Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you use Folders versus Collections?  (Read 2893 times)

johnvr

How do you use Folders versus Collections?
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:35 am »

I import all my images in folders organized by date, divided over three catalogues (personal, non-personal, models). I only make a collection if I need to export a batch of images or if I'm setting up a portfolio.

Then I watched a Kelby training video, which stated that the best way to organize is to immediately pick the worthwhile shots of an import and put those in a collection while the not so great shots stay in the folders. The thinking is that you never go back to your folders (unless you want to see your bad negatives).

I find it intriguing, but I'm not sure using collections as the main navigation is the best idea.

How do you use Collections & Folders and what are the pros and cons of Collections vs Folders as the main way to organize your images?

howardm

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:58:27 am »

Folders are physical, Collections are virtual.

the photos all live in their respective folders but through the magic of database, you create a collection which is a virtual folder.  The photos don't actually physically move.  You're in essence, tagging them w/ a name (the name of the collection) so you can work w/ just those photos.

johnvr

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:08:49 pm »

Quote from: howardm
Folders are physical, Collections are virtual.

the photos all live in their respective folders but through the magic of database, you create a collection which is a virtual folder.  The photos don't actually physically move.  You're in essence, tagging them w/ a name (the name of the collection) so you can work w/ just those photos.

I know. The question is do you use folders or collections to move around in LR? I use folders, but see a lot of images I know I will never edit. Kelby says one should use Collections, but I'm not so sure he's right and am looking for experiences of other people.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »

I can't see how doing that collection thing is better than using either keywords and/or star ratings (or color if you want) and simply do smart collections.

What is he hawking as far as organizational methods of the collections he's proposing?  Lest you end up w/ a whole lot of collections, you wont be able to find what you need.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:58:43 pm »

I use collections like saved searches.  For example, I have a collection for each gallery on my website.  I can go back at any time and add / remove, then re-post to my site.

Another example would be themes, shows, subjects.

I would not create one for every shoot.  Keep in mind databases are very flexible because everyone has different needs/workflows.

Dave Chew

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:31 am »

Quote from: johnvr
How do you use Collections & Folders and what are the pros and cons of Collections vs Folders as the main way to organize your images?
Always have a good filing arrangement for your folders as a starting point, as collections are only useful in the programme that formed them. The chances are high that you will change software in the future and also that at sometime your database will corrupt/go wonky. I've had LR isues recently with catalogues not opening after upgrading.

Also Kelby's logic is somewhat flawed as you sometimes you may look through images again and see things you missed the first time.

BTW - I use collections, both smart and passive. But on top of a robust folder system.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:33:53 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:33:55 am »

Quote from: jjj
BTW - I use collections, both smart and passive. But on top of a robust folder system.
Ditto!
For me folders and collection are quite complementary, and I think I mostly use collection when I have to gather images from different folders.

The selection problem in the OP could be better solved with simple colors or stars ratings and the custom filter, imho.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

E Slagle

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:37:14 am »

Quote from: jjj
Always have a good filing arrangement for your folders as a starting point, as collections are only useful in the programme that formed them.

Well said. Collections (for me) serve three purposes: one, they are a holding tank for files intend for output; two, they are a holding tank for files needing metadata updates/revisions, and third a quick reference point for easy viewing of recent shoots. The one thing in common: all my collections are temporary. Folders, obviously not.

Eric

Brammers

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:55 am »

Firstly, it's a totally personal thing.  Just get something that works for you.

However here's how I do it.

My folders are arranged by year and then by 'event' depending on what I was doing that year.  So in 2008 I've got folders for shots I took for the Beltane society, shots I took for hype magazine, shots I took on the trans-siberian.  These are then sub-divided, so each edition of hype magazine gets its own folder etc.  It's easy to pick your winners out of these folders just by filtering based on stars.

My collections are for things that I do more than once.  I went to China in 2005, 2006, 2008 & 2009.  Shots from all of these years are in my 'China' collection.  I shot for Beltane in '07 and '08 - shots from both of these are in my 'Beltane' collection.  You can then have sub-collections - I've got a 'Beijing' sub-collection containing shots from BJ in '05,'06,'08,'09 etc.

Just how I do it - maybe of use to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up