Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Trimmer advice sought  (Read 23254 times)

framah

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 12:06:36 pm »

The other day I saw a $60,000.00 Mercedes parked next to a $30,000.00 Hyundai. They looked exactly the same, except for name and model badges!

The only thing that proves is that Hyundai is good at copying the looks of a Mercedes. Trust me, drive each and you will feel the difference!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 12:59:35 pm »

Quote from: dct123
The other day I saw a $60,000.00 Mercedes parked next to a $30,000.00 Hyundai. They looked exactly the same, except for name and model badges!

Long ago, back in the 70s Ford sold a car called a Granada. They too said it looked just like a Mercedes. The difference is that a lot of people still use Mercedes which were built in the 70s...

wtlloyd

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 02:45:50 pm »

With all due respect, you guys are being brand-loyal without any comparison whatsoever to base it on. I've never used a RotaTrim, so I'm not going to argue the merits.

Happy w/ my trimmer, it's held up, done what I've needed it to, and it was a 100 bucks less. It has a 5 year warranty same as Rotatrim. It's distributed by Tiffin and sold by B&H among others.

That's all I've got to say about it.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »

You are correct.

Heck all I know about them is that they are highly recommended. I bought a well used Rotatrim and it cuts flawlessly. It’s clearly a well designed and very durable product. But the design is pretty simple. It is built to insure stability when cutting and durability. The blade is even self sharpening, and is made to disassemble to replace the blade if needed. Those features make for a good product.

Of course, I also own 2 MBs, one of which is 18 years old, largely because they too are well built….

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 05:04:41 pm »

Quote from: framah
The only thing that proves is that Hyundai is good at copying the looks of a Mercedes. Trust me, drive each and you will feel the difference!!
My point exactly.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 08:35:22 pm »

I bought a 30" Rotatrim over 30 years ago. It worked perfectly when I bought it and it works perfectly now after three decades in a commercial printing studio.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 10:24:34 pm »

I bought the Kodak Professional M3 trimmer many years ago---well before Tiffen bought the line.  The trimmer is well made, blades remain sharp after years of use and working events.  BUT, having used the Rotatrim line of trimmers, I do have to say I'd give the slight edge to the Rotatrim overall.  Can't tell you if it's worth the additional cost to you....

davewolfs

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:31:44 pm by davewolfs »

AFairley

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 03:41:49 pm »

I'm going to be a contrarian and say the Dahle trimmers are fine -- if you are not a high volume user and don't need to be able to make precise right angle trims. I would love to have a Rototrim (I actually did have a single rail 36" back in the day), but can't justify the expense for the kind of use I give it as an amateur.  For my use (cutting down large sheets and trimming bordered prints down to printed area) it's perfectly adequate (my trims don't need to be exactly square because everything is either behind a window mat or covered by the frame edges for small unmatted prints).  But I can see how for some the Dahles wouldn't cut it (oops).

If all you need it to get to the store, both the Mercedes and Hyundai will get you to there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:46:50 pm by AFairley »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »

I have the Rotatrim 36" and my only mistake was not buying larger. I print panos and wide prints with my Epson 7900 and trim all 4 sides sometimes. Thats where a bigger rotatrim would be better.
 To the fellow that saved $100.00 on a different trimmer type,it sounds like it works for you. I look at my tools a little differently then most,I want the best quality available and the cost is what it is.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 07:58:42 pm »

I have a Dahle.  It's okay but finicky where a rotatrim just works (used them plenty at various jobs etc).  Never had any issues with accuracy but only have an A3 one - larger I can see it flexing assuming the same design.  They need cleaning under the blade occasionally and the base is frustratingly lightweight so make sure you hold it firmly.  If you are minted or have a heavy throughput, the rotatrim is a no brainer - but cheaping out here will only be noticeable to you in the slight extra agro.  Cheaping out elsewhere will cause more hassle.  (Never trust a cheap strap from experience!)

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:56 pm »

The other day I saw a $350,000 Rolls Royce parked next to a $250,000 Bentley. They looked exactly the same, except for the name and badge. And you know what? They were (except one cost less).

petermarrek

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 09:03:38 pm »

Ahhh, we all know which one works better. You will never regret buying quality. Peter

howardm

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 09:15:10 pm »

there was a news article a few days ago about safety roll-over tests of some small SUVs.

The Volkswagen barely had a scratch.  The Kia was totally destroyed and no one would have
wanted their family in that passenger compartment.

There *IS* a difference.  It's up to you to assign a value to that difference and whether it's worth it or not.

I ended up w/ the Rotatrim.  Yes, I didn't need something like that but I've tossed a lot more $$ than that $100
over the years.  It's a wonderful unit and yes, I do think it's overpriced.

davewolfs

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 10:52:36 pm »

What size would you recommend for a 24" printer, would a 36" cutter be sufficient?

howardm

Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:08 am »

I can only say that for a 17" Epson 3800, I got a 24" Rotatrim.  That really was the limit of what I wanted to spend.

if you think you're going to be cutting on the long axis a lot, 36" might be worth it vs. a cutting mat and straight-edge

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 11:50:38 am »

Quote from: howardm
[snip]

I ended up w/ the Rotatrim.  Yes, I didn't need something like that but I've tossed a lot more $$ than that $100
over the years.  It's a wonderful unit and yes, I do think it's overpriced.

Good tools are always over priced.

That's why i'm a fan of buying tools such as this used but in good shape.

spacegoose

Re: Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 04:14:03 pm »

A paper cutter is not a car.

I saw a Saunders at a camera shop today and had regrets having purchased the more expensive Rotatrim a month or so ago (found this thread when looking to compare the two).

The Saunders seems to have the same blade system as the Rotatrim, dual rails, and is made of metal where the Rotatrim baseboard is made of MDF (fibreboard).

The Rotatrim is nice, but doesn't seem nicer than the Saunders.

I'm unhappy with the plastic guard on my Rotatrim. I use mine for cutting sheet film among other things, and there is the possibility of scratching the emulsion when moving the film under the guard. I removed the guard but that rendered the cutter useless. The guard is necessary to hold the item flat, otherwise the item moves all over while cutting and a clean or useful cut is not possible. When removing the guard on the Rotatrim I was unimpressed with precision of the screws, the strange, haphazard, cheap spacers/shims, and the screws screwed right into the MDF (without precision so not exactly straight), there were no screw anchors, it seemed rather shoddy actually for such an expensive item.

I bought it to replace a rather low-end Dahle which kind of sucked, the straight edge was not straight and therefore the Dahle did not cut straight due possibly to needing adjustment (according to Dahle customer support), but the screws to do this adjusting are star screws, and I only have flat and Phillips-head. Plus it is mostly plastic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/511185-REG/Saunders_890_018AS_Professional_M3_Rotary_Trimmer.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251598-REG/Rotatrim_RC_RCM18_Mastercut_II_18_Rotary.html

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 09:14:34 pm »

I've used a Rotarim for over 30 years and although I've also worried about it scratching some of the more delicate inkjet papers I use these days, I've never once had a problem with it scratching anything.

I'm unhappy with the plastic guard on my Rotatrim. I use mine for cutting sheet film among other things, and there is the possibility of scratching the emulsion when moving the film under the guard.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:23 pm »

I've used a Rotarim for over 30 years and although I've also worried about it scratching some of the more delicate inkjet papers I use these days, I've never once had a problem with it scratching anything.

Ditto...the key is to keep it clean and lift the guard when you are placing the item to be trimmed until to get it in place. The lift the guard when removing the item...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up