Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor losing its profile, I guess . . .  (Read 5402 times)

Bill in WV

Monitor losing its profile, I guess . . .
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:32:43 pm »

I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook with a 17 inch screen. It's running Vista, the home version. I calibrate with a Spyder 2 running the 2.3.5 version of the software. It seems to calibrate just fine and boots to the adjusted screen until it goes to the screen saver, I think that's when it happens, then the screen apparently reverts to the default screen profile. It is very noticable and frustrating. It doesn't seem to happen on desktop computer with a 22in LCD screen and running XP.

Does anyone have ideas other than just disabling the screen saver? Or is that what's doing it?

Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:55:06 pm »

Bill, I use XP, not Vista, but FWIW a suggestion of what is PERHAPS the problem: even though it should be, the new profile may not be set as the new default in the video card driver. If Vista works similarly as XP in this respect, right click your desktop, select Properties>Settings>Advanced>Color Management, highlight the newly-made profile you want as the default, then click "Set As Default", OK close., and the selected profile should return automatically regardless of what the screen saver does.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Damo77

• http://www.bellephotography.net.au/
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:11:15 pm »

Yes, I have the same problem on my Vista laptop.  It's a common Vista problem, apparently, when the computer sleeps, or goes to screensaver, or even goes dark when a security alert pops up, I believe.

I have an EyeOne for calibration, and Xrite have provided an app called Display Profile to reinstate the profile in this situation.  I think I read of an equivalent app for the Spyder, but I can't find it now.

I keep reading that Microsoft have fixed this problem, but I have all the very latest updates for Vista, and no joy yet.  I wish it would be resolved.
Damien

Bill in WV

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:27:17 pm »

Thanks Mark, I had never seen all those screens before, but they seemed consistent with what I expected to see. Now I am wondering if creating a more original name for the profile, maybe something referencing the Spyder instead of "1-Generic PnP Monitor.icm" would help. This file name seems to be associated with installed chipset, I used it because it was suggested by the Spyder software.

Bill
Bill Evans

Bill in WV

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »

And thanks to you too, Damo77. I'll keep looking also.

Bill
Bill Evans

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:45:37 pm »

Quote from: Bill in WV
Thanks Mark, I had never seen all those screens before, but they seemed consistent with what I expected to see. Now I am wondering if creating a more original name for the profile, maybe something referencing the Spyder instead of "1-Generic PnP Monitor.icm" would help. This file name seems to be associated with installed chipset, I used it because it was suggested by the Spyder software.

Bill

Bill, as long as all the profiles have the slightest differences in their names (which they must to save as separate files), the name itself should make no difference to the process of calling-up the default profile - or at least none that I know about.

Bill in WV

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:34 pm »

Damien,

Just checked out your web sites, very nice and enterprising too. Should work well for a stay-at-home-Dad. I love your home page photo/image on your personal page; and I couldn't help but notice your self description line, especially the third one. See my web site; it's not on the same level as yours, but you should catch on quickly.

I hope someday to get back to Australia, it's been since 1970 and I didn't get nearly enough time on that visit. I visited RAAF Richmond (as I recall) near Sidney and spent the night in King's Cross before flying across to Learmouth for an hour before returning to Sidney for fuel and jumping off to Christ Church, NZ. But then, that's how I've seen most of those parts of the planet I have managed to see. In either 15 hour snippets on the ground or from five to six miles up and at 350 to 500 mph depending upon the aircraft at the time.

Have a good'n Mate,
Bill
Bill Evans

Bill in WV

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 07:04:17 pm »

Thanks again, Mark,

What you say makes good sense, I think I'll see if the Spyder folks have anything on their site.

By the way, did we meet last year at Michael's gallery opening and reception? I know I met one Mark there, and we had a good chat.

Bill
Bill Evans

Bill in WV

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »

Ok, one final question - Is this problem restricted to the Spyder 2 and Vista or are others having similar problems? According to ColorVision their software should fix it and I am downloading right now, but I think it's the same version I've already got. We'll see . . .

Bill in WV
Bill Evans

Damo77

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »

It's a Vista problem - not restricted to any particular calibrator.
Damien

Bill in WV

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 07:36:23 pm »

Oh goodie! Nothing can be easy, can it?

Bill
Bill Evans

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 09:05:17 pm »

I kind of suspected it may be a Vista problem - there have been numerous issues of Vista compatibility with various applications and equipment, which is one reason amongst others for its rather uneven commercial history. But problems are not confined to Vista. I am using Windows XP Pro and for my display profiling I'm using ColorEyes Display (CED) with a Monaco XR colorimeter - by all tests and accounts an excellent suite of colour management tools. There's no problem with recognition of the default monitor profile, but something or other between the video card and the display is preventing CED from communicating via DDC. There is a workaround to this latter issue, but just goes to show that this is a complex area with numerous bits and pieces which need to cohere. As were not dealing with closed systems under the control of one manufacturer or developer, stuff falls between the cracks. I think the idea of communicating this problem to the Spyder people is the way to go - it is in their interest to follow-up with Microsoft so that the problem could be addressed either in a Vista up-date or in Windows 7. It is worthwhile testing whether this problem occurs with other calibration/profiling software suites because it may work properly for one but not the other, for reasons we won't understand - and you can usually get a free trial period for all these packages. If nothing allows it to work it would be an OS problem, in which case it may be necessary for you to check and reload that profile before each image editing session.

Pat Herold

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 08:33:29 pm »

Just want to confirm what Damien said in this thread.

The issue of Vista losing its profile color information is a known bug.  Microsoft has claimed to fix it in SP1; many people are finding that this is not necessarily so.  One work around is to use a small program (free from Xrite) called Displayprofile which allows you to instantly click to change profiles (and reload the profile color information.)

Details on this is here:
[a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\']http://www.colorforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=694[/a]

and here:
[a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\']http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Vistas_New_Color_Management_System_-_WCS[/a]
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

Damo77

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »

Patrick, I use DisplayProfile on my Vista laptop, because I have an EyeOne Display 2.  Does DisplayProfile also work for Spyder users?  I thought I'd read that it didn't, but I may be wrong ...
Damien

Pat Herold

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 12:56:00 pm »

DisplayProfile is a stand alone program, and it simply allows you to switch between monitor profiles.  It should work with any monitor profiles in your profiles folder - i1, Spyder, Optix, Monaco, etc.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up