Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya DL28 in low light?  (Read 1607 times)

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28 in low light?
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »

Hi, does anyone yet have the Mamiya DL28? I am wondering how it does at high ISOs. At 50 it looks amazing.
And with an extra lens thrown in, $15K looks like a steal for the kit.

*Also, I am wondering of anyone knows if Mamiya have done anything about the shutter delay issues with these bodies. I remember using them a few times and their seemed to be about a .25 second delay for some reason. And then I thought there may have been some firmware fix...

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:08:21 pm by lisa_r »

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:48:53 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Hi, does anyone yet have the Mamiya DL28? I am wondering how it does at high ISOs. At 50 it looks amazing.
And with an extra lens thrown in, $15K looks like a steal for the kit.

*Also, I am wondering of anyone knows if Mamiya have done anything about the shutter delay issues with these bodies. I remember using them a few times and their seemed to be about a .25 second delay for some reason. And then I thought there may have been some firmware fix...

Thanks.

Hi Lisa,

I own the kit.  So far, I'm in love.  But, then again, I previously owned the Mamiya ZD digital back, so there's certainly some of this that is all relative.    

As far as use in low light. There too is a relative term.  I think, with a little work in LC, the Leaf II 6 produces decent files up to ISO 400.  They're not perfect, but the noise is workable and generally pleasant enough.  The back in theory goes to 800 but I think those files are too noisy for any use, unless it's the look you're going for. In no way does the low light performance rival the current pro 35mm DSLRs, but they really are different tools in that regard. Add to this that it depends on your use/photography type. I'm not sure clients for fashion would want anything produced with ISO 400, probably 200 is the extreme limit on that end.  However, if street/location-based shoots are going for a slightly edgier look, 400 could work, I guess, though I imagine there that you're probably moving to a different tool (D3/5DII).

Next, as to the shutter delay on the AFD III, it's virtually gone with the latest firmware (which it should ship with, mine did).  It is much faster than the AFD and AFD II.   Not laggy enough to make me even think about it.

-Josh
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:49:59 pm by JDBFreeheel »

lisa_r

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:13 pm »

Thanks for the quick and useful reply Josh. Exactly in info I needed.
Also, do you know if the firmware updates did away with the delay on the I or II or just the newer III?
Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:07:43 pm by lisa_r »

smhoer

• http://www.skylightimaging.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:56 pm »

Lisa,
Only for the AFDIII/Phase One.  They are no longer updating the firmware for the AFDI or AFDII
Scott H.
North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up