used MF film bodies, as well as lenses and accessories.

I would really recommend you, if you have this possibility in the UAE (and I think you have it in Dubai), to get my hands on different systems: weight, ergonomics and use of the camera settings can please one and not another. Then, the film size plays a role as well, some are 4.5x6, some 6x6 or even 6x7, without speaking about panoramic cameras (6x12). All decisions you have to make.

You can find such cameras for film from Contax (possibly not longer new), Hasselblad, Mamiya, Rolleiflex, Sinar, to name the most important brands and in an alphabetical order. You shall certainly find all these brands in Dubai.

I can only speak for the brand I do know and represent, the Sinar Hy6, and give you the contacts of our distributor in the UAE, if this can help you:

AKN
FNC Building
Mina Road, P.O. Box: 66793
Dubai, U.A.E.

Phone: (+971) 4393 3007
Fax: (+971)4393 3008
E-mail: info@akntrade.com

Go and have a look at the Hy6: it is the latest technology in the MF scene, accepting film and digital, with a choice of over 45 different Schneider and Zeiss lenses to fit this camera. It is a 6x6 MF camera, allowing to shoot either 4.5x6 or 6x6 format, allowing the use of either a WLF or a prism finder.

That is all I can say. You may visit as well our webpage and have a look to the brochure and other details, here:

http://www.sinarcameras.com/site/index__ga...rs-rand-85.html

But again, try and hold it in your hands for a few hours, before making a decision.

Best regards,
Thierry

I said i will use it for portraits, products and landscapes.

So should i answer all your questions so then you can decide which i can get? i shoot landscapes and portraits and still life, should i explain more what i want to shoot? workflow is just any workflow, in labs or send the films or slides to the labs, end use will be mostly for galleries or exhibitions and so, i may use them for walls in my house, where i live: in United Arab Emirates, money? say not more than $1000000 and not less than $1000    how large my hands? Medium or average, that's why i said Medium format not large format.  

Seems good luck for me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:40:24 am by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Professional

Film MF
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:15:42 am »

Quote from: thsinar
"Professional",

there is no stupid question. But choices in MF bodies accepting film are various, even speaking about new cameras (and I guess that you are looking for new). The second-hand market is full of used MF film bodies, as well as lenses and accessories.

I would really recommend you, if you have this possibility in the UAE (and I think you have it in Dubai), to get my hands on different systems: weight, ergonomics and use of the camera settings can please one and not another. Then, the film size plays a role as well, some are 4.5x6, some 6x6 or even 6x7, without speaking about panoramic cameras (6x12). All decisions you have to make.

You can find such cameras for film from Contax (possibly not longer new), Hasselblad, Mamiya, Rolleiflex, Sinar, to name the most important brands and in an alphabetical order. You shall certainly find all these brands in Dubai.

I can only speak for the brand I do know and represent, the Sinar Hy6, and give you the contacts of our distributor in the UAE, if this can help you:

AKN
FNC Building
Mina Road, P.O. Box: 66793
Dubai, U.A.E.

Phone: (+971) 4393 3007
Fax: (+971)4393 3008
E-mail: info@akntrade.com

Go and have a look at the Hy6: it is the latest technology in the MF scene, accepting film and digital, with a choice of over 45 different Schneider and Zeiss lenses to fit this camera. It is a 6x6 MF camera, allowing to shoot either 4.5x6 or 6x6 format, allowing the use of either a WLF or a prism finder.

That is all I can say. You may visit as well our webpage and have a look to the brochure and other details, here:

http://www.sinarcameras.com/site/index__ga...rs-rand-85.html

But again, try and hold it in your hands for a few hours, before making a decision.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thank you very very much for your great kind reply.

In fact this is the best idea, to test and hold them before choose any to buy.

And to be honest, i have Hasselblad H3DII 39 not so long time ago, it is my first time medium format ever, but i don't know why i always thinking to try film someday, maybe many will tell me why not try 35mm film or why not to rent or so, but i have very bad habit that when i think about things then i try to won it and not try or test it only, whether for business or just fun, but still film has pros these days and mostly with large printing, i always like to print large prints and here in my area i can have many opportunities to print with billboard sizes or even larger so i want to have the highest quality in my hand when i need it, many telling me that with digital 35mm can do great large prints, how large? i have a printer in my house which prints up to about A2 [17" wide] so my minimum prints are around A3 and A2 but i always want to go much larger than that, and in our photography club almost all photos printed at size A3 minimum, and one day before a teacher there told me to print one of my photos to a large size and he showed me one large print [about 1.5m] with great quality and details, i was worry if i can but i asked him which camera did he use to print that large photo, he told me it is a Mamyia.

But in all cases, it sems my question is very general and it is one of those questions with too many or open answers, but to be honest, i was sticking with those names as you said: Hasselblad, Rollei, Sinar, Mamyia, Contax,.....etc.

Ed Jack

Film MF
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:29:21 am »

Hey there,

Just wondering, which is the best Film medium format there? or let's say what are the best film medium format cameras out there?

Yes.

Ed Jack

Film MF
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 09:31:06 am »

Quote from: Ed Jack
Yes.

I crack myself up sometimes  

Professional

Film MF
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 03:31:38 pm »

Quote from: GBPhoto
If you're going to go through the hassle of film, and enjoy its characteristics, I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 6x7.  You can always crop it down to 6x6 or 6x4.5 if you want.

I see, yes, you are right, mostly this H3D is in about 6x4.5, so if i will get a film MF then it should be larger format like 6x7 or 6x8 or whatever larger than 6x4.5-6.6.

Thanks for this comment!

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Film MF
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22:03 pm »

Quote from: GBPhoto
If you're going to go through the hassle of film, and enjoy its characteristics, I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 6x7.  You can always crop it down to 6x6 or 6x4.5 if you want.

Take a look at Mamiya 7. It is a rangefinder and for 6x7 format you cannot beat it, as in incredible for its size, weight and sheer simplicity. I shoot digital and film, and still enjoy my Mamiya 7   . Optics are stellar.

Regards
Anders

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Film MF
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 12:28:28 am »

I agree 200% with Anders but only if you plan to shoot film only. In case of doubt, an interchangeable back system might be better.
Disclaimer: Not my experience, but I suspect that a Mamiya 6X7 and a scanner like the Nikon 9000 could keep you joyfully entertained (and productive, why not) for years to come.

Eduardo

Carsten W

Film MF
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:41:57 am »

Quote from: uaiomex
I agree 200% with Anders but only if you plan to shoot film only. In case of doubt, an interchangeable back system might be better.
Disclaimer: Not my experience, but I suspect that a Mamiya 6X7 and a scanner like the Nikon 9000 could keep you joyfully entertained (and productive, why not) for years to come.

Eduardo

Actually, I just started with film again, and disagree with the 6x7 and up comment. I went straight for 6x6, which is my favorite format. There is no point in wasting frames on every film, if I will crop to 6x6 anyway.

[attachment=11566:090215_tri_x_d_76.jpg]

Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Professional

Film MF
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 07:35:34 am »

Thank you very much all

Seems i narrow my choices between Hasselblad, Mamiya and Sinar.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Film MF
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:52 am »

Thank you very much all

Seems i narrow my choices between Hasselblad, Mamiya and Sinar.

Should you wish to venture into panoramic formats, such as 612, 617 etc, then you may wish to look at the Chinese brands, such as Fotoman, Gaoersi and even Shen-Hao (all perhaps more applicable to landscapes). Fotoman and Gaoersi also make 4x5 point and shoot cameras. For what they offer they run ALOT cheaper than Japanese and European brands.

www.fotomancamera.com
www.gaoersi-camera.com
www.shen-hao.com

Above all manual everything and large format lenses.

I went for the Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB instead of an Ebony SW45 and am happy I did, ALOT cheaper, and very professional still. Perhaps it is due to the color of the wood, but I find the Shen-Hao more beautiful than the Ebony. + Excellent craftmanship.

Regards
Anders

Yanick Dery

• http://www.yanickdery.com
Film MF
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 05:09:28 pm »

Hey there,

Try to rent an RZ from Mamiya. This is an excellent camera and you can fix a digital back eventually.

http://www.mamiya.com/rz67-pro-iid.html

Yanick
http://www.yanickdery.com

Professional

Film MF
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 04:19:53 am »

Quote from: Yanick Dery
Try to rent an RZ from Mamiya. This is an excellent camera and you can fix a digital back eventually.

http://www.mamiya.com/rz67-pro-iid.html

Yanick
http://www.yanickdery.com

Thank you very much!

I looked at this camera long time ago and still can't decide on it, but in all cases i am not looking to use any digital back because i have Hasselblad H3DII which is so great and enough, so i was looking only to get a film MF to use film only, and no doubt that Mamiya MF cameras are great to use.

billthecat

Film MF
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 04:44:56 am »

If you won't do digital you can get a cheaper RZ. You can buy everything you need from keh.com

I'd look into getting a better focus screen as the standard one was a lot of frustration for me.

Bill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up