Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting a file to TIFF  (Read 1868 times)

kilad14

Exporting a file to TIFF
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »

I'm a bit confused...When I export my files from Lightroom 2.0 as TIFFs, they ALWAYS save with the same size, 28.5 MB, regardless of whether or not I do any adjustments.  28.5 MB seems awfully small, even though I'm shooting in RAW with a Nikon D 80 (10 megapixels).  

I need to open this file in photoshop and to resize it for printing, but I feel that I'm working with an awfully small image.  

How do I go about getting the largest TIFF at a decent resolution from Lightroom before reaizing and saving it again in photoshop for printing?

Thanks!!
- Allen

howardm

Exporting a file to TIFF
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:58:27 pm »

why do you think that a TIFF that is about 3x the original raw is 'awfully small' ?

If I look at my D300 manual, an uncompressed 12bit nef is 20MB and a TIFF is 36.5MB.  w/ any sort of comrpession, it's 3:1

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Exporting a file to TIFF
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:44:53 pm »

Quote from: kilad14
I'm a bit confused...When I export my files from Lightroom 2.0 as TIFFs, they ALWAYS save with the same size, 28.5 MB, regardless of whether or not I do any adjustments.  28.5 MB seems awfully small, even though I'm shooting in RAW with a Nikon D 80 (10 megapixels).  

I need to open this file in photoshop and to resize it for printing, but I feel that I'm working with an awfully small image.  

How do I go about getting the largest TIFF at a decent resolution from Lightroom before reaizing and saving it again in photoshop for printing?

Thanks!!
- Allen

Why are you exporting tiffs from LR to open in PS? Just right-click the image in LR and select Edit in and then select Open as Smart Object in PS.

Peter

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Exporting a file to TIFF
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:59:12 am »

Quote from: kilad14
That means you export 8bit files - try 16bits if you want them obese (errr, sorry, should I perhaps say big?).
PeterAit has a much better solution.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Exporting a file to TIFF
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:20:10 am »

Why do you have to resize in PS for printing? Either print from LR or if you're sending the files somewhere to be printed, Export them at the size you need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up