Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 2450 4x5 scans  (Read 3964 times)

Jhaelen

Epson 2450 4x5 scans
« on: January 15, 2003, 12:33:42 pm »

I am not familiar with the 2450. Does the scanner require you to place the transparancy onto glass?

I have an older Epson flatbed model myself. At one time I found it necessary to disassemble the unit and clean the underside of the glass as well as the rest of the inside.

Also, I cannot stress enough how well a good scanner cover keeps the unit free from dust.

As for the chromes I clean them with Pec-12 before scanning. This has been quite effective in removing smudges and dust.

Daniel

samirkharusi

• http://www.geocities.com/samirkharusi/
Epson 2450 4x5 scans
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 02:14:42 am »

The 2450 holds film in mid-air. It's not in contact with anything. If your smudges, dust, whatever are in focus then before disassembling anything, better figure out how they can be in focus. They are all most likely on the transparency itself. Is it just a matter of expecting cleanliness that is unavailable? Scanning always leads to endless retouching of dust, etc. It's just a fact of life, and a major factor for people's enthusiasm when they first try a digital camera. Good luck but I suggest no big rush to disassembly...
Bored? Peruse my website: [url=http://ww

Doug_Dolde

Epson 2450 4x5 scans
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 12:02:04 pm »

I also have the 2450 and use it for 4x5.  If you use Silverfast 6.0 it comes with a dust and scratch removal filter which does a good job on the smaller dust specks without destroying the image.   I have found the raw scans to be quite soft if I use it with no sharpening during the scan.  The high pass filter sharpening technique (Michael has a page on this) works well at the end of my Photoshopping.  

This is certainly a cost effective scanner for 4x5 but I  get Tango drum scans for anything I want printed as top quality is the whole reason I shoot 4x5.  The shadow detail isn't nearly as good on the Epson as a drumscan.

I have a comparison of the 2450 to the Imacon Photo and a Screen DT-S1030ai drum scan here.

Dr. Gary

Epson 2450 4x5 scans
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 11:41:49 am »

I have had an Epson 2450 for several months and am having trouble with image quality with the scans when doing transprencies. The images hve smudges, and a lot of dust specs. I have cleaned repeatedly the glass bed with cleaner and an anti-reflective cloth, and also the 4x5 transparencies I am using. Am I missing something?

Dr. Gary

Dr. Gary

Epson 2450 4x5 scans
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 12:45:13 pm »

I think I may need to clean the underside fo the glass. It came this way from the factory. I would have thought this wouldn't be an issue. Now I hae to figure out how to dissassmble the unit to get to it.

Thanks!

Dr. Gary

Jacques Gratton

Epson 2450 4x5 scans
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 07:20:18 am »

Make sure there is no dust on the underside of the lamp in the lid.

Dr. Gary

Epson 2450 4x5 scans
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 10:57:33 pm »

My Scanner only came with Silver Fast 5. In addition, when I inverted the transparency in the folder, the smudges followed the image, hence they are on the transparency. I am using PEC-12 and have tried repeatedly to remove the objectionable smudges and spots. If I try any harder I will damage the emulsion. Does anyone have a better cleaner to recommend? As far as the image quality itself, I had to boost the Gamma to 3.0 to pick up anything in the sky. The slide was a 4x5 transparency shot at 11,500 feet in the White Mountains on Vuji Velvia and using a polarizing filter. It prints Fuji type R print OK. Am I missing something here?

Dr. Gary

Pages: [1]   Go Up