Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 Nozzle test  (Read 11023 times)

Agawa_Bob

Epson 3800 Nozzle test
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:50:08 am »

My Epson 3800, 1 1/2 years old, is used to print art reproductions of pencil drawings. Excellent results using ABW mode. During this period it has only needed the standard nozzle
cleaning 3-4 times to repair a missing line or two on the test pattern. Recently, after only setting a week, I had 4 colors completely missing(light black, l-light black, light cyan,
light magenta) and one small bar on the magenta. Per epson I did 6 standard nozzle cleanings and one power clean. There were no changes.

I live in Northern Ontario, 8 hrs. from the nearest service center, so an estimate for repair would not be easy. Has anyone had similar problems and were able to solve them.
Also, if the head needs replacing, what was the cost?

I'd appreciate your help or hints.

Bob

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Epson 3800 Nozzle test
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 05:06:43 pm »

I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like an issue with the pump.  Just no ink getting to the head at all.

Agawa_Bob

Epson 3800 Nozzle test
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:03:20 am »

An Up-date. After much searching on the net, I found a few references to placing Windex on what I believe is the parking pad/capping area. With not many options left, this is
what I did.

1) Start printer and pulled the power plug when the print head is midway across it's travel during start-up.
2) Placed about 6-8 drops of Original Windex on the parking pad/capping area.
3) Turned printer off and watched head go to it's home position. Allowed it to set for the day.
4) Turned printer on and ran a nozzle test.
5) Results: Light Cyan and Light Magenta almost perfect test pattern, Light Black 90%,L-L-Black 60%, and Magenta one small test bar missing.
6) Repeat
7) All colors are 100% perfect except that one bar on the Magenta.

I am sure this is not an Epson approved solution(too simple), but the results are amazing. There may be hope.

Has anyone tried this approach and had similar success. A few thoughts.  I may substitute distilled water instead of Windex and place an old ink reservoir with water in the printer  
when not in use. Heating with wood in the winter may be clogging the nozzles, so a little humidity could help.

Your ideas and additional suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Bob

Alistair

Epson 3800 Nozzle test
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:55:42 am »

Quote from: Agawa_Bob
An Up-date. After much searching on the net, I found a few references to placing Windex on what I believe is the parking pad/capping area. With not many options left, this is
what I did.

1) Start printer and pulled the power plug when the print head is midway across it's travel during start-up.
2) Placed about 6-8 drops of Original Windex on the parking pad/capping area.
3) Turned printer off and watched head go to it's home position. Allowed it to set for the day.
4) Turned printer on and ran a nozzle test.
5) Results: Light Cyan and Light Magenta almost perfect test pattern, Light Black 90%,L-L-Black 60%, and Magenta one small test bar missing.
6) Repeat
7) All colors are 100% perfect except that one bar on the Magenta.

I am sure this is not an Epson approved solution(too simple), but the results are amazing. There may be hope.

Has anyone tried this approach and had similar success. A few thoughts.  I may substitute distilled water instead of Windex and place an old ink reservoir with water in the printer  
when not in use. Heating with wood in the winter may be clogging the nozzles, so a little humidity could help.

Bob

This is quite a well known, tried and tested solution for obstinate clogs in Epson prnters. Well done on its successful execution. The active ingredient in Windex that makes this work is Ammonia. In fact if you sniff some pigment inks you will pick up its unmistakable odour.

You can use distilled water augmented with a few drops of ammonia (readily available from hardware stores etc.). Go easy on the ammonia though, it is very harsh on delicate heads if overly concentrated. Less than 5%.

Another that works is Iso Propyl alcohol, again no more than 5 % concentration.

I keep a set of cheap ebay refillable cartridges for each of my Epson printers, filled with distilled water and a little ammonia and glycerin for whenever I do not plan to use the printer for an extended period. The glycerin is needed to provide the viscosity to maintain sufficient vacum to prevent the liquid siphoning straight through the heads. Glycerin is a harmless surfectant used in a lot of inks. It is cheap and readily available at pharmacies/chemists. If you get a really obstinate clog, this approach would clear it up after a day or two.

Just remember to only use a very light concentration of ammonia and to use good distilled water.
Alistair

AlanG

• http://www.goldsteinphoto.com
Epson 3800 Nozzle test
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:04:25 am »

Quote from: Agawa_Bob

Bob

I have an Epson 7600.  I had a lot of clogging problems because the printer often sits unused for a while.  I periodically put Windex on the pad and haven't had a clog since.
Alan Goldstein
[url=http://www.Goldstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up