Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D60/550EX = Underexposure  (Read 1997 times)

Bill Lawrence

• http://
D60/550EX = Underexposure
« on: December 31, 2002, 04:33:52 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi,

I've been using the D60 with a 420 EX, and found the E-TTL to be pretty accurate (there are times when I would prefer plain TTL without the preflash, but such is life...).  If you're having problems with your system underexposing a scene, use the flash exposure compensation.  Press the flash button (same as the metering button) by the top lcd, and turn the back dial.  Up it by a half-stop to a stop, and see if that exposes it correctly for you.  

In some situations, I purposefully leave it on all the time, but usually to have the flash underexpose by half a stop.

Hope that helps!
Bill[/font]
Bill Lawrence
Photography: www.lawrences

Pete

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 06:21:49 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Sorry, hit the wrong keys

PSV,  
 On the 550 EX, you can activate the flash exposure compensation directly on the back of the flash itself.  Hit SEL/SET and then the PLUS or MINUS buttons.  I, too, have been a little frustrated with flash and the D60, but I find that sometimes a 2/3 plus compensation works well.  Not the perfect solution, but a practical one.  Play around and see how much compensation you need for certain subjects.  Skin tones as well as light or dark clothing may require additional or less compensation.  At least with digital, you can see results immediately and adjust for a second or third shot.  Good luck and happy shooting,

Pete[/font]

psv

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 02:55:04 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I have experienced the underexposure problem using the flash only. Although I can see why Canon would choose to bias metering down, I find it unacceptable to set it by default instead of offering it as a Custom Function. Exposure level is a function of the scene, not the camera! Does anybody have a solution besides the obvious manual exposure adjustment? TIA.[/font]

Pete

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 06:16:19 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi PSV,[/font]

Lex van Oorspronk

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2003, 05:21:07 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Here's an extensive article about Canon EOS flash. I think a lot of questions are clarified by this article. Hope this helps.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up