Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3DII39 and purple fringing  (Read 3068 times)

DaveRobertson

H3DII39 and purple fringing
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:22 pm »

Hi, I've recently demo'd this camera and found it prone to purple fringeing, as bad as I've ever seen to be honest, with both the 80mm and 35mm lenses.  Is this typical or is it possible this particular copy is defective?

Thanks,
Dave

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 03:35:37 am »

I use H2F + CF39MS which is in most part pretty much the same as the H3D39. This is totally weird, if anything is well under control it is CA and fringing.

What were the type of shots and how were the files processed? Processing through anything other than either Flexcolor or Phocus can result in CA or fringing and even than my experience is that it is really mild. When using Phocus or Flexcolor DAC will handle CA and fringing and very effectively I would say.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:29:46 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
I use H2F + CF39MS which is in most part pretty much the same as the H3D39. This is totally weird, if anything is well under control it is CA and fringing.

What were the type of shots and how were the files processed? Processing through anything other than either Flexcolor or Phocus can result in CA or fringing and even than my experience is that it is really mild. When using Phocus or Flexcolor DAC will handle CA and fringing and very effectively I would say.

I use the same back and body combo. I've always been impressed by how nonexistent color fringing, CA, is with th 80mm and 28mm. Those are the only two lenses I've used.

DaveRobertson

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:38:33 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take this up with the dealer.  These were late afternoon shots at 200 ISO, the problem arising around leafless tree branches against on overcast sky, files processed in Phocus.

Best,
Dave

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:48:41 pm »

Quote from: DaveRobertson
Thanks for the feedback, I'll take this up with the dealer.  These were late afternoon shots at 200 ISO, the problem arising around leafless tree branches against on overcast sky, files processed in Phocus.

Best,
Dave
I have the H3DII39--have not seen this.

Please post samples. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Derek

DaveRobertson

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »

Sure, here's one..

Thanks,
Dave
[attachment=11399:H39_test__0004_2.JPG]

Kind regards,
Derek
[/quote]

Robert Moore

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:48:54 am »

Sure, here's one..

Thanks,
Dave
[attachment=11399:H39_test__0004_2.JPG]

Kind regards,
Derek

Dave,

I have seen this occasionally with my H3D II 39 and 80. Make sure that all of the DAC correction check boxes are checked in Phocus.
It may improve what you are seeing. Also use the color noise slider above the moire correction at a medium level and see if this
helps. What was the F Stop setting? Some Out of Focus areas may be more prone to this CA display.

Bob

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 07:50:54 am by Robert Moore »

DaveRobertson

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »

Hi Bob, just doublechecked, everything seems to be checked although I'm obviously a newbie with Phocus.  I can't seem to improve anything, and I've tried the color noise slider as well.  I shot this right after picking up the camera, hand held 1/30 at f.3.5 which is nuts, not real world at all I wouldn't even attempt this normally with the Canon   This image shows purple fringing everywhere there's sky including areas where the values are in the 230's-40's (ie not all the sky readings are blown out.)  Subsequently I shot tests in the studio and they were beautiful but I'm concerned about the performance outdoors, this would be a very tricky shot to have to fix.

Thanks,
Dave

Quote from: Robert Moore
Dave,

I have seen this occasionally with my H3D II 39 and 80. Make sure that all of the DAC correction check boxes are checked in Phocus.
It may improve what you are seeing. Also use the color noise slider above the moire correction at a medium level and see if this
helps. What was the F Stop setting? Some Out of Focus areas may be more prone to this CA display.

Bob

Robert Moore

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 05:28:27 pm »

Hi Bob, just doublechecked, everything seems to be checked although I'm obviously a newbie with Phocus.  I can't seem to improve anything, and I've tried the color noise slider as well.  I shot this right after picking up the camera, hand held 1/30 at f.3.5 which is nuts, not real world at all I wouldn't even attempt this normally with the Canon   This image shows purple fringing everywhere there's sky including areas where the values are in the 230's-40's (ie not all the sky readings are blown out.)  Subsequently I shot tests in the studio and they were beautiful but I'm concerned about the performance outdoors, this would be a very tricky shot to have to fix.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

Try to repeat the conditions with a smaller aperture...my feelings are that you are seeing a lot of this in unsharp out of
focus areas. When I am outside it is tripod lock down and f8 - 11 unless I feel like throwing caution to the wind as regards
diffraction with an even smaller aperture. I rarely see this with normal landscape shooting...large aperture and lots of out of
focus areas then yes with the backlighting and transition areas as shown in your capture.

All things are possible, not all of them work well.

Over all it is a great system.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up