Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arizona: Need Saguaro Cactus Locations  (Read 12297 times)

timescapes

Arizona: Need Saguaro Cactus Locations
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:06:12 pm »

Howdy all,

I'm looking to find some epic saguaro cactus locations in southern AZ, where I can car camp (dispersed camping) with my timelapse photography gear, to shoot sunset and night timelapse shots of really handsome, towering saguaro cactus.  I'm hoping to find somewhere between Yuma and Tuscon, where it's relatively warm right now (Feb).  It would be nice if the location was somewhat near a small town or gas station, so I can keep stocked up on ice, beer, etc.    

Thanks.  Much appreciated!

tom

OwlsEye

• http://www.btleventhal.com
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:35:16 pm »

Quote from: timescapes
Howdy all,

I'm looking to find some epic saguaro cactus locations in southern AZ, where I can car camp (dispersed camping) with my timelapse photography gear, to shoot sunset and night timelapse shots of really handsome, towering saguaro cactus.  I'm hoping to find somewhere between Yuma and Tuscon, where it's relatively warm right now (Feb).  It would be nice if the location was somewhat near a small town or gas station, so I can keep stocked up on ice, beer, etc.    

tom

Saguaro National Park is beautiful w/ great access to great cacti.
cheers,
bruce
regards, bruce
[url=http://www.btleventh

timescapes

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:09:12 pm »

Quote from: OwlsEye
Saguaro National Park is beautiful w/ great access to great cacti.
cheers,
bruce

I need overnight camping directly out of my SUV.  I called Saguaro National Park and they told me car camping is not allowed there.

B-Ark

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:24:48 am »

I need overnight camping directly out of my SUV.  I called Saguaro National Park and they told me car camping is not allowed there.

Organ Pipe National Monument has one 'primitive' campground where you can camp by your vehicle. Last time I was there, you could only reserve it 24 hrs in advance.

You can also camp along the western loop road (I forget the name) - but I think they want tents set up at least a few hundred yards from the road.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:13:09 pm »

Howdy all,

tom

Tom there is new part of the Seguaro Nat'l Park that is directly east of the normal visitor center.  It dirt roads and no one goes there.  I can't tell you how to get there but the locals there can tell you.  Also there is a magnificent stand west of Wickenburg on the highway that heads towards the California border.  You might be able to spend the night just outside the Tuscan Studios they have a great stand there.   Do not go down by Organpipe they have had alot of issue with Illegals there.  Tim 9517411674

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 03:10:58 pm »

AZ Route 77 to San Manuel (Rt 76) all the way to the end or actually where it turns into a dirt road.  Slow down and turn right and you go onto BLM land (Bureau of Land Management).  How far down you decide to drive on this dirt road will depend on if you have a high clearance vehicle, I can normally make it several miles in an all wheel drive Ford Edge.  There are abundant supply of Saguaros and you’ll be able to camp right there.  

Rt 76 goes through San Manuel and in about 4-5 miles makes a gentle left turn before turning into dirt.  It’s at this turn that you’ll want to turn right onto the road described above.  I’ve always felt that there were just as many Saguaros here as in both Saguaro Parks in Tucson, plus you have the added benefit of being on BLM land.

Another area is in and around Roosevelt Lake and the Lower Tonto Cliff Dwelling.  There’s plenty of safe camping in this area.

Additional information on Organ Pipe and this is according to a Park Ranger (law-enforcement).  Organ Pipe is the most dangerous National Park in the US.  The Rangers, ICE, and Indian Police are in constant running gun battles not with the illegals who are crossing but with the drug runners; “constant” meaning weekly occurrence.   There is a camp site near the visitors center that has been safe in the past however I wouldn’t trust the area for dispersed camping.

Arizona is the only place where you’ll find the Saguaro and more specifically in the Sonoran Desert.  Temperatures are getting mild here during the day however be prepared for very cold nights.

Good luck and be safe.

don

timescapes

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:08:59 pm »

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys.  Please keep them coming.

I spent one night at Organ Pipe, but then I went north to Ajo, AZ.  Just south of the town is a Darby Wells Road, which has lots of dispersed camping areas and very scenic landscapes.  Here are two shots:

Last night I got a permit to shoot at Crater Range in the former Air Force bombing range just north of Ajo... also a beautiful landscape.

Regarding illegals, I have to say, there are legions of Border Patrol troops in that area.  Every third car was Border Patrol or police.

B-Ark

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:05:28 am »

Nice to hear that your trip turned out well.
I like the night shot
Pages: [1]   Go Up