Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo heads  (Read 4870 times)

shaun

Gitzo heads
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:24:05 am »

My old off centre gitzo ball head isn't up to the job with a hasselblad and 50-110. I'm based in Ireland so seeing the RRS heads isn't an option. I was considering a GH2780QR or GH3780QR but again it will be 4 weeks before my local store gets these in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Shaun

Professional

Gitzo heads
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:30 pm »

Quote from: shaun
My old off centre gitzo ball head isn't up to the job with a hasselblad and 50-110. I'm based in Ireland so seeing the RRS heads isn't an option. I was considering a GH2780QR or GH3780QR but again it will be 4 weeks before my local store gets these in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Shaun

Hi there,

I am new here, and still i didn't use hasselblad on a tripod yet, but i tested one hasselblad in the store which was attached to a Manfrotto tripod and head, so i will order RRS plate soon to use it on my Gitzo tripod and RRS ballhead for my Hasselblad.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Gitzo heads
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:54 pm »

Shaun

Shaun,

The new Gitzo heads are very nice.  They lock up a lot more solidly than the older ones, and weigh about half as much at the same size.  I use the 1 series on my 1 series CF pod for travel, and even that combination holds my Mamiya and 150 lens adequately.  So depending on which H lenses you are putting on your body, I think the 2 series would be adequate, and the 3 probably a rock even with the big zoom.

One added feature on these new Gitzo heads: they pivot with differential friction. Meaning if you loosen the head partially, the up/down tilts require less force than the side/side.  This makes leveling a larger camera significantly easier, as you can first set side/side to level, then adjust up down tilt without losing the side/side setting.  Pretty sweet

Cheers,
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:08:14 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Richard Morwood

Gitzo heads
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »

Shaun

Hi Shaun
I am using the RRS BH55 with H3D and whatever lens I need (including 50-110 and 210 and 300). The latter is easy because it has its own collar but the zoom/macro/210 (even with extension ring or converter) all work fine. I bought the BH55 and BH40 without trying them but have been delighted with them and all the plates required.
The only problem is the cost especially with the added p&p/duty/VAT which is always unavoidable. I previously had the B1G from Arcs Swiss and the BH55, for me, is significantly better. An excellent purchase, albeit an expensive one.
Don't know where you are but I live near Belfast and if you want to see the above in 'action' email me.
Regards
Richard

erick.boileau

• http://
Gitzo heads
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:47:18 pm »

RRS BH-55 too

Professional

Gitzo heads
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:32:00 pm »

Forgot to say that i use RRS BH-55 too, great ballhead i ever had.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Gitzo heads
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:09:33 am »

Shaun

Gitzo make great legs but I've never been keen on their heads. I have an Acratech but currently upgrading to a BH-55. The BH-55 seems to be the standard these days.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Gitzo heads
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 02:19:52 am »

I have been using an ArcaSwiss Z1 for a few weeks now on my stable Gitzo tripod (GT5531s), and I would advise anyone looking at a new heavy duty ball head to consider this option also. I see less sag compared to my RRS heads (next to no sag at all in fact) and had less performance degradation when shooting at around -10C.

Cheers,
Bernard

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Gitzo heads
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »

Shaun

I'm based in Scotland and received a new RRS ballhead about six weeks faster than receiving a spare part for my last gitzo head. I can't praise the RRS stuff enough, I've got the BH40 head on gitzo legs and use it for Nikon and Blad 500 with absolute ease. I have also got one of their pano setups which more than adequately supports my Blad with old 40mm and dig back (that's really heavy). When my Gitzo off centre ballhead bust, it took ages to firstly get a reply from Gitzo, then they wouldn't honour the spare under warranty (the head was less than 18 months old) Fortunately Robert White came to the rescue but it still took six weeks to get the part, not great. I can't comment on the new Gitzo stuff but I can say it was real easy and quick to get new stuff sent from RRS, and I received real good support by email leading up to my purchase.

shaun

Gitzo heads
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:24:14 am »

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the feedback, any thoughts on a right angle adaptor for vertical shooting. It's for a Gitzo 3541L which I have ordered. Would I feel safe walking away from a hasselblad and 50-110 lens in vertical mode or could it topple over in moderate wind.

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up