Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloud and Arch  (Read 3548 times)

Rob C

Cloud and Arch
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:03:09 am »

The new shot is strange: there is, to me, a decided clockwise rotatory force which makes it hard for me to concentrate on the content of the image. On analysis, it´s caused by the slightly difficult opposing forces of the beautiful wee cloud and the arch itself, a sense of impending slip!

BUT! The colours and tones are absolutely lovely. How much is straight from the box, as it were, a product of lens and sensor, how much stems from skill at the PS bureau I shall never know - unless Michael tells me - but however it was done, what a fantastic range of highs, lows and atmosphere.

Rob C

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Cloud and Arch
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:06:09 am »

I like the photograph very much - I am particularly attracted to the highlight of the sun coming through the arch on the left hand side - I think it would look fabulous in a large print.

I like the balance the lenticular cloud brings to the composition - Very nice photograph.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

SteveBlack

Cloud and Arch
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:39:15 am »

Quote from: Rob C
The new shot is strange: there is, to me, a decided clockwise rotatory force which makes it hard for me to concentrate on the content of the image. On analysis, it´s caused by the slightly difficult opposing forces of the beautiful wee cloud and the arch itself, a sense of impending slip!

BUT! The colours and tones are absolutely lovely. How much is straight from the box, as it were, a product of lens and sensor, how much stems from skill at the PS bureau I shall never know - unless Michael tells me - but however it was done, what a fantastic range of highs, lows and atmosphere.

Rob C

As someone in the same zodiac at Michael at that point, I can tell you two things.  One - I completely missed that shot as I was looking in a different direction at that point, but wish I wasn't!  And, that there is very little, if any PS work done on that (probably slight curves adjustments in lightroom).  The bergs on the trip varied dramatically in colour, but as we left the ship on the zodiac that morning (around 6:00 am or so) we all asked the driver to head for that blue arch in the distance - it was absolutely spectacular.

Edit:  After reading Michael's note on the photo, looks like his was taken later in the cruise after he and Chris had switched onto another zoidac (the last zodiac off the ship only had a few people in it, so they pulled a few people of various boats so we could have more room to move around).  I'll use that as a perfect excuse as to why I didn't get the shot

Steve
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 06:12:31 am by SteveBlack »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Cloud and Arch
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 07:37:31 am »

This is a marvelous image.  It has the elements of time scales that get to the core of what I love about photography.

The cloud position implies a fleeting moment.  The arch will last for a while, but we all know its destiny.  Then the rocks have a completely different physical and time scale.

Wonderful work Michael.  You're making me save my pennies for 2019...

Dave Chew
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:39:53 am by dchew »

michael

Cloud and Arch
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 08:31:56 am »

You're right Steve, it was after we switched Zodiacs, on the way back to the ship.

As for embellishment, people who know my work well know that my post processing work is usually quite limited, and in any event, Antarctica is so amazing it doesn't need any help from me.

Cheers,

Michael

Ps: I met with a couple of Toronto-based photographers who were on the trip during the past week and looked at their work. It's amazing how different our images are, and also how many great shots they have that I completely missed, even though we were standing nearby at the time. They are cursing and saying the same thing though. That's what makes shooting with others on a trip like this so much fun.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:32:30 am by michael »

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Cloud and Arch
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:33:43 pm »

Michael, When are you planning on setting up an exhibit in your studio? These images are fantastic in the smaller size, and in reference to the most recent image, even better at full web size posted. I would really like to see these printed at full size, and buy at least one or two of them.

Thanks,
- Michael Martin

michael

Cloud and Arch
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 05:20:18 pm »

It isn't carved in stone yet but I am planning an open house at the gallery the weekend of March 14-15.

Michael

paulbk

Cloud and Arch
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 06:10:47 pm »

Presence: the ability to project a sense of ease, poise, or self-assurance, esp. the quality or manner of bearing before an audience. Michael's photographs have presence.

I’m not a pro or close to it, but I know what I like. And I consistently enjoy Michael’s photographs. They are always pleasing to my eye. Have an element of understated drama, but don’t shout. Never over sharpened. Complex enough to invite interest and exploration, but not busy. Tonal range that complements, not conflicts. And there’s the soul soothing connection with the wonder of it all. Good work Michael.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Cloud and Arch
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:25 am »

Quote from: michael
It isn't carved in stone yet but I am planning an open house at the gallery the weekend of March 14-15.

Michael

Excellent. I will try to make it to Toronto for that weekend if that is the case!
Pages: [1]   Go Up