Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older Nikon 70-300 AF ED  (Read 2247 times)

Colorado David

Older Nikon 70-300 AF ED
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:51 pm »

I have had this lens for quite some time.  I purchased it when Nikon first introduced it sometime in the late 90's.  It was reviewed favorably by Galen Rowell.  I have rarely used it as I routinely opted for a faster lens when shooting film.  My copy is in excellent shape and I might either begin to use it or trade it in on some new equipment.  I am usually reluctant to trade equipment in this price range as the the value in trade is probably low.  I looked through Bjorn's Nikon lens reviews and this lens is not mentioned.  I have emailed him my question, but thought I would query the group here as well.  This lens may be one I would get some use from due to its light weight and small size compared to its faster counterparts.  With the ability to shoot at higher ISO's it may be a viable option in some circumstances.  This is the model without VR (I can work around that) but does have the aperture ring.  I believe this is the lens that replaced the 75-300 lens that had a tripod collar.  Does anyone own and use one of these?  If so what have your results been like?  I would use it with a DX body mostly, but might want to use it FX sometime.  Thanks very much for your help.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Older Nikon 70-300 AF ED
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:23:12 pm »

I used to have one and found its performance not bad but certainly not spectacular. I bought mine in 1997. I have sold the lens several years ago, nowadays I would (am actually) look at the newer AFS VR 70-300 which is received much more favorably. Unless of course you really need the aperture ring.

I have also sold my 70-200 which I found too heavy and not good enough to justify carrying around the weight. Apparently I am one of the few that found the 70-200 good but not great.

Richowens

Older Nikon 70-300 AF ED
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:30 pm »

David,

Here is the link to Thom Hogan's review.

http://www.bythom.com/70300lens.htm

I have had this lens for about 5 years now and Thom's review echos my experience.

It is my favorite walkaround lens on my D70, even street photography. I have also used it on a D200 with good results as well as my FM and N70 film cameras.

The lens is best shot at f8 or f11 but wide open on the short end up to about 120 makes a good informal portrait lens.

If someone is looking for a light, compact lens for hand carrying with decent quality this is one I would recommend. Especially if they are on a budget as they can be found in the $150 to $200
range. The one complaint I have is it tends to hunt for focus in low light and low contrast situations.

HTH

Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up