Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P30, H3DII31  (Read 2895 times)

DaveRobertson

P30, H3DII31
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »

Hi, why are these cameras/backs described as fashion photography specific?  Why are they apparently less suitable for pictorial or product work?  As someone who's looking to move from the H25 which I've been using for all types of situations (except fashion which I don't shoot) are they an option?  My local dealer only has the H3DII39 available for demoing or I'd have tried one out.

Many thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:45:13 pm by DaveRobertson »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
P30, H3DII31
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »

The p30 and hd31 have micro lenses which are not suited for use with a view camera.

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
P30, H3DII31
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:47:02 pm »

Supposedly these back are more resistant to moire, and this is important to fashion shooters. I have a P30+ and rarely see moire.

DaveRobertson

P30, H3DII31
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies.  If I don't plan on using a view camera are there any other potential issues?  Reduced moire can only be a good thing.

Cheers,
Dave

yaya

P30, H3DII31
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 02:15:44 am »

Quote from: DaveRobertson
Thanks for the quick replies.  If I don't plan on using a view camera are there any other potential issues?  Reduced moire can only be a good thing.

Cheers,
Dave

go for 33, 39 or 56MP and you will have even less moire

michele

P30, H3DII31
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:12 am »

They have less moirè because they have pixel more little then your H25, so with a 39 mega or 60 megapixels you'll have less and less moirè... The P30 and the Hassy 31megapixels, are good for fashion photography because they have a smaller sensor, and it's faster to refresh from the last shot... They also have microlenses due to expand the ISO capability, so you'll have a 100-1600 iso for PhaseOne

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
P30, H3DII31
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:52:41 am »

Quote from: DaveRobertson
Hi, why are these cameras/backs described as fashion photography specific?  Why are they apparently less suitable for pictorial or product work?  As someone who's looking to move from the H25 which I've been using for all types of situations (except fashion which I don't shoot) are they an option?  My local dealer only has the H3DII39 available for demoing or I'd have tried one out.

Many thanks,
Dave

Dave,

The P30 and P30+ aren't recommended on technical cameras that have tilts and shifts.  With any lens wider than a 47mm the light can strike the microlenses at a sharp angle and not give a favorable result.  I might suggest either a P45/P45+ or a P65+.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
P30, H3DII31
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:17:43 am »

Quote from: clawery
Dave,

The P30 and P30+ aren't recommended on technical cameras that have tilts and shifts.  With any lens wider than a 47mm the light can strike the microlenses at a sharp angle and not give a favorable result.  I might suggest either a P45/P45+ or a P65+.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

I've used the contax 35mm on the p21+, p30, p30+ and seen no more issues than any other digital camera, in regards to fringing, ca, etc.  Even wide open at 3.5.

I have seen some blue fringing on strong backlight, but that's not the wide lens, as I've seen blue or purple fringing on almost every lense and every digital camera with strong backlight from time to time.  Film would even do it under certain circumstances, though I see no more fringing or ca on the micro lensed phase cameras than I did from the Aptus 22.  

I don't use a technical camera, but even with the old Boris tilt shift I never saw anything that different, other than the lens has a nice softness to it.

A lot of this just comes from the way we now shoot.  In the film days if you shot a subject against a strong backlit scene you would try very hard to match the light of the subject to the background, knowing that any loss of background detail would be difficult to replace.  The photographer also shot more carefully, because the polaroid proof didn't give enough real information to know if you were balanced correctly.

Regardless of how we balance the light, now we usually always move the background around in some ways, or even replace it all together, so consequently we now shoot with stronger backlight than we did in the film days hence more of a chance of fringing around the subject.  

Maybe the slightly tigheter crop of a p21/p30 helps with wide angles, but most people forget that up until the p65, medium format digital sensors were not really 1.1 vs 1.3 crops on a 645 frame, they were approx. 1.14 vs. 1.24, which is not that great of a difference.

[attachment=11526:formats.jpg]

Professional

P30, H3DII31
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:20:51 pm »

Hey,

I am not an expert or pro at all, just a hobbyist, and i just bought H3D for fun, and i will use this for my daughters [portraits] and any product/still life photography without worry, i never use any medium format before nor film cameras, only DSLRs, so this camera will open new world for me, but i hope i can work in dedicated fashion/commercial works so i can give this camera its fair.
Pages: [1]   Go Up