Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any good photography spots in Cornwall, UK?  (Read 8926 times)

franky_penguin

Any good photography spots in Cornwall, UK?
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:43:44 am »

I am going to cornwall this saturday and I heard that is beautiful, but I want to know if there is any popular location known for photographers?

name and location will be very helpful if anyone knows.

many thanks

Franklin

LoisWakeman

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:43:34 am »

Well, I think the weather will be against you if the forecast is 1/2 accurate!

The whole of the coastline has attractions: granite cliffs, slates and sand dunes all offer interesting spots. Lots of Neolithic and ruined industrial sites inland too if that is of interest. My favourite bit is West Penwith, which is wilder and less crowded - or at least was when I last went - too long ago now

The Crowns mine near Botallack has 2 engine houses by the sea, and Portheras Cove has some nice egg-shaped granite boulders.

franky_penguin

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:14 am »

Quote from: LoisWakeman
Well, I think the weather will be against you if the forecast is 1/2 accurate!

The whole of the coastline has attractions: granite cliffs, slates and sand dunes all offer interesting spots. Lots of Neolithic and ruined industrial sites inland too if that is of interest. My favourite bit is West Penwith, which is wilder and less crowded - or at least was when I last went - too long ago now

The Crowns mine near Botallack has 2 engine houses by the sea, and Portheras Cove has some nice egg-shaped granite boulders.

I know, the weather is horrible lately!. I live in the south and we are getting a little bit of sunhire today, so hopefully it will stay that way until saturday

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:16:52 pm »

West Penwith is wonderful - wild coastal scenery, old engine houses, plenty of megalithic sites. Further north, Bedruthan Steps is worth a visit - best at low tide where that coincides with sunset. On the other coast, Mevagissy & Polperro are two of the most photogenic fishing villages.

franky_penguin

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:11:16 pm »

wicked! thx for the info!

5thElefant

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:19:36 am »

The cliffs near Treen (a few miles from lands end) offer stunning views over beaches at low tide and there is a picturesque fishing village a mile or so to the west. You'll turn up lots of photos on flickr of Treen.

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 04:51:03 am »

Quote from: franky_penguin
I am going to cornwall this saturday and I heard that is beautiful, but I want to know if there is any popular location known for photographers?

name and location will be very helpful if anyone knows.

many thanks

Franklin

I think the forecourt of the Landrover dealership might be a good place!      You will need a good 4x4 to get anywhwere by all accounts.

If you do make it the castle ruins at Tintagel can be very atmospheric. Clovelly is another picture postcardy type place. Some indoor shots of an open fire in Jamaica Inn (don't know if there really is one there, but any old pub would do)

franky_penguin

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:46:15 am »

i don't have a 4X4  ...

there seems to be quite a few place i can go, I wonder I can visit all of them in one day :S

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:22:04 am »

You might have problems getting into Cornwall this Saturday - M5 is closed at Exeter, A30 is closed, A38 is closed, and don't even think about crossing Dartmoor. I was due to go to Dartmoor today for the weekend; not a chance. This evening, temperatures are expected to drop to about minus ten Centigrade, leaving partially thawed snow as ice. Roads will be closed again.

franky_penguin

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:12:30 am »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
You might have problems getting into Cornwall this Saturday - M5 is closed at Exeter, A30 is closed, A38 is closed, and don't even think about crossing Dartmoor. I was due to go to Dartmoor today for the weekend; not a chance. This evening, temperatures are expected to drop to about minus ten Centigrade, leaving partially thawed snow as ice. Roads will be closed again.

oh crap! those are all the main roads, how can local people even travel?

franky_penguin

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:03 am »

The weather forecast doesn't seem to mention anything about that thou, it says still sunny in plymouth at the moment. And there may be light shower tomorrow.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:50:22 am »

Plymouth is fine - if you can get to Plymouth! Police closed the M5 at Exeter because the snow was so bad at Telegraph Hill (A38 / A380) - the military, emergency services, Dartmoor Rescue Group etc were inolved in rescuing motorists as about 200 cars got stuck in heavy snow! A30 closed approaching Okehampton, closed again over Bodmin Moor.

franky_penguin

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:04:52 am »

any where on the web I can find out the latest update on those traffic conditions?

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 04:34:41 pm »

Quote from: franky_penguin
any where on the web I can find out the latest update on those traffic conditions?

Highways agency website.
http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/traffic.aspx

Tomtom HD - Live traffic updates
http://www.tomtom.com/hdtraffic/?region=West-Country
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 04:41:48 pm »

Latest suggest that routes are now open, though carriageways might be restricted. A38 south of Exeter still a problem with abandoned cars, but should be clear by tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up