Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 - black dmax lower than Z3100 ????  (Read 2364 times)

bmclau

Z3200 - black dmax lower than Z3100 ????
« on: February 15, 2009, 05:38:27 pm »

Hi there,

I've been printing with a Z3100 for some time until I upgraded to the Z3200.
I produced some prints on Lumijet Photo White paper (fine art paper 270gm) 6 months ago on the Z3100. I've reprinted them on the Z3200 (paper has been profiled) and the pure black (value RGB is 0) is less dense.
The strange thing is that the linearization chart (first step on profiling) produces at least 4 steps of black which are denser than the printed image.
I've tried re-profiling, checking soft-proof and print preferences, using fine art more ink preset, using 120% total ink limit, using lumijet's (hanhemulhe) own profiles....
nothing solves the problem!

Can you help me. Do you have the same issue?

Thank you

Cláudio

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:44:58 am »

Quote from: bmclau
Hi there,

I've been printing with a Z3100 for some time until I upgraded to the Z3200.
I produced some prints on Lumijet Photo White paper (fine art paper 270gm) 6 months ago on the Z3100. I've reprinted them on the Z3200 (paper has been profiled) and the pure black (value RGB is 0) is less dense.
The strange thing is that the linearization chart (first step on profiling) produces at least 4 steps of black which are denser than the printed image.
I've tried re-profiling, checking soft-proof and print preferences, using fine art more ink preset, using 120% total ink limit, using lumijet's (hanhemulhe) own profiles....
nothing solves the problem!

Can you help me. Do you have the same issue?

Thank you

Cláudio

Claudio,

More questions than answers but it might help.

Make sure that no double profiling happens (driver + application).
Have you tried relative colormetric + black point compensation and without BPC ?
And compared that to perceptual with and without ?
Print greyscale step targets like the ones from QTR instead of an actual image.
With the default 100% inklimit is the 100% K sample on the calibration target delivering the highest density or is the next one higher ?  In that case you ink limit should be set lower, sometimes more ink doesn't deliver a better black.
The media preset you use is the best for that paper ?

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

bmclau

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:23:30 am »

Ernst,

I've double checked the printing conditions: there is no double profiling; I've tried RLC and Perceptual with and without BPC; I've tried printer manages color; the first profile created was using 100% TIL; I've tried placing a black rectangle on the image ( RGB 0 and K 100) but the black is still lower dmax than the print produced on the z3100 on the same paper.
The strange thing is that the first linearization chart (the one with hexagon patches) produces far darker blacks. After profiling the black is equivalent to 4 patches lighter than the max.

I'm going to try a preset that uses PhotoBlack instead of Matte black. See what the difference is.

Thank you for your help

Cláudio

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Claudio,

More questions than answers but it might help.

Make sure that no double profiling happens (driver + application).
Have you tried relative colormetric + black point compensation and without BPC ?
And compared that to perceptual with and without ?
Print greyscale step targets like the ones from QTR instead of an actual image.
With the default 100% inklimit is the 100% K sample on the calibration target delivering the highest density or is the next one higher ?  In that case you ink limit should be set lower, sometimes more ink doesn't deliver a better black.
The media preset you use is the best for that paper ?

Ernst Dinkla

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:51:00 am »

Quote from: bmclau
I'm going to try a preset that uses PhotoBlack instead of Matte black. See what the difference is.

Thank you for your help

Cláudio

Cláudio,

This is a paper that needs MK. Fine Art>250 grams according to Hahnemühle.
Is there no media preset in the Z3200 equal to the one you used on the Z3100 ? Or are you using one of Hahnemühle's versions (with and without their ICC profile) ?  Their support for the Z3100 is different to that for the Z3200 as I understand it.  The paper you use is from the same batch you used for the Z3100 ?  If i recall it correctly this is a paper that is made on the Lana foudrinier after Hahnemühle bought their mill. Wonder what the quality fluctuations have been in the first year of production. Not meant to be negative on the HM products but sometimes the problem is located where you don't expect it.

Ernst Dinkla

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:19:14 pm »

If what you are thinking is true, it should be true on all papers. Have you tried to duplicate the scenario on any other papers? If you can't, it means it's probably the paper, not the printer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up