Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gallery Review: Is my work diverse enough?  (Read 1314 times)

Gear_Junkie

Gallery Review: Is my work diverse enough?
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:43:49 pm »

I finally got around to posting a few of my more recent shots on the web.  After looking at them for awhile, I just feel like the body of my work might not be diverse enough.  I definitely seem too have a certain style and I’m worried that it is too limiting, and/or just plain boring.  Maybe I'm in a slump, I dont know...

My images are posted at the following link:

www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&ns=1&pi=GEAR_JUNKIE&CGISESSID=5f102fd93ff7fc0486d3b5b8f685525c&u=17351

Any advice is appreciated.  Please by brutally honest, it won’t hurt my feelings.  And if you think that any images just plain don't make the cut, please tell me... even if it's all of them!

Thanks in advance!

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Gallery Review: Is my work diverse enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:39:42 pm »

Quote from: Gear_Junkie
I finally got around to posting a few of my more recent shots on the web.  After looking at them for awhile, I just feel like the body of my work might not be diverse enough.  I definitely seem too have a certain style and I’m worried that it is too limiting, and/or just plain boring.  Maybe I'm in a slump, I dont know...

My images are posted at the following link:

www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&ns=1&pi=GEAR_JUNKIE&CGISESSID=5f102fd93ff7fc0486d3b5b8f685525c&u=17351

Any advice is appreciated.  Please by brutally honest, it won’t hurt my feelings.  And if you think that any images just plain don't make the cut, please tell me... even if it's all of them!

Thanks in advance!
Some of your images are quite lovely. Singular macro and close up shots of elements of nature are beautiful, but there are so many people who make beautiful images like these. As those who frequent this area of LL know, I prefer abstracts and photographs which challenge my perception of the world, which is why I like tree abstract the best. It stops me, and I search in it for something else...whatever that 'else' may be.

I would firstly consider the arrangement of your gallery. I would put all of the one theme closer together , for example, all of the macro together, all of the macro flowers together, all of the fungi together, all the abstracts etc.

I think that this then would indicate to your viewer a more conscious and deliberate attempt at style and cohesiveness, rather than just a random hodge podge of images. Is there an option on that display site to arrange them in another way?

You may be surprised at what you glean from the images when you group them together. Their strengths and weaknesses will be more apparent, singularly and as a whole, then you may be able to more clearly determine what route to take from here.

Julie
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:40:23 pm by jule »
Pages: [1]   Go Up