Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D30 sensor cleaning  (Read 2137 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
D30 sensor cleaning
« on: April 05, 2004, 02:48:35 pm »

The "if the sensor is energized it will attract more dust" myth is a bunch of crap. CCD/CMOS sensors run on voltages far too low to have any significant static cling.

Using bulb mode to sensor clean is really stupid. If you accidentally let go of the shutter button while the swab is touching the sensor, you just ruined your shutter and likely the mirror mechanism too. Use the sensor clean function, it eliminates that potential problem.

If you sensor clean on battery power, use a fully-charged battery so the camera doesn't shut down on you in the middle of cleaning.

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
D30 sensor cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 01:07:40 pm »

Jerry,
I clean the sensor on my Nikon D100 by holding the shutter open on B with a locking cable release. I have never had any problems with this, or close calls.

Also, I have found that it is very difficult to get every speck of dust. So I have learned to live with 3 or 4 specks rather than use up lots of swabs.
Michael Canyes
Nikon stuff www.dig-arts.

Jerry Stebbing

D30 sensor cleaning
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 03:56:31 am »

Has anyone had any experience of D30 or D60 sensor cleaning in the field without AC hook up? One of the archive articles on Luminous Landscape describes desert photography, in which the author mentions cleaning his Nikon D1 by locking the shutter on bulb rather than using the AC adapter. I know that the Canon 10D can sensor clean on battery power, but does this hold the mirror up and the shutter open without the sensor being charged?
I'm worried that using bulb on my D30 to expose the sensor may lead to dust becoming attracted to the energised CMOS. Does using the recommended dummy battery/AC adapter to expose the sensor do so without powering up the CMOS and hence avoid potential dust problems? The instruction manual tells me nothing, and Canon here in the UK don't exactly brim full of practical advice.

Any help would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Jerry Stebbing.

Jerry Stebbing

D30 sensor cleaning
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 12:15:14 pm »

Thanks Jonathan,

What I had in mind was sensor cleaning using a fully charged battery and the shutter held open at bulb by my RS 80N3 remote release in its locked position. And yes,I certainly appreciate the folly of manually pressing the camera's shutter release whilst simultaneously handling a swab.

My main reason for seeking a non AC method was that I spend most of the year ocean voyaging aboard my small sailing cruiser, and although I have 12v power, I was reluctant to have to use an inverter just to provide AC for the Canon charger/DC supply. I have a small single BP511 charger that operates from 12v, so my charging need are catered for.

I understand the 10D has battery powered sensor cleaning, and assumed the D30 might not be too dissimilar.

Many thanks for straightening out the myth of the static charge. There seems to be a lack of hard info on such things, so I appreciate your advice.

Regards,

Jerry Stebbing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up