Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stretch: Antarctic video  (Read 3680 times)

John Camp

Stretch: Antarctic video
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:38:09 pm »

Chris -- would the system have worked better (assuming that you hadn't had the camera failure) if you'd been able to use some kind of lightweight gunstock that would allow you to brace the camera while still looking at the LCD?

JC

Pete Ferling

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:56:07 am »

Very informative Chris, and sorry your camera failed so early (maybe it was a blessing by not have to lug it around for video?). I would consider that a design issue, as I have taken my 40D into rain and snow, and back inside a warm SUV without fault, (and I do have the extended battery grip -the older model known for lack of water proofness).

The deal killer for serious video work is getting good focus on small screens.  Even with my XH-G1 I hang a 7" marshal HD monitor off a nooga arm, and via component.  It's the only way to tell critical focus as the swingout LCDs on these HD camers are simply to small.  The other issue is angle, I assume you found it a challenge having to look off center from the LCD screen when reaching over, or shooting from the knee?  A definite upgrade would be a swing out LCD like my old powershot G5 has.

I'm glad you had the opportunity and willingness to test and use the camera in such a manner.  I think video on a still camera is good thing, I can think of some shots I would have like to track with video.  Such as approaching a blue heron through the reeds before switching to stills.  I got within ten feet of the bird before it noticed me, turned and flew away, with me snapping 6fps as it took flight.  The video would have lended credibility and interest to others as I shared my experience of that moment.  Definitely could have managed that with the current feature.

Very informative article.  So now I assume you're back to working on the next LL series?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:46:02 am »

Quote from: John Camp
Chris -- would the system have worked better (assuming that you hadn't had the camera failure) if you'd been able to use some kind of lightweight gunstock that would allow you to brace the camera while still looking at the LCD?

Yes, that is the BushHawk idea that I gave a link to. There is too much of the 'gun' look for urban video but out in the bush & wilds it would work fine for video but I suspect that I would have found it too much of an encumbrance for stills -  I'm guessing only. I think for urban stiff the FigRig would have worked well.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:53:43 am »

Quote from: Pete Ferling
It's the only way to tell critical focus as the swingout LCDs on these HD cameras are simply to small.  The other issue is angle, I assume you found it a challenge having to look off center from the LCD screen when reaching over, or shooting from the knee?  A definite upgrade would be a swing out LCD like my old powershot G5 has.
I actually found the rear LCD screen just fine and the ability to zoom the Live View in up to 10x gave me all the focus control I needed. But different strokes... I rarely use the swingout LCD on video cameras preferring the 'real' viewfinder. The critical manual focusing ability of the 5Dii is actually better than most video cameras. I use the 'magnify' feature of the Sony EX1 all the time but it still only gives me about 2.5 x - so the 10x of the Canon is superior in this respect.
BTW I am indeed working on LLVJ-18 which will feature an extended look at the most southerly portion of our '09 Antarctic trip (shot with the Sony SR12)

Pete Ferling

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:16:33 pm »

Yep, I was used to the XL1s viewfinder as well, including the shoulder mounting.  Switching to an XH-G1 put the viewfinder directly in the back of the unit and I had to hold the thing out.  However, I wanted the HDSDI output and could not justify the forward heavy XHL1.  So I bought a three-point shoulder rig, and if I was going to use an LCD, only a big one would do.   I actually liked using the LCD as I can now rely on perf vision to

Still, the fact of having professional quality video on a still camera is enticing.  Only issue is where will they put the XLR input?  

I'm also very interested in the results of your new SR-12 for LLV18, as my HC1 is showing it's age.  I'm skittish about putting complete faith in Hard drive over tape.  Maybe you could shed some light on that camera... when your edit is done and the time line is rendering of course

douglasf13

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:45:37 pm »

Quote from: Pete Ferling
Yep, I was used to the XL1s viewfinder as well, including the shoulder mounting.  Switching to an XH-G1 put the viewfinder directly in the back of the unit and I had to hold the thing out.  However, I wanted the HDSDI output and could not justify the forward heavy XHL1.  So I bought a three-point shoulder rig, and if I was going to use an LCD, only a big one would do.   I actually liked using the LCD as I can now rely on perf vision to

Still, the fact of having professional quality video on a still camera is enticing.  Only issue is where will they put the XLR input?  

I'm also very interested in the results of your new SR-12 for LLV18, as my HC1 is showing it's age.  I'm skittish about putting complete faith in Hard drive over tape.  Maybe you could shed some light on that camera... when your edit is done and the time line is rendering of course

Sorry about the off-topic, but we have the same last name, Pete.  I don't run across Ferlings very often.  

Pete Ferling

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:18:40 pm »

Quote from: douglasf13
Sorry about the off-topic, but we have the same last name, Pete.  I don't run across Ferlings very often.  

I just sent you a PM.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:19:50 pm »

Speaking as someone who has run quite a few hundred foot loads of ECO through an Arri-S myself,  I have to say Chris that I'm pleased and not surprised.

I'm not surprised that the Canon was difficult to use as a motion media recorder.  The form factor seems anything but Operator friendly.  For those not of the film world, I add that "Operator" is a very specific term, one referring to the business of operating the camera during the shot.  For stills people this term is more or less meaningless, since the "during" part is usually very small fractions of a second.  For Camera Operators, the "during" can be minutes long.  

For Camera Operators, the viewfinder is everything.  You need to track, compose and focus in real time for a long time. DSLRs just can't cut it.  The small, fixed viewfinders (both optical and electronic) of any DSLR pale next to the bright, clear, articulated, prehensile viewfinders on modern film and video cameras.  Holding the camera at arms length to view and compose is easy for digicams and single shots.  For heavy DSLRs, it's not gonna fly.  Even with IS, your arms just aren't steady enough for long enough.

I'm pleased, though, with your comment that the system is intolerant of operator error.  With that intolerance goes precision and capability. When the hardware outstrips the operator's skills, that's a good thing.  The quality and flexibility of the interchangeable lenses and the resulting imagery is evident even on the low-res Quicktime videos you posted.  That bodes well for us all in the near future.

For now, it looks like the Canon would be a superb tripod-mounted camera for landscape video, especially time-lapse.

Was the sound we heard on the Quicktimes recorded with the camera mic?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 10:28:21 pm »

Quote from: Peter McLennan
Was the sound we heard on the Quicktimes recorded with the camera mic?

The sound recorded was through a Sennheiser MKE400 mounted on the 5Dii hot shoe. Not a mic I would recommend since its isolation mounting is of very flimsy build.

Chris S
Pages: [1]   Go Up