Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you clean lens front glass?  (Read 10462 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
How do you clean lens front glass?
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:53:07 am »

I have eschewed using UV filters and it is now time to pay the piper. The front element of my lens has some residue (oil?) on it that cannot be removed with lens cleaning tissue. There might be an amalgalm of canine sneeze material, industrial zone fog and finger grease!!

What is the prefered way to clean the outside of the front element? Is there a recommended liquid? solvent? brand?

THANKS!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:55:32 am »

Depending what is on it I usually go rocket blower, light brush, lens pen.

francois

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:27:00 pm »

Same for me, in that order:  blower, brush, Lens Pen and sometimes micro-fiber cloth.
Francois

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:48:16 pm »

Whups!  I forgot the micro fiber cloth.  I've got one of those, too.  It also bats cleanup.  I prefer the lens pen because I can push crap out of the way rather than grinding it onto the front element.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »

Rocket Blower, Lens Pen if necessary. Can't say that I've ever needed more than that.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Philmar

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 01:05:00 pm »

thanks everyone....so a Lens Pen will remove slight oil coating? Now that I think about it, the front lens may have been touched by my friend's youngster.

francois

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:40:40 pm »

Quote from: Philmar
thanks everyone....so a Lens Pen will remove slight oil coating? Now that I think about it, the front lens may have been touched by my friend's youngster.
Yes, a Lens Pen would be ideal for fingerprints. Be sure to read the insrructions.
Francois

schrodingerscat

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:54:51 pm »

As a repair tech of 25 years, here's my advice.

Blow off loose particles. Use lens fluid(alcohol in a pinch) and tissues, Qtips for small optics. Final polish with breath and tissue/Qtip. No eyeglass products. Blow off any remaining loose bits.

Never rub a dry surface, at least use your breath.

Microfiber cloths should be used with breath method. They also pick up gunk, so run them through the wash frequently without fabric softener.

Lens pens work well at first, but like the cloths, they retain contaminants over time. If used on a sand/dirt encrusted surface, they effectively turn into a sanding disc. It's a good idea to clean the disc with an unused soft toothbrush periodically and just use for final polish.

It's a good idea to clean frequently rather than waiting 'till it looks ugly. Same thing with sensor cleaning. Fingerprints should be removed immediately. In dusty, sandy, conditions, at the end of the day break down your equipment and give it a good cleaning if possible. The mirrors are first-surface coated, so use a very light touch. A toothbrush also works well for cleaning the exterior of your equipment and pay close attention to all the nooks and crannies. Built up dust and dirt is a moisture magnet. Also vacuum out your bags one in awhile.

No canned air, use a rocket blower. Also avoid using air compressors, unless it's confirmed they are oilless and have a moisture scavenging system at the nozzle.

Philmar

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:18:30 pm »

Are most lens pens the same?
Or are people refering to Lenspen?
http://www.lenspen.com/

marcmccalmont

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:52:42 pm »

I asked the same question to John the owner of Focal Point a Camera lens cleaning and repair company.
His answer was if there is no oily residue use your breath and a soft lens tissue. If there is a residue use ROR first. I have found that to get it real clean I need to use my breath and a tissue for the last step and I have had success with both ROR and Eclipse for residue removal.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 02:56:07 am »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
No eyeglass products.

This is important to note because there are some eyeglass products that contain chemicals that will react with the coating on your lens and create a really thin but nicely opaque coating, turning your lens into a paperweight.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

rockrose

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:25:08 am »

In some cases the 'oily' shine is caused by a damaged coating (light interference), mostly a result of too heavy cleaning. This cannot be removed.

250swb

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 04:42:39 pm »

A bit of dust, fingerprints, dried water droplets, or even small scratches will usually make no difference to the image quality, so it isn't worth panicking about cleaning the front element until you have the right tools to hand.

For dust a Rocket blower is good. For grease and stains a Lenspen is great. A good thing about the Lenspen is that they stop working when exhausted so there is no sentimental attachment to chucking them away, unlike an old lens cloth which always lurks at the bottom of the bag, ready to re-distribute whatever it has cleaned off previously.

Steve

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 11:04:37 pm »

Hi,

I always have UV-filters on my lenses, this is a bit controversial but means that I can clean them with light heart. The normal way I would clean lenses is using clean microfiber cloth. Normally I just breath on the lens and wipe of with the microfiber cloth. Microfibers soak up liquid while cleaning tissue just smear them out. I would recommend against using alcohol, because it is said to damage some lenses. I would use "Kodak lens cleaning solution" instead, even if I don't know what it contains. Any lens cleaning solvent should be used in small quantity and with microfiber cloth.

Best regards
Erik

I have eschewed using UV filters and it is now time to pay the piper. The front element of my lens has some residue (oil?) on it that cannot be removed with lens cleaning tissue. There might be an amalgalm of canine sneeze material, industrial zone fog and finger grease!!

What is the prefered way to clean the outside of the front element? Is there a recommended liquid? solvent? brand?

THANKS!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:55:55 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 11:08:34 pm »

Hi,

I don't agree. Wide angle zooms are very sensitive to water droplets. Finger prints are bad and can actually damage lens coating. I would not care much about dust on lenses, that can wait.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: 250swb
A bit of dust, fingerprints, dried water droplets, or even small scratches will usually make no difference to the image quality, so it isn't worth panicking about cleaning the front element until you have the right tools to hand.

For dust a Rocket blower is good. For grease and stains a Lenspen is great. A good thing about the Lenspen is that they stop working when exhausted so there is no sentimental attachment to chucking them away, unlike an old lens cloth which always lurks at the bottom of the bag, ready to re-distribute whatever it has cleaned off previously.

Steve
Erik Kaffehr

DarkPenguin

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 11:14:43 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Normally I just breed on the lens and wipe of with the microfiber cloth.

This is disturbing.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 11:45:23 pm »

Please explain?

Erik

Quote from: DarkPenguin
This is disturbing.
Erik Kaffehr

jeremyrh

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 01:10:48 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Please explain?

Erik
Well, most of us just breathe on the lens, but if you've found something that works for you, go for it.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 01:54:36 am »

Sorry!

Point taken!

;-) Erik

Quote from: jeremyrh
Well, most of us just breathe on the lens, but if you've found something that works for you, go for it.
Erik Kaffehr

francois

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 07:52:35 am »

Are most lens pens the same?
Or are people refering to Lenspen?
http://www.lenspen.com/
Phil,
Lenspen is the product. Here's a link: http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=&product...-1&tpid=146

Models vary in shape and size but you should find them pretty easily in most camera stores or you can order them directly from Lenspen.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:54:44 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up