Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with seller on this forum  (Read 5928 times)

futura

• http://www.andrew-chang.com
Problem with seller on this forum
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:52:56 pm »

Hi all,

I'm really not sure where to post this as I am at my whits end with a transaction that has gone very very bad. I posted a while ago requesting a 5D or 1DSmk2 and my ad was responded by a user called geronimo13 aka Daniel  K .Johansson of www.dkj.se

Not knowing anything about the person apart from his website and the posts he has made on Luminous Landscape, I initially said I wasn't interested in doing a deal. He then posted his camera up for sale and after a day or so PMd me again asking if I was interested. In the end the agreed price of 1520 uk pounds which included paypal fees and postage. I then sent the money to him via paypal and he received the money on the 3rd Feb. Since then I have not have the camera or refund. The following reasons for the not delivering were given

1. Money was in his paypal account however he didn't want to send the camera out till it cleared his account (amount had gone out of my account on the 3rd Feb)
2. His original plan of sending via DHL (he has a friend there who can give him business to business discount) did not work out as I wanted him to send it to my private address which was the same address as the one we agreed for him to send it to.
3. We agreed on sending via UPS 3 days later however a gig came up and he would not be able to send on the arranged date.
4. After so many let downs I requested a full refund which Daniel agreed to, however he then found out that he would need to pay additional exchange rate fees.

Now he is ignoring my emails, calls and private messages from luminous landscapes (even though via tracking I know he is reading them)

I originally had a paypal dispute against our transaction which Daniel talked me out of because he had another transaction coming into his account. He basically wrote on one of the resolution manager messages that he would send the camera out to me on the agreed date. So being an idiot, I trusted the guy and closed the dispute. Funny enough a few days later another board member from LL messaged me to ask if I had any problems with Daniel has he had purchased a digital back from him (it now made sense why he didn't want his account frozen).

So I'm writing this as a warning to anyone thinking of dealing with his guy to be careful and in my case I will be contacting the police with his details. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get my money back, please let me know.

Daniel / geronimo13 if you are reading this, I welcome a response.

filmcapture

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:55:53 pm »

I am not sure if I might be another victim of "geronimo13" aka Daniel K .Johansson of www.dkj.se. I purchased the Phase One P25 digital back from him early this month, and after he received my PayPal payment, he complained the currency exchange rate was too bad. So he asked me to compensate half of his loss, and I agreed. After that, his shipping had been very slow, and I had tried to call him many times, but he did not even pick up my calls. Hence, I had to initiate a PayPal dispute and talked to my credit card company for protections. Today, six days after he received my payment, he sent me an email and said DHL had picked up the package. I am not sure if it's true or not. I'll keep you posted of the progress.

filmcapture

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:19:46 am »

Again, I would suggest you contact PayPal and your credit card company so they could start the investigation if you believe this is a fraud. As for we who live in the US, we can also file a complaint with FBI IC3 Center (www.ic3.gov) as long as one or two parties are located within the States. It's said FBI does review each case and send it to proper agent, including international law enforcement or regulatory agency.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:44:18 am »

If you have recourse through payment companies contact them first. You can contact the police or sheriff’s office in the town in which the seller lives and describe what has taken place. You can also sue either in small claims court or hire an attorney. You can also contact news papers, news and/or radio stations in the seller’s town. They often will work as an advocate. If you know the seller’s address, you can look up his neighbors on the web and contact them. You may, as suggested above, contact the FBI. Defrauding people in interstate sales is a federal crime.

It may cost you something to get results, but it will cost the seller far more, including, guaranteed attorney fees, possibly jail time especially if he shows a broader pattern of defrauding people.

Before doing any of that, I would send a link of this thread to the seller along with a demand letter.

futura

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:21 am »

Update -

Daniel has been in contact. Unfortunately, he is unable to send me the camera however he has informed me I will be getting a refund. I've not received a full refund yet as he is having problems with paypal but fingers crossed it is sometime soon. Given the speediness of paypal it should take all of 2 min to arrange a refund once his PP account status is sorted.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:05:54 am by futura »

yongfei

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:11:37 pm »

I read his postings and I can see two persons: one who seems to have a lot of gears, and one who doesn't and asks some basic questions.

Last time when he put up the Phase P25 digital back for sale, he sent me an perfect looking picture that has P45+ and P25 side by side, taken by a Phase H25 dated 2006. He claimed that he now has the P45+, thus the reason to sell the P25. But his recent 5D vs P25 posting makes me feel uneasy to continue with the deal.  (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31445 "How will the 5d compare to the p25 in studio? Is the p25 good at iso 100? what about iso 200 and 400?")

I will be interested to know the result. Please keep us posted on the progress.

futura

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:24:18 am »

Quote from: yongfei
I read his postings and I can see two persons: one who seems to have a lot of gears, and one who doesn't and asks some basic questions.

Last time when he put up the Phase P25 digital back for sale, he sent me an perfect looking picture that has P45+ and P25 side by side, taken by a Phase H25 dated 2006. He claimed that he now has the P45+, thus the reason to sell the P25. But his recent 5D vs P25 posting makes me feel uneasy to continue with the deal.  (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31445 "How will the 5d compare to the p25 in studio? Is the p25 good at iso 100? what about iso 200 and 400?")

I will be interested to know the result. Please keep us posted on the progress.

I posted an update here as this is where Daniel was responded with refund post.

futura

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:16 pm »

Quote from: futura
I posted an update here as this is where Daniel was responded with refund post.

Ok Daniel has offered to give me a refund but not a full refund as he does not want to include the fees he incurred whilst transferring money form his paypal account to his own personal account. What I really don't get is why he won't give me a full refund as paypal policy states that

How is my fee refund calculated?

If you issue a full refund, PayPal will refund all the fees.

If you issue a partial payment refund, the fee refund will be calculated at the same percentage as the payment refund. For example:

1. Your customer buys £100.00 GBP of merchandise from you. The fees for this transaction total £3.25 GBP (£2.90 GBP of this is variable, £0.35 GBP is the fixed transaction fee, which is not refunded for partial payment refunds).

2. You issue a partial refund on the transaction for £40.00 GBP (40% of the original amount).

3. PayPal issues a refund of 40% of the total fees, which in this case would be £1.16 GBP (40% of the variable portion of the fee).

And in case you thought I was making it up

So basically he is making 60 pounds profit out of this!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:57:10 pm by futura »

geronimo13

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:25:49 pm »

Quote from: futura
Ok Daniel has offered to give me a refund but not a full refund as he does not want to include the fees he incurred whilst transferring money form his paypal account to his own personal account. What I really don't get is why he won't give me a full refund as paypal policy states that

How is my fee refund calculated?

If you issue a full refund, PayPal will refund all the fees.

If you issue a partial payment refund, the fee refund will be calculated at the same percentage as the payment refund. For example:

1. Your customer buys £100.00 GBP of merchandise from you. The fees for this transaction total £3.25 GBP (£2.90 GBP of this is variable, £0.35 GBP is the fixed transaction fee, which is not refunded for partial payment refunds).

2. You issue a partial refund on the transaction for £40.00 GBP (40% of the original amount).

3. PayPal issues a refund of 40% of the total fees, which in this case would be £1.16 GBP (40% of the variable portion of the fee).

And in case you thought I was making it up

So basically he is making 60 pounds profit out of this!!!!!

Lol no i'm not!

When i refund the amount, paypal will add the fee. I will not recieve the fee in my account. Geez....

futura

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:36:29 pm »

Quote from: geronimo13
Lol no i'm not!

When i refund the amount, paypal will add the fee. I will not recieve the fee in my account. Geez....

Ok I've emailed this reply already but here it is again. To pay you money - I did not get charged by paypal... no fees or anything. However you had to pay a fee to transfer the money to your account. Why would paypal give me a refund of a fee they never took from me. If you have any doubts, drop them an email, you will get a response in a day or so then at least you will know where the fees get refunded to. If paypal say I get the fee refunded, ok by all means deduct the fee from the refunded amount. However, if it is you who gets the refund, why shouldn't I get a full refund?

futura

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:23:04 pm »

Daniel - I really thought you might have posted a response considering you had a lot of say for yourself about the transaction.

Let me take this opportunity to summerise your last few 'offline' emails to me.

- You refuse to contact paypal to ask for clarity as to whether you or I receive the paypal fees.

- When I asked what you would do (hopefully compensate me) if you were to refund me my total amount minus the fee and you were indeed recipient of the refunded paypal fee. NO RESPONSE.

- You have said that you will not be sending or answering anymore emails to/from me.

Please respond back if any of the points I made above are untrue. You owe it to yourself and reputation. I presume you will still be wheeling and dealing on these forums in future.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:27:59 pm by futura »

futura

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:17:38 am »

Quote from: geronimo13
Lol no i'm not!

Oh and one last thing - I sent Daniel a link yesterday that I thought explained refunds a little better

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_ren...o_admin_refunds

Refunding Payments for Individual Transactions

You can refund the entire amount of a transaction or portions of it. When you issue a refund, the gross amount of the refund is sent to the buyer.

The gross amount equals the net amount of the original transaction plus the refunded fee from PayPal.

Gross Amount = Net Amount + Refund Fee

If you issue a refund within 60 days, PayPal credits the original transaction fee for receiving the payment to your account. For partial refunds, PayPal credits a percentage of the original transaction fee based on the refunded amount. When you issue a refund after 60 days, your original transaction fee for receiving the payment is not credited to your account.

But Daniel being Daniel won't  confirm with paypal or even consider that he maybe in the wrong.

michael

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:16 am »

OK guys, fascinating as this is, it's time to move it offline.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up