Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P, P+ backs and old Hassy V  (Read 2513 times)

Jonathan Lee

P, P+ backs and old Hassy V
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:39:17 pm »

I have a 500CM and an EL/M that I am considering a P20 or P25.  When I go to the phaseone site and look at the technical specs for both P and P+ backs, one page says that all Hassy V backs are compatible (www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P-,-a-,H-series/Compatibility%20chart.aspx).  However, when I go to the datasheet page, under cameras supported, it doesn't list the 500CM or the ELM, only listing the 501CM and the ELD and ELX.  

What gives?

yongfei

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:01:50 pm »

I think it is compatible, but not supported by Phase if you run into problem. So both statement are true

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 04:49:12 am »

P20 works on my 500CM, but I advise a service first as alignment is critical for best results in focussing.

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:44:56 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Lee
I have a 500CM and an EL/M that I am considering a P20 or P25.  When I go to the phaseone site and look at the technical specs for both P and P+ backs, one page says that all Hassy V backs are compatible (www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P-,-a-,H-series/Compatibility%20chart.aspx).  However, when I go to the datasheet page, under cameras supported, it doesn't list the 500CM or the ELM, only listing the 501CM and the ELD and ELX.  

What gives?

I have may Phase One backs installed on that series of Hasselblad. Do not worry. I always wondered why they state this on the spec. One thing is true and that is older Hasselblads like these are not always in factory spec. The focus screen is one thing to check. I would send it back to Hasselblad and I think for $100 they will clean and align to factory specs. One other thing is that the Pal pin that comes from the body and would normally travel into the film back needs to be very clean. When it becomes tarnished it cannot wake the Phase One back up so you will get misfires and two shot time out messages. Phase One published a white paper that describes this issue and how to overcome it but in a nutshell you want to clean the Pal pin by pressing the release and holding it on B, use a piece of sand paper or emory board to clean or sand off that tarnished build up that occurs on older Hasselblad V systems. You also want to make sure that your lenses are firing correctly because if they skip with flash on film they will skip shots and cause errors with digital backs.

Hasselblad V works great and very reliable. Just some things to double and triple check before you jump in.

Good Luck

Chris Snipes
Phase One Reseller
Image Production, Inc

www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

Jonathan Lee

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 07:09:12 am »

Thanks guys, those are good points.  Both cameras could use a CLA.  I'll get them to check focus too. I had focus issues with some Leica M8 lenses when I moved to "35mm" digital.  Easy fix on an M8, I'll probably leave that to a service tech for Hassy.

My Pal pins seem pretty shiny but hadn't considered the flash synch though.  I hardly ever use flash.

Jonathan

Quote from: digitalcameraman
I have may Phase One backs installed on that series of Hasselblad. Do not worry. I always wondered why they state this on the spec. One thing is true and that is older Hasselblads like these are not always in factory spec. The focus screen is one thing to check. I would send it back to Hasselblad and I think for $100 they will clean and align to factory specs. One other thing is that the Pal pin that comes from the body and would normally travel into the film back needs to be very clean. When it becomes tarnished it cannot wake the Phase One back up so you will get misfires and two shot time out messages. Phase One published a white paper that describes this issue and how to overcome it but in a nutshell you want to clean the Pal pin by pressing the release and holding it on B, use a piece of sand paper or emory board to clean or sand off that tarnished build up that occurs on older Hasselblad V systems. You also want to make sure that your lenses are firing correctly because if they skip with flash on film they will skip shots and cause errors with digital backs.

Hasselblad V works great and very reliable. Just some things to double and triple check before you jump in.

Good Luck

Chris Snipes
Phase One Reseller
Image Production, Inc

www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up