Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of switching to Nikon D3x  (Read 14275 times)

elitegroup

Thinking of switching to Nikon D3x
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:36:59 am »

I'm considering buying a D3x for the wider dynamic range (at ISO 100-600) but the main reason for the switch is the AF is supposed to be faster and more accurate. I've read the D3x has no problems locking focus in low light/contrast areas and has a higher hit rate. I think James also mentioned he uses a 1Ds III but finds the Nikon to be much more reliable in the AF department.

My question is what's the best raw processing software for the D3x files? I'm a canon user and usually process in DPP then straight into photoshop. Is Nikon NX2, LR or Capture One the best way to go? in terms of getting the best out of the files?

Also what about shooting tethered? is NX2 very stable/fast/reliable in this regard? or is LR a better option for tethering the D3x

I'm also looking at purchasing a good all-purpose zoom for fashion/portraits/catwalk/studio/location etc. is the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR a nice sharp optic?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:58:26 am by elitegroup »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:12:39 am »

Quote from: elitegroup
My question is what's the best raw processing software for the D3x files? I'm a canon user and usually process in DPP then straight into photoshop. Is Nikon NX2, LR or Capture One the best way to go? in terms of getting the best out of the files?

Also what about shooting tethered? is NX2 very stable/fast/reliable in this regard? or is LR a better option for tethering the D3x

I have been using C1 Pro 4.6 with excellent results except for a rather poor correction of purple fringing with some lenses (still looking into that). Raw Developper is also good.

NX2 is also good, but I am getting better detail with C1, and prefer their shadow/highlight recovery capability. Obviously there is no local modification availalbe in C1, so it sometimes means that one still has to rely on multiple conversions and overlaying in PS to handle some cases.

Having never shot thethered I cannot comment on your second question.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:41:12 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I have been using C1 Pro 4.6 with excellent results except for a rather poor correction of purple fringing with some lenses (still looking into that). Raw Developper is also good.

NX2 is also good, but I am getting better detail with C1, and prefer their shadow/highlight recovery capability. Obviously there is no local modification availalbe in C1, so it sometimes means that one still has to rely on multiple conversions and overlaying in PS to handle some cases.

Cheers,
Bernard

The D3x focuses and locks *very* fast, in low light, but will sometimes lock on hi-contrast subjects in the background which the Canon doesn't do.

If you are thinking of getting a D3x to use in low light, you might find it better to get a D3 because the better Hi-ISO means it will probably be almost equivalently sharp at 1600 ISO, and the D3 can do much better at really high ISO. The D3x seems to be at its best at around 100-400 ISO, where I believe it offers the best image quality presently available on a dSLR.

C1 is good. I cannot get NX2 to work on my Mac for some reason.
As for the purple fringing, I can even see it in-camera at 100% !

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:51:24 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

elitegroup

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:43:57 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

Quote from: eronald
The D3x focuses and locks *very* fast, in low light, but will sometimes lock on hi-contrast subjects in the background which the Canon doesn't do.

If you are thinking of getting a D3x to use in low light, you might find it better to get a D3 because the better Hi-ISO means it will probably be almost equivalently sharp at 1600 ISO, and the D3 can do much better at really high ISO. The D3x seems to be at its best at around 100-400 ISO, where I believe it offers the best image quality presently available on a dSLR.

C1 is good. I cannot get NX2 to work on my Mac for some reason.
As for the purple fringing, I can even see it in-camera at 100% !

Edmund

Thanks Bernard and Edmund, it seems C1 is the better raw processing engine. regarding the purple fringing is there a filter in C1 that will alleviate this problem or do you have to use another application to handle this issue? I've never seen this problem with the 1Ds III  

I prefer the IQ of the D3x at 100-400 ISO (D3 not enough resolution) which is my standard range for most situations.

Can anyone comment on the speed/reliability of tethered capture with NX2 or LR?

I want to gleen as much info from D3x users on the strengths/weaknesses of the camera before seriously considering a platform change.  

Cheers      

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:56:36 pm »

I want to gleen as much info from D3x users on the strengths/weaknesses of the camera before seriously considering a platform change.

The D3x has been a very reliable tool so far. I love the results I am getting with the Zeiss 100 mm f2.0 macro. Here is a recent hand held sample at f2.0. Auto ISO is an amazing asset in such situations (set minimum shutter speed to whatever you feel comfy with - 1/100s in this case), the max ISO you would prefer not to go above (1600 ISO here) and the camera just comes up with the lowest possible ISO required to meet you shutter need needs...

Cheers,
Bernard

RomanJohnston

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:08:33 am »

David, I have been quite happy creating a workflow that starts with CNX2 and then hands over to Photoshop CS3 for final polish. Now, granted I have not worked with D3X files, but almost any file Nikon has made up to this point and every time I keep coming back to this combo for my own personal style of Conversion and PP.

Good luck with whatever you choose and the D3X if you decide to go that way.

Roman

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:14:20 am »

I'm considering buying a D3x for the wider dynamic range (at ISO 100-600) but the main reason for the switch is the AF is supposed to be faster and more accurate. I've read the D3x has no problems locking focus in low light/contrast areas and has a higher hit rate. I think James also mentioned he uses a 1Ds III but finds the Nikon to be much more reliable in the AF department.

I'm also looking at purchasing a good all-purpose zoom for fashion/portraits/catwalk/studio/location etc. is the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR a nice sharp optic?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated  

The Canon is a good camera, at least the 1ds3's.   They focus well, they just don't track focus as well as the nikons or find low, low light areas to focus on as well as the Nikons, but overall the Canons are very good, especially on skintones.

Capture NX or whatever it is called processes the Nikon files very well, so does c1 4.6, though NX is a little better, though a very confusing program and somewhat slow even on a killer mac tower.

But if you really are thinking about switching systems get your hands on a D3, d700, d3x and yes even an N90 and shoot the way you shoot in your conditions and look at them.  Also use your Canons.

You might not notice any difference.

Honestly I've processed files from about everthing in about everything and all digital cameras today are good, some work better in some situations than others, but they're all good.

Now, nobody is going to believe me on this, but I find the little Nikon n90 to be an amazing little camera.  In real world, where people are moving, light is changing and everthing is not shot locked down with 10,000 watts of strobe I have a very very hard time telling the difference between the n90 and a 1ds3.  In fact I love the out of the camera color of the n-90 and maybe it was just the situations I shot it in, but the color is really pretty all from a camera that costs $900.

All of these cameras have their strengths and weakness, especially with lenses.  The Canon 35mm 1.4 even wide open is just an great piece of glass and the Nikon 85 1.4 and 200 F2 are far and above two of the finest lenses I've every shot with.  The 200mm especially is just crazy sharp and pretty.  It's a save the day type of lens.

I know everyone talks megapixels as the holy grail and but I really don't think it matters that much, at least not as much as the forums will lead you to believe.  Lens sharpness, in focus, color all have much more to do with the look of what I do than uber detail.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:16:48 am by James R Russell »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:11:15 am »

You need NX anyway to tether. LR does not 'do' tethered shooting in itself. What it does is set up a watched folder and as soon as the image pops into the folder via the tethering software LR displays the photo and adds Metadata, applies specific presets or whatever. LR does not have the actual software to do the tethering, that is done via the manufacturers software. EOS Capture for Canon and NX for Nikon. Given that LR is adding a further step to the process which slows down tethered shooting (7 secs from my 5D's to display in LR for RAW files) I think it's only useful if you are working with a LR workflow. That said as an ACR user it was very good on location when I needed to get photos to clients fast. I could test exposures based on my usual preset, apply the metadata and have all the settings standerdized (including a DNG profile/WB I'd just made before starting) as the photos came into the computer and then could export to jpg and hand to the client immediately. Was perfect for a recent college shoot, headshots of 250 people. Having the bigger 'preview' to check for close eyes or whatever was just a plus.

elitegroup

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:15:10 am »

Quote from: pom
You need NX anyway to tether. LR does not 'do' tethered shooting in itself. What it does is set up a watched folder and as soon as the image pops into the folder via the tethering software LR displays the photo and adds Metadata, applies specific presets or whatever. LR does not have the actual software to do the tethering, that is done via the manufacturers software. EOS Capture for Canon and NX for Nikon. Given that LR is adding a further step to the process which slows down tethered shooting (7 secs from my 5D's to display in LR for RAW files) I think it's only useful if you are working with a LR workflow. That said as an ACR user it was very good on location when I needed to get photos to clients fast. I could test exposures based on my usual preset, apply the metadata and have all the settings standerdized (including a DNG profile/WB I'd just made before starting) as the photos came into the computer and then could export to jpg and hand to the client immediately. Was perfect for a recent college shoot, headshots of 250 people. Having the bigger 'preview' to check for close eyes or whatever was just a plus.

Thanks for the info Ben, is appreciated    

Quote from: James R Russell
The Canon is a good camera, at least the 1ds3's.   They focus well, they just don't track focus as well as the nikons or find low, low light areas to focus on as well as the Nikons, but overall the Canons are very good, especially on skintones.

Capture NX or whatever it is called processes the Nikon files very well, so does c1 4.6, though NX is a little better, though a very confusing program and somewhat slow even on a killer mac tower.

But if you really are thinking about switching systems get your hands on a D3, d700, d3x and yes even an N90 and shoot the way you shoot in your conditions and look at them.  Also use your Canons.

You might not notice any difference.

Honestly I've processed files from about everthing in about everything and all digital cameras today are good, some work better in some situations than others, but they're all good.

Now, nobody is going to believe me on this, but I find the little Nikon n90 to be an amazing little camera.  In real world, where people are moving, light is changing and everthing is not shot locked down with 10,000 watts of strobe I have a very very hard time telling the difference between the n90 and a 1ds3.  In fact I love the out of the camera color of the n-90 and maybe it was just the situations I shot it in, but the color is really pretty all from a camera that costs $900.

All of these cameras have their strengths and weakness, especially with lenses.  The Canon 35mm 1.4 even wide open is just an great piece of glass and the Nikon 85 1.4 and 200 F2 are far and above two of the finest lenses I've every shot with.  The 200mm especially is just crazy sharp and pretty.  It's a save the day type of lens.

I know everyone talks megapixels as the holy grail and but I really don't think it matters that much, at least not as much as the forums will lead you to believe.  Lens sharpness, in focus, color all have much more to do with the look of what I do than uber detail.

Thanks James,

You're right, I'll ask my local camera store for a trial on the D3x with the 1Ds III for a side by side comparison under my working conditions. I've asked one place in Perth but they were unwilling to loan out their D3x   I'll keep asking around  

elitegroup

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:18:01 am »

Quote from: RomanJohnston
David, I have been quite happy creating a workflow that starts with CNX2 and then hands over to Photoshop CS3 for final polish. Now, granted I have not worked with D3X files, but almost any file Nikon has made up to this point and every time I keep coming back to this combo for my own personal style of Conversion and PP.

Good luck with whatever you choose and the D3X if you decide to go that way.

Roman

NX2 into CS3/4 seems like the most streamlined way to go. I'll have to download the software and give it a go

Cheers Roman  

Clive Carpenter

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 06:24:44 am »

Quote from: pom

Doesn't the latest version of Capture One 4.6 allow for tethered shooting for Nikons.  Or is it only for the D3?

Clive

petermarrek

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:57:29 am »

I would never consider a total switch of camera system based on comments on a forum. With respect to all who posted, we all use cameras differently and have expectations. Rent or borrow a lens/camera combo and use it for a few days. You then have lots of time to see image quality, processing workflow etc. Even better, shoot your test images with both systems to really get relevant answers. A few hundred dollars might turn into a bargain if things turn out different than expected. The choices are much simpler for those of us with legacy systems, we are only adding one lens or body. Peter

douglasf13

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:57:04 am »

Agreed, you've gotta try these cameras out.  While youre at it, you should try an A900. It doesn't have a sophisticated outer af point system, but it's center point is the best out there, and you could add the system to your Canons for a relatively low price. Plus, you'll love the ZAs.

SeanBK

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »

I too work with NX2 & then CS3. It really does work great. I find NX2 quite intuitive. Though I haven't used other softwares, but I can assure you, I am not a Mensa member either.  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:28:44 pm by SeanBK »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 02:26:02 pm »

Quote from: SeanBK
I too work with NX2 & then CS3. It really does work great. I find NX2 quite intuitive. Though I haven't used other softwares, but I can assure you, I am not a Mensa member either.  

I'm a Ph.D, and have been unable to get NX2 to work on my Mac. Yuck.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Colorado David

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 03:06:41 pm »

Edmund

I first tried to run Nikon Capture 4, then Capture NX on a Windows machine.  I could go for coffee while it opened a .nef file.  Now I'm running on a Mac and it is fast.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 07:56:07 pm »

I'm a Ph.D

Wouldn't that be the problem?  

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 12:36:15 am »

Bernhard,

Which exam do you need for NX2?

I have an MSc. in mechanical engineering so I guess the Leica M3 is the camera I'm certified for, or possibly a Linhof ;-)

Best regards
Erik

Wouldn't that be the problem?  

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

Smallcooter

• http://
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 05:31:31 am »

Edmund

Permanent head Damage?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 05:33:36 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
I have an MSc. in mechanical engineering so I guess the Leica M3 is the camera I'm certified for, or possibly a Linhof ;-)

Same thing here, and I am mostly able to use NX2... although in the end I mostly don't.

You should be fine the day they decide to support Sony files.

Cheers,
Bernsrd
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up