Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add On Lenses for digicams  (Read 3345 times)

daveg

Add On Lenses for digicams
« on: August 30, 2002, 07:18:47 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I used these a few years ago with my long retired Kodak DC260.  I had a super-wide angle which was pretty cool, but there was very noticiable distortion and vignetting.  I still used it quite a bit because it was faster than doing stitched panorama and great quality wasn't critical to the project.

I also had a 2x "telephoto" but the limited aperature and general degredation in image quality kept it in its bag.

I think these add-on optics are a last resort, but be prepared to be disappointed.

- dave[/font]

Tillman Kleinhans

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 05:41:37 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I use an Olympus E10 in school and it has a wide angle 'converter'.  So far, I've not been disapointed with this add on lens, in fact it has made it possible to take a lot more photos.  I have to say, I would miss it if it wasn't available.  However, it was very expensive! No matter though, school was paying.[/font]

leon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 03:08:31 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Can anyone comment on quality & recommend a place to get wide angle accessory for Sony F707? It is priced as if Sony didn't want to sell it.[/font]

adri

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 06:27:54 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Digicam makers like Sony, Nikon, etc. make available add-on lenses to make the supplied camera lens wider or more telephotic. Third party lenses by Kenko or Raynox are other examples of this procedure. Does anyone have any experience with these lenses gadgets? How good are they really?

Thanks[/font]

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 07:47:50 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']The quality and quantity of add on lenses from Nikon was a major factor in my decision to go with the Nikon 990 as my first digicam.

I bought Nikon's 2x extender and have been VERY happy with it. In actual use, I've found no difference in lens sharpness, color,or contrast with it on the camera. The front element is huge so you don't lose any lens speed when using it. You will lose low end zoom, however. To avoid vignette you are limited to about 120-225mm focal lengths.

I also added an Eagle Eye 5x lens to my kit. You do lose some lens speed with this one, and you have a rather restricted zoom range (almost no zoom, actually), but it is reasonably sharp across the frame and when 550mm is all that will get the shot...

In addition to the 2x, Nikon has a 3x, a wide angle (about 0.7x I believe), and a fisheye. They've recently added a LED based ring lite for macro work. I don't think anyone can touch them for completeness of kit in the digicam market and the quailty (and price) is what you would expect with the Nikon name.

Nikon has added a number of digicams since my 990. Some work with these accessories as is, some require adapter rings of one sort or another, and some probabley don't work well. So check the camera reviews if this is driving your decision.

Happy shooting,

Charlie[/font]

Hank

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 01:41:16 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I can echo Charlies observations about the 990 and its add-ons.  It got me started in digital too, and though I have moved on to DSLRs, I still cherish and use the 990 and its accessories.  It is a welcome alternative to carrying larger, heavier and more expensive gear into risky or remote situations.  The images it produces are worthy, and in fact I have had many 990 published and produced prints with reasonable gallery sales histories.

Hank[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up