Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 ink change  (Read 14176 times)

eudemian

Epson 7900 ink change
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:51:21 am »

I had to replace two ink cartridges on my 7900, a fairly easy process I would have imagined.
Unfortunately I got the Ink cartridge error message "Replace cartridge" after I had replaced both cartridges. Very helpfulI thought as I had just done that. I noticed that one of the cartridges was not showing on the panel so I reinserted several times but no luck.

Being inventive I thought a power down would solve the problem, no chance. So not to be beaten by the behemoth I thought I would just insert one cartridge and leave the other one out. This time the ink level was shown on the cartridge that previously had not been recognised,  but now of course it showed the "No cartridge install ink cartridge" message. Being obedient is one of my better traits so I duly complied. All this did was to take me back to the replace cartridge error  message because the other cartridge now did not show on the front panel even though the latest inserted one showed as full.

I could have given up at this point but I decided to on a new stategy. I took both new cartridges out, replace just the one that was not showing on the menu and it was then duly recognised as full. I then switched the printer off and on and  was told there was a missing cartridge (doh!) this time when I inserted the missing cartridge I was rewarded with a normal starting process and the printer now is working fine.

Figure that out, strange behaviour. I think the conclusion is not to trust your printer panel too much and be inventive in your approach to what it is telling you.

Tom

pindman

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:32:22 am »

I'd definitely be interested in hearing what Epson tech support says about this.  I'm glad you were able to solve the problem, but Epson needs to figure out how to keep it from happening again.  Please call them and us know what they say.

Paul

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:25:59 am »

I have a post inquiring about the same problem. I tried your fix and did not work for me. I am printing with the Matt Black ink and my photo black is out. If I try to select the switch between MK and PK it says their is not enough ink to do the switch(With empty cart.) I put the new one in it starts to whirl and then shows empty with the new cart in. I tried your suggestion and replaced the magenta and photo black going though your process the new black showed full until it prompted me to fill the empty slot with the missing magenta. After installing the magenta the black slider showed me an empty pk black. Any other suggestions?
Dan Berg

JimGoshorn

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:06:50 pm »

Dan,

You really should call Epson on this. I had a LK cartridge that wasn't recognized and called support. They overnighted a replacement, asked me to call back if it didn't work and also asked me to send them the defective cartridge so they could analyze the chip to see why it wasn't recognized. The more problems people report, the faster Epson can take care of any potential issues with the printer.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 12:07:22 pm by JimGoshorn »

dgberg

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:46:09 pm »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
Dan,

You really should call Epson on this. I had a LK cartridge that wasn't recognized and called support. They overnighted a replacement, asked me to call back if it didn't work and also asked me to send them the defective cartridge so they could analyze the chip to see why it wasn't recognized. The more problems people report, the faster Epson can take care of any potential issues with the printer.

Jim

My plan exactly,Jim. Just waiting till they open tomorrow. Problem is I have been shut down since Friday.
Dan

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:47:33 pm »

I've heard this can be caused by a small air bubble.  I had this happen with a new cartridge a couple of months ago and a few very gentle taps against the counter (took two tries) brought it life.

deanw

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:47 am »

I too have had this problem. Our light black cartridge was the first to run out of ink, and when I replaced it I got the "ink cartridge error" message. I tried replacing one of the other inks that wasn't empty yet and got the same massage, so I went back to the original cartridges, pulled out the light black which was empty, turned the machine off and back on, and when the machine came back on it told me there was a missing cartridge which I then replaced and everything worked fine. Not the best way to deal with what should have been a simple ink switch, but it worked. By the way, I called Epson and they were no help at all. I don't think that they are aware of this problem which seems to effect a lot of machines.

dgberg

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 12:33:40 pm »

Epson is very aware . It is also why most of the inkcarts especially 700ml are in short supply. From what I hear the air bubbles are the issue and Epson is working on the problem.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:34:12 pm by Dan Berg »

Randy Carone

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 01:03:03 pm »

Wayne's got it right. In some cases a sharp rap on the countertop corrects the problem. If that doesn't work a rap on the counter on the chip can also remedy the issue. Epson is working on corrective action.
Randy Carone

Farmer

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 08:42:05 pm »

You can also try leaving the cartridge sitting (same orientation as if it were installed) overnight - this has a reasonable chance of recovering the cartridge.

From what we've seen here, this problem is diminishing.
Phil Brown

mikev1

Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:02:09 am »

Quote from: Farmer
You can also try leaving the cartridge sitting (same orientation as if it were installed) overnight - this has a reasonable chance of recovering the cartridge.

From what we've seen here, this problem is diminishing.

I just had my first experience with this issue.  I tried leaving the cart out, banging it etc but to no avail.  Epson was great.  They are sending me a new cartridge.

It might take a couple of days to get up to Canada so in the meantime I need to go get another one as I am really behind on my orders now.  Funny it was a quiet week right up until this happened.  Go figure.

MiltReeder

• Reeder Images
Re: Epson 7900 ink change
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:51:18 pm »

I've heard this can be caused by a small air bubble.  I had this happen with a new cartridge a couple of months ago and a few very gentle taps against the counter (took two tries) brought it life.

That just happened to me with a light black cartridge.  I tried (1) updating firmware, (2) taking cartridge out, turning off machine, turning on, putting new cartridge back in, and (3) replacing with the old cartridge, rebooting, then adding the new one.

No luck.

But taking it out, tapping in on hard surface (granite in my case) fixed the issue.

Milt

davidh202

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:42:45 pm »

I did a switch from Mk to PK a few days ago so I could finally try out the Ex Fiber I had purchased and make sure I would not have problems with the PK ink that has not been used yet.I kept my fingers crossed.
The printer told me it needed to do a head clean after the switch and that my light black was too low to do it but I could reinsert the old cart afterward to get the last out of it.I took a deep breath ,followed procedures indicated to commence the cleaning, the printer automatically completed the 16 x 20 B&W print I had in the queue, and I then reinserted the old cart afterward and all went well.

This was my first Blk ink switch, and needless to say I breathed a deep sigh of relief!

I just hope the I have no problem with the full Light Black cart I removed, when I reinsert it.
I will remember to give it a couple of love taps before putting it back in ,thanks for the tips guys!! ;-)

BTW: EX Fiber is beautiful, glad I purchased the 3 for the price of two rolls deal  when I did !!

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 12:57:58 am »

Just did an exhibit of about 40 prints including 3-23x33 prints using my 9900 and Epson Exhibition Fiber. Opened last night in San Francico to a packed crowd that included silver printers. All agreed that the EEF looked every bit as well as silver prints. With spotlights on all the prints, they looked so rich and snappy!

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 04:03:06 am »

The 11880 carts have something which probably is used on the 9900 carts too. Looks like a damper but isn't a damper. On its way out from the cart pouche to the cart seal there's small elctronic detector that measures the electric conduction of the ink or measures the ink flow. Connected to the chip and by that to the printer. Not in the main stream of the ink but a small bypass. Why it is there is something I do not know but it might declare the cart to be empty or make refilling with another ink more difficult if that detector is critical enough on ink properties. If there's air trapped at that spot in a new cart it probably causes the problems reported. Tapping the cart could shift the air bell to another spot, too much air and that will not work. Pulling out a tiny bit of ink + air with a syringe may then be the solution.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Unique Images

• http://www.uniqueimages.com.au
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 08:12:02 am »

I am experiencing the same issues with 700ml cartridges only, seems to be very frequent and a new issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up