Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D upgrade to H3DII  (Read 3763 times)

dougorama1

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:50:04 am »

Can the IR filter be replaced on the "I" to make it a "II?" Seems this is the most important difference as far as image quality is concerned.

hubell

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:10:05 am »

Quote from: dougorama1
Can the IR filter be replaced on the "I" to make it a "II?" Seems this is the most important difference as far as image quality is concerned.

Yes, I had Hasselblad do it for me last summer. The replacement ran somewhere between US $400-$500.

j.miller

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:10:20 am »

Doug,
      The IR filter/cover glass can be replaced on the H3D, with the new and improved IR filter/cover glass found in the H3DII. This replacement is automatically done if you send your back to Hasselblad for IR filter/cover glass related service (cleaning, replacement, etc). Normal MSRP cost of IR filter/cleaning (which always involves the replacement of the filter) is $475.00, which takes place in Hasselblad's Denmark service facility.

Regards,

Quote from: dougorama1

sperera

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:07 am »

Quote from: JEM_DTG
Doug,
      The IR filter/cover glass can be replaced on the H3D, with the new and improved IR filter/cover glass found in the H3DII. This replacement is automatically done if you send your back to Hasselblad for IR filter/cover glass related service (cleaning, replacement, etc). Normal MSRP cost of IR filter/cleaning (which always involves the replacement of the filter) is $475.00, which takes place in Hasselblad's Denmark service facility.

Regards,
can someone explain this IR filter to me?
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

j.miller

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:27:03 am »

sperera,
    The cover glass in front of the imaging sensor (the green-tinted glass), incorporates a IR (infrared) cutoff filter element to eliminate the image artifacts that can present when IR radiation is found in the image/scene. This is an integral part of the image sensor for most digital back manufacturers, with the current exemption being the Mamiya ZD.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Quote from: sperera
can someone explain this IR filter to me?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:59:11 am by JEM_DTG »

sperera

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:09:44 am »

Quote from: JEM_DTG
sperera,
    The cover glass in front of the imaging sensor (the green-tinted glass), incorporates a IR (infrared) cutoff filter element to eliminate the image artifacts that can present when IR radiation is found in the image/scene. This is an integral part of the image sensor for most digital back manufacturers, with the current exemption being the Mamiya ZD.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG, Inc.
I was told the sensor (chip) was exactly the same on the H3D and H3D II systems, hence exactly the same image quality....this affects image quality thus doesnt it.....so who does one believe
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:10:11 am by sperera »
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

sperera

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:20:16 am »

Quote from: hcubell
Yes, I had Hasselblad do it for me last summer. The replacement ran somewhere between US $400-$500.
did you notice the difference....honestly? was it worth it????
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

j.miller

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 12:47:12 pm »

Whoever told you this, was in-fact correct. The imaging sensor is the same between the H3D-39 and H3DII-39. However, the IR filter/cover was improved in the latter generation. In the majority of applications, the image quality is identical, however in instances where you have very strong specular highlights (especially surrounded by dark shadow areas), the older IR filter/cover glass presented some reflection artifacts.

In my experience, I have found only a very small percentage of users ever experience an "issue" with the IR filter/cover glass found in the H3D generation. Most users I come into contact with are unaware there was a need for change.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Quote from: sperera
I was told the sensor (chip) was exactly the same on the H3D and H3D II systems, hence exactly the same image quality...so who does one believe
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:59:19 am by JEM_DTG »

sperera

H3D upgrade to H3DII
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »

thanks for your reply.....appreciate it!
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up