Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: SInar Exposure 6.1 & white shadings  (Read 3560 times)

David WM

• http://
Re: SInar Exposure 6.1 & white shadings
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:53 pm »

A couple of 6.1 questions:

1.With eXposure 6.1 about to be released I was wondering if someone might like to go through how white shadings are applied.

2. If I have a CF card full of raw files taken last night which will require white shading to be applied( taken with Schneider 24mm, no centre filter). If I download them from the CF card in eXposure 6.01 am I able to later apply the white shadings, or do I need to leave them on the CF card until 6.1 is released or go with Brumbaer?

Thanks, David

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:18 pm »

Quote from: David WM

1.With eXposure 6.1 about to be released I was wondering if someone might like to go through how white shadings are applied.

2. If I have a CF card full of raw files taken last night which will require white shading to be applied( taken with Schneider 24mm, no centre filter). If I download them from the CF card in eXposure 6.01 am I able to later apply the white shadings, or do I need to leave them on the CF card until 6.1 is released or go with Brumbaer?

Thanks, David

Hi David,

if you have Brumbaer, I think that's your best bet at this stage.

It's a big ask though using the 24mm and applying the WSF without a centre filter. It will do it but the adjustment is at the edge of what is possible so you will find noise in som corners.

Make sure also you do  a colour calibration in Brumbaer using a macbeth chart.

Cheers

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:14:08 pm »

Dear David,

first let me say something about the release of eXposure 6.1: it will be up on our download site within a few hours. the "Read Me" is currently being written, as well as the official information. That should be done today, Swiss time.

1. how "White Shadings" are applied:

it is a fairly simple and straightforward process in 6.1. The White Shading is shot before the actual images, then imported (from either the internal memory or from the CF card). Then simply activate the "White Shading" tool (Icon) and mark the file you wish to use as the "white shading" with a check box. This particular white shading is or can then be applied to all FOLLOWING images (by dragging and dropping these images in a folder of your choice) UNTIL the next "White Shading" file appears in the contact sheet, which, if marked as white shading, will be applied to the next images, etc ....

2. Yes, you can apply those "White Shadings" later.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks, David
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:48:46 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

David WM

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:28:30 pm »

Thanks Murray
I have been using Brumbaer with this lens. On some photos I do get colour issues and highlight issues. If the scene has highlights in the centre and dark edges naturally it is a bit challenging for the dynamic range and it might end up with noisy corners but in general it is OK.  I am hoping that eXposure 6.1 may be better with the colour and highlight transitions.

Cheers,  David

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
Hi David,

if you have Brumbaer, I think that's your best bet at this stage.

It's a big ask though using the 24mm and applying the WSF without a centre filter. It will do it but the adjustment is at the edge of what is possible so you will find noise in som corners.

Make sure also you do  a colour calibration in Brumbaer using a macbeth chart.

Cheers

Murray

PeterA

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:29:18 pm »

Good timing on the  new software Thierry - since my Sinar/Hy6 kit arrived today...  

Pete

Quote from: thsinar
Dear David,

first let me say something about the release of eXposure 6.1: it will be up on our download site within a few hours. the "Read Me" is currently being written, as well as the official information. That should be done today, Swiss time.

1. how "White Shadings" are applied:

it is a fairly simple and straightforward process in 6.1. The White Shading is shot before the actual images, then imported (from either the internal memory or from the CF card). Then simply activate the "White Shading" tool (Icon) and mark the file you wish to use a the "white shading" with a check box. This particular white shading is or can then be applied to all FOLLOWING images (by dragging and dropping these images in a folder of your choice) UNTIL the next "White Shading" file appears in the contact sheet, which, if marked as white shading, will be applied to the next images, etc ....

2. Yes, you can apply those "White Shadings" later.

Best regards,
Thierry

David WM

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:30:59 pm »

Thanks Thierry, I'll look forward to trying it.

Cheers, David

thsinar

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:36:10 pm »

I should add a couple of important things, concerning this new "White Shading" tool in Sinar eXposure:

- there is as well a "Vignetting" tool included in the "White Shading" tool: one can therefore apply to the shaded files either "None", or "25%", or "50%", or "75%" or then "100%" vignetting correction, automatically, in a batch and AT THE SAME TIME as the shading process. The "Vignetting" does affect the light fall-off only, not the colours.

- I forgot to mention that the shading process is an automated batch process. The "White Shading" tool nicely shows the files on which the particular white shading file is applied on, by greying it out in the contact sheet. The next batch of files with another white shading is separated by a separator, making it a secure and very visual process.

I unfortunately do not have a "White Shading" file under hand right now, and have used a normal image as white shading, but have a look on the attached image, how this workflow looks.

Best regards,
Thierry
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:37:18 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

BJNY

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:49:18 pm »

Hi Thierry,

Does the vignetting tool preclude the need for center filters?

Billy
Guillermo

thsinar

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:15 pm »

hi Billy,

yes, that's the idea.

Although I must say that I hardly ever used/needed a center filter with Sinaron Rodenstock lenses.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: BJNY
Hi Thierry,

Does the vignetting tool preclude the need for center filters?

Billy
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

David WM

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 09:08:04 pm »

Hi Thierry

I have installed 6.1.1. How do I activate the white shading icon? The contact sheet view I have does not seem to have those symbols in the top left of each box like yours.

Regards,  David

Dear David,
....it is a fairly simple and straightforward process in 6.1. The White Shading is shot before the actual images, then imported (from either the internal memory or from the CF card). Then simply activate the "White Shading" tool (Icon) and mark the file you wish to use as the "white shading" with a check box. This particular white shading is or can then be applied to all FOLLOWING images (by dragging and dropping these images in a folder of your choice) UNTIL the next "White Shading" file appears in the contact sheet, which, if marked as white shading, will be applied to the next images, etc ....

Best regards,
Thierry

thsinar

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 11:07:21 pm »

Dear David,

You have to customize your toolbar: Menu "View" ---> "Toolbar" ---> "Customize Toolbar..." (see screenshot 1),

then you drag the "Shading Mode" icon into your toolbar (see screenshot 2 & 3),

and finally, when needing the shading mode, simply click on it in the toolbar (see screenshot 4) and the "Shading Mode" becomes activated like in my previous screenshot.

Also, very useful, the "On-line Help" ---> click the "Red Cross Case" icon (drag it in your toolbar if not there): see screenshot 5), the "On-line Help" opens, go to "Search" and type "Shading" and a window opens with all the information and how to use this tool (see screenshot 6).

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry

I have installed 6.1.1. How do I activate the white shading icon? The contact sheet view I have does not seem to have those symbols in the top left of each box like yours.

Regards,  David
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:23:28 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

David WM

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:50:35 pm »

Thanks Thierry

I've got that,  I need to do more exploring, there is quite a bit to the program. I have applied a couple of white shadings now and they seem very smooth. I am yet to have a play with the variable vignette.

Cheers

David

Dear David,

You have to customize your toolbar: Menu "View" ---> "Toolbar" ---> "Customize Toolbar..." (see screenshot 1),

then you drag the "Shading Mode" icon into your toolbar (see screenshot 2 & 3),

and finally, when needing the shading mode, simply click on it in the toolbar (see screenshot 4) and the "Shading Mode" becomes activated like in my previous screenshot.

Also, very useful, the "On-line Help" ---> click the "Red Cross Case" icon (drag it in your toolbar if not there): see screenshot 5), the "On-line Help" opens, go to "Search" and type "Shading" and a window opens with all the information and how to use this tool (see screenshot 6).

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Thierry
Pages: [1]   Go Up