Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critque comments  (Read 1991 times)

Chris_T

Critque comments
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:46:32 pm »

Among the hundreds of entries in my guest book collected at different exhibits over time, only a very few stand out and teach me something about my work. As an example, there is a landscape image that attracted lots of attention.

After a seasoned pro stared at it for a long time, I asked him to make an entry. Here's what he wrote, "The xyz image is exquisite." Like the majority of the entries, it was nice, but didn't tell me WHY he considered it "exquisite".

Next came a couple and their 8-year old. Rayna immediately pointed at that photo and whispered something to her parents. After a little chit chat, the parents bought the print. Before they left, I asked Rayna to sign my guest book, and explain why she pointed at the photo. Here's her entry, "Is the top clouds or trees? It is so confusing!". Ah, I got it. Although it was crystal clear to me, and I did not mean to confuse, many viewers' interest perhaps was due to the intrique. For her fine critique, I gave Rayna a print of the same location that is much less confusing.

From then on, whenever anyone commented on my work, good or bad, I would ask them to explain WHY.  Providing reasons, however subjective, to support your comments will help those asking for critiques, and will also help how you approach your own work. So how about it, all you critics?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Critque comments
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 04:18:35 pm »

Right on, Chris!

Why do I say this? Because you have zeroed in on a very important point: To be useful, a critique should help the artist make improvements.

On the other hand, mightn't it be of at least a little value sometimes to know when a viewer has determined that the work is as good as it can get?

-Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

dwood

Critque comments
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:52 pm »

Quote from: Chris_T
Among the hundreds of entries in my guest book collected at different exhibits over time, only a very few stand out and teach me something about my work. As an example, there is a landscape image that attracted lots of attention.

After a seasoned pro stared at it for a long time, I asked him to make an entry. Here's what he wrote, "The xyz image is exquisite." Like the majority of the entries, it was nice, but didn't tell me WHY he considered it "exquisite".

Next came a couple and their 8-year old. Rayna immediately pointed at that photo and whispered something to her parents. After a little chit chat, the parents bought the print. Before they left, I asked Rayna to sign my guest book, and explain why she pointed at the photo. Here's her entry, "Is the top clouds or trees? It is so confusing!". Ah, I got it. Although it was crystal clear to me, and I did not mean to confuse, many viewers' interest perhaps was due to the intrique. For her fine critique, I gave Rayna a print of the same location that is much less confusing.

From then on, whenever anyone commented on my work, good or bad, I would ask them to explain WHY.  Providing reasons, however subjective, to support your comments will help those asking for critiques, and will also help how you approach your own work. So how about it, all you critics?

The lesson to be learned here is to never, ever show your work to kids.  

dalethorn

Critque comments
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:25 am »

Last night I went to a critique of Cuyahoga Valley Photo Assoc's members' images at their club. The people invited to do the critique were outside experts, not members of the club. They ad-libbed a lot on each photo, and offered a few tips for improving them. Generally, the suggestions were valid, but most of the ad-lib was excessive, I thought. Not being an expert, I just felt that most of the commentary didn't fit with how I saw the photos. The suggestions for improvement were OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up